Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With iOS 14 and iPadOS 14, Apple allowed users to select third-party apps as the default email app and browser. Last month, a widespread bug reverted these settings to Apple's default apps whenever a user's device was rebooted.

Although that bug was fixed, a new bug in iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 is now afflicting the selection of third-party email apps and browsers. It appears that whenever a selected third-party app is updated, the default app selection for email app or browser is reset to Apple's Mail or Safari.

ios14-and-default-gmail-feature.jpg

The Verge has now confirmed that whenever you update your chosen default app via the App Store in iOS 14.1, it gets removed from the default app slot.

Users should be aware that they will need to re-select their preferences every time a third-party mail app or browser that has been set as default is updated. You may wish to avoid updating your preferred third-party browser or mail app until it is convenient to reselect the default in settings, or until Apple has released a fix.

However, MacRumors understands that the bug may have already been fixed in the iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2 betas.

The likes of Chrome, Edge, DuckDuckGo, and Firefox can be set as default browsers, while Gmail, Spark, and Microsoft Outlook can be set as default Mail apps, among others. Users who prefer an alternative to Safari or Apple's native Mail app can choose an alternative and it should be opened automatically whenever the system requires it, providing the app has not recently been updated, that is.

Article Link: Third-Party Default Email and Browser Apps in iOS 14 Reset After App Updates

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
How do I select another app as my primary?

With iOS 14 and iPadOS 14, Apple allowed users to select third-party apps as the default email app and browser. Last month, a widespread bug reverted these settings to Apple's default apps whenever a user's device was rebooted.

Although that bug was fixed, a new bug in iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 is now afflicting the selection of third-party email apps and browsers. It appears that whenever a selected third-party app is updated, the default app selection for email app or browser is reset to Apple's Mail or Safari.

ios14-and-default-gmail-feature.jpg

The Verge has now confirmed that whenever you update your chosen default app via the App Store in iOS 14.1, it gets removed from the default app slot.

Users should be aware that they will need to re-select their preferences every time a third-party mail app or browser that has been set as default is updated. You may wish to avoid updating your preferred third-party browser or mail app until it is convenient to reselect the default in settings, or until Apple has released a fix.

However, MacRumors understands that the bug may have already been fixed in the iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2 betas.

The likes of Chrome, Edge, DuckDuckGo, and Firefox can be set as default browsers, while Gmail, Spark, and Microsoft Outlook can be set as default Mail apps, among others. Users who prefer an alternative to Safari or Apple's native Mail app can choose an alternative and it should be opened automatically whenever the system requires it, providing the app has not recently been updated, that is.

Article Link: Third-Party Default Email and Browser Apps in iOS 14 Reset After App Updates

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Wow....seriously, no one ever tested past reboot or upgrading an app in all those months iOS 14 was in development?
These are the most basic flaws, its like they weren't even trying

Well, seeing as they didn’t have any third-party apps to test it on (the apps couldn’t be updated to iOS 14 until after the 14 GM release) they couldn’t test updating apps.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
I have never been able to make this work with Gmail unless I deleted the stock iOS mail app. My apps are all updated. In Gmail itself, I do not see an option to make it default. Should it be there? I know of the iOS Settings app way of selecting Gmail to be default, but the Gmail app makes no reference to it. Any ideas?

Confused Vorlon

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
Meanwhile - if you delete the Mail app and pick (say) Gmail as your default, then the standard way for Apps to send email stops working completely.

• Wow
Reactions: SqlInjection

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
Well, seeing as they didn’t have any third-party apps to test it on (the apps couldn’t be updated to iOS 14 until after the 14 GM release) they couldn’t test updating apps.

You don't need a 3rd party app to test it with; you build a simple dummy app in house that doesn't do anything and test that it gets associated and triggered when needed. Thats how software development works, you don't release a feature without testing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.