Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dadiy

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
This was fixed?? I must have missed that, YouTube asks me every single time.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
With iOS 14 and iPadOS 14, Apple allowed users to select third-party apps as the default email app and browser. Last month, a widespread bug reverted these settings to Apple's default apps whenever a user's device was rebooted.

Although that bug was fixed, a new bug in iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 is now afflicting the selection of third-party email apps and browsers. It appears that whenever a selected third-party app is updated, the default app selection for email app or browser is reset to Apple's Mail or Safari.

A bug?

It's a feature. It's just like in Windows 10 where apps you delete reappear or custom settings revert back to default after an OS update.

pilotpat

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
Nebraska, USA
I have never been able to make this work with Gmail unless I deleted the stock iOS mail app. My apps are all updated. In Gmail itself, I do not see an option to make it default. Should it be there? I know of the iOS Settings app way of selecting Gmail to be default, but the Gmail app makes no reference to it. Any ideas?
No, it's not in the app. It's a system level setting so it's in the settings app.

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Now this is why they only started with two apps, Email and Browser. Got to work out the bugs of changing the default of those two before moving onto more app types like maps or music.

• Haha
Reactions: Lazy

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
That's not a bug. They'll reset to the defaults as they have the latest framework updates. You'll see updates by those third party OEMs. People seem to forget that updating an OS includes all the applications for the userspace. No one is waiting on the 3rd party OEMs to get their stuff updated on time and then delaying a launch because Google or whatever dropped the ball.

eastwoodandy

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2016
Nottingham, England
That's not a bug. They'll reset to the defaults as they have the latest framework updates. You'll see updates by those third party OEMs. People seem to forget that updating an OS includes all the applications for the userspace. No one is waiting on the 3rd party OEMs to get their stuff updated on time and then delaying a launch because Google or whatever dropped the ball.
I think the point here is it’s not after the OS update, it’s on this new OS, whenever the individual app updates in the future, the default app is reset then.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Wow....seriously, no one ever tested past reboot or upgrading an app in all those months iOS 14 was in development?
These are the most basic flaws, its like they weren't even trying

Probably the same QA team that approved the MagSafe Wallet :'D

• Haha
Reactions: NMBob

PTLove

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
This is just shockingly bad QA. This is literally one of the most obvious use-cases imaginable, and it fails.

Reactions: mikeleeuk

zackkitzmiller

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2007
MacRumors Forums are so incredibly toxic. Bugs happen. No engineer wrote code or PM intentionally wrote a spec that attempted to revert to Apple default. This source of this bug is so obvious, the bundle IDs don't match whatever is in the plist or sqlite or whatever. HUGE oversight, yup. It's a bad one. But it almost certainly wasn't intentional, would have been obvious to get flagged, etc.

Reactions: grahamwright1

Konigi

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2017
Montréal, Québec
Lol. I get Apple just doesn't want us to changer the default apps.

Like someone offering you a gift but still holding on to it when handing it to you.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
This has nothing to do with an OS update. It's the individual app update that's being affected. It also has nothing to do with 3rd parties not updating their stuff in a timely manner. Kinda seems like you didn't even read the article.

Chrism9621

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2017
Lol, **** Apple I hope they get an antitrust and they pay for it that’s certainly not a bug they want you to use their email and safari apps ? **** them and the Apple fans getting ****

Last edited by a moderator:

mccaffertee

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2014
Orlando, FL
Wow....seriously, no one ever tested past reboot or upgrading an app in all those months iOS 14 was in development?
These are the most basic flaws, its like they weren't even trying
Lol.... that’s because this “rush” is in direct response to the Google Lawsuit yesterday...

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Here is our new feature of iOS 14 that we never tested although we had multiple betas released world wide...we are also a trillion dollar company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.