Third Report Says Apple's AirPower Charging Mat Will Launch in March

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's new AirPower inductive charging mat will be released by the end of March, according to Taiwanese website DigiTimes.

[​IMG]

The report, citing industry sources, claims the AirPower will have a maximum charging performance of up to 29 watts, compared to 7.5 watts for single-device wireless charging pads like the Belkin Boost Up and the Mophie Wireless Charging Base for the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.

Apple said the AirPower will be released in 2018, but it hasn't provided an exact release date or pricing. Apple blogs Mac Otakara and The Apple Post also reported that the charging mat will be released in March, which is a common month for Apple to introduce new products, including a new 9.7-inch iPad last year.

AirPower is an oval-shaped accessory that can inductively charge multiple Apple devices at once, including the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, and Apple Watch Series 3 models. It will also be able to charge AirPods when they are placed in a new inductive charging case set to launch alongside AirPower.

The mat's ability to charge multiple devices will be achieved with a propriety technology developed by Apple. Apple said it will work to have its technology become part of the universal Qi standard supported by the latest iPhones.

It's still unclear if Apple will announce the AirPower's availability at a March event alongside other new products, via press release, or quietly with an update to its online store. If there is an event planned, Apple will likely send invitations to the media by Thursday at the absolute latest.

Article Link: Third Report Says Apple's AirPower Charging Mat Will Launch in March

2. PastaPrimav macrumors regular

3. WilliamG macrumors G3

The price can’t really be $199, can it? I mean...really?

4. majurg macrumors newbie

majurg

Probably yes

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I don't think it will be $199. Can't wait for this!

6. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

If the price point is around $200, I can’t justify the price point for a wireless charger for an iPhone X or 8 unless someone has the Series 3 Apple and the wireless Airpod charging battery case . That’s honestly to high for a wireless charging unit.

7. bbednarz macrumors member

Even having all of those devices its REALLY hard to justify it if its $200.. $200 for a minor convenience.. yikes.. $100 and they will sell well imo. $149 is my guess.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I question if it really will be $200, it might be around $129 to $150. That seems somewhat more appropriate. I just don’t think the average consumer will spend $200, given many likely don’t have all three devices to take full of advantage of the AirPower.

9. WilliamG macrumors G3

It’s not just $199, either - if that’s the price. You have to at minimum figure in the cost of the new AirPods case.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I can't believe we are so starved for cool new products that there is excitement over a charging mat.

11. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

12. rjtyork macrumors regular

When other charging mats are only $10, there’s no way I’m buying this unless it’s $50. I know that’s not going to happen, but that’s the price point that will make me buy it. I’m definitely wanting that AirPod case too. I like that I only have to charge my AirPods every 4-7 days, but the battery indicator doesn’t show me the life fast enough most of the time so I have no idea when they’re going to die. I’d like to be able to just set it on the mat next to my watch and my phone (although I’ll hate to give up my nightstand mode for the watch) and I’ll never have that problem anymore.

13. ACST Suspended

Charging mats are not 10 dollars, maybe from crappy Chinese outlets (but you shouldn't want those in your home), from brands like Belkin/RavPower/Anker it's more like 30 to 60 dollars.

So a triple pad (which this basically is) with new technology is never gonna be 50 dollars (be a bit realistic dude, for 50 dollars the whole world would buy it, because it would be incredibly cheap).

100-150 dollars would be a fair price, so knowing Apple it's gonna be 250, maybe 200 if they're feeling generous.

14. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

15. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

As an Apple fan, a charging mat really doesn’t ‘excite’ me. I see the convenience without using a wire. But I personally like to use my iPhone while charging. I just don’t need to have my iPhone stationary on a mat to charge. It’s just not a product specifically for me at this alleged price point.

16. ACST Suspended

You really think people who have a iPhone X and a new Apple watch care about money or the difference between 100 and 200 dollars?

17. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

Yes!

I have an X and an AW and there is no way I'd pay $200 for a charging pad.. I am sure some will but my guess is there won't be many buyers at that price.

18. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Apple Special Event, March 27, 2018:
    • AirPower
    • AirPod charging case
    • New Apple Watch Bands (maybe metal bands that work better at snapping apart with AirPower?)
    • iPhone SE 2
    • New iPad 9.7" (iPad Mini discontinued)
    • iPhone 8 or X in a deep blue
    • AirPlay 2/stereo HomePod talk/demo?
    • Retina MacBook Air
    That would probably be enough to justify a small event at Steve Jobs Theater.

If they're thinking their WWDC keynote will be packed, they could unveil their TV service early since Eddy Cue was just talking about it the other day, to launch "later this year." But that seems like more of a September event thing?

In my wildest dreams I hope they give a sneak preview of the modular Mac Pro and new 5K Thunderbolt Display, available this summer (probably to launch with more details at WWDC). But realistically we probably won't hear a peep about it until then at the earliest.

19. ACST Suspended

Because real charging mats don't exist right now and this will be the first mainstream one, it's all 1 product per coil right now and this is a real charging mat where on a small surface up to 3 devices can charge. That's kinda a big deal.

20. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

I’m totally content with my $15 - $20 wireless charging pads. I prefer the stands, as you can see your phone more easily while charging.

$100 - $200? When pigs fly.

21. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 6502a

H3LL5P4WN

I do. But I "only" have a Series 2, so I guess I don't count, lol.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I do think they care. Just because someone has an iPhone X and Apple Watch Series 3 doesn’t mean they’re willing to spend $200 on a charging mat. Consumers are not going to find that price point attractive no matter how you spin this. Are there those who will purchase this? Yes. But there are other alternatives to charge your iPhone X for cheaper on the market if someone wanted it.

23. McTool macrumors regular

McTool

1. Paid €38 for mine. You can put your iPhone vertically or lay it flat and is fast charging. And €25 for a non fast charger for in the bedroom. If Apple’s Airpower is €/$199 then they need to see a psychiatrist.

24. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

I’ve been using two $10-$15 charging mats since I got my iPhone X on launch day. They work great.