This article was mentioned By John Gruber about iOS. It's Brilliant and Spot on

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by hasanahmad, Oct 1, 2014.

1. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

http://rustyshelf.org/2014/10/01/it-just-works/

2. X-X macrumors 6502

100% correct.

I think Craig Federighi either has to go, or be a WAY better team manager.

Since he's in charge all Apple software sucks most of the time.

3. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

It is descriptive and accurate, but I would not call it brilliant. There is no special insight or original thought.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

But look at how many people have been calling 7.1.2 so solid and 8 a disaster. Yet the article has it the other way around, at least about iOS 7. So, what does that really tell us? Everyone has a different experience and there are plenty that are hair fine while there are almost always some that have issues even in those "golden" days from a decade or so ago.

5. hasanahmad thread starter macrumors 65816

He mentions 7 not 7.1.2 where he makes the bigger point that a major release shouldn't have this many bugs in the onset or we can just call it windows

6. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

6 has been one of the better numbers for Apple. OS X 10.6 is still hailed as the most stable, useable version of the OS, and iOS 6 was the same.

Change for change's sake is a mistake.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

7 includes 7.1.2 especially in the way he progressed from mentioning 7 to talking about 8 addressing issues he had in 7.

8. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would definitely love to see less of a rigid update schedule. I know you can obviously withhold or add in features in a release, but the complete version number change means you're trying to turn heads and obviously will throw a lot of stuff at people.

I've experienced firsthand when people say they want something delivered in x days or x months without first figuring out whether that's feasible. You can't do that. Now Apple is a much better machine than what I was doing, but I wouldn't at all be shocked to see similar stuff going on.

If iOS 9 takes 13.5 months to get right, release it in 13.5 months. Don't release something that isn't ready in 12. Someone once told me that in all projects, you can do two of three things: you can do it fast, you can do it cheap, you can do it with quality. You can only do two. Apple preaches quality and swims in money, so obviously the speed should be the last thing.

10. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Rumblin bumblin stumblin... what the **** is this guy talking about? He lost me after "iTunes takes forever to load..." :rolleyes:

11. Jimrod macrumors 65816

Well some of us are on PC's (not the guy writing the article I know), try opening up your film list on it when you connect to your iDevice and you'll be waiting for minutes just to scroll the screen down. It's awful software.

12. Lictor macrumors 6502

I think Apple is facing two problems...

First, Steve Jobs is gone. I think he provided Apple with vision and with the ability to make people believe the impossible could be done. He also managed to balance opposite strong personalities in Apple. Apple is now sorely missing it and no one is there to balance Jonathan Ive ideas with reality.

But most of all, Apple is a very rich company trying to do a lot of things at once. But money doesn't buy everything. A reality in software industry is that if a project goes too slowly, spending twice as much on it won't make it progress twice as fast - but it might produce twice as many bugs.
    Maybe Apple needs to learn that. Maybe Apple needs to learn that a products doesn't come out when marketing says so, it does come out when it's ready enough. That's how you produce quality software...

13. oldmacs macrumors 68040

oldmacs

I never had issues with iOS 4 on an iPod Touch 4 or the family iPod touch 2nd gen. iOS 5 was a little slow but generally worked extremely well on my Touch 4 and iPad 2, iOS 6 actually sped things up on my iPod Touch, 3GS and it ran very well on my iPhone 4. iOS 7.0 was a little buggy till 7.0.4, but I was running an iPhone 4 and iPad 2, the oldest iPad and iPhone to run iOS 7. This year I have a iPad 2 and iPhone 5, and iOS 8 is fair more buggy on my iPhone 5 than any other iOS and device combination I've had.

OSX has become worse as well. Lion for me was slow, but stable. Mountain Lion sped things up a bit and was not overly buggy. Mavericks has been a train wreck of bugginess right from the beginning and still is.

Apple in the past had issues with slower software - EG iOS 5 ran a bit slower on older hardware, as did Lion, but it was not buggy to the extent iOS 8 and Mavericks.

I think that they should have a 1.5 year cycle for iOS and OSX. Or just 1.5 years for OSX and iOS has some of its features spread across several .1,.2 updates to ensure less bugginess.

14. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I disagree with most of the content. I'm pretty happy with iOS 8, and I trust iCloud. iTunes is blazing fast for me, and I have no issues managing my own photos.

The slowness of the trend to adapt apps for the new devices wasn't expected however, and the scaling hasn't revealed to be as outstanding as advertised.

HealthKit will probably make more sense with the Watch, and maybe they shouldn't have rushed it, just like 8.0.1.
    It's worth to notice that they almost immediately pulled the faulty update, and released 8.0.2 soon after. You can't always expect perfection from any company, really, and highlighting one company's mistake - such as 8.0.1 - that has been almost immediately fixed does not make much sense.

15. Wormald macrumors regular

I'm anxious about all of the recent slip-ups.

Apple announced so many new software features at WWDC (continuity, extensions, iCloud drive etc.) that in hindsight, the mess looked inevitable.

Once this palaver gets sorted, I really hope they focus on building their own stack for cloud services, instead of using a patchwork of third-party stuff.

The marketing guys need to stop dictating release dates, and let the product guys do their thing in their own time.

16. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Hehe, funny... But oooooooh so true... :rolleyes:

17. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I don't really notice it, either on OS X or Windows 7.

18. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Funny how people forget all the X.0 releases, including iOS 3 and 4 and 10.5 and 10.6 - ALL of them were a MESS in the beginning.

But then the complaining teenagers here were not even born to remember this.:rolleyes:

19. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

Depend on the underlying attitudes though; would 18 months or two years be used to finish what they've started or just squandered on even more half finished features?

Folks have said the hardware side has developed an anorexic obsession with thinness, if so then the software side is increasingly showing symptoms of ADHD. Its a Mad Hatters Tea Party of incessant onwards and upwards.

I no longer look forward to updates on basis of "cool maybe they've finally fixed/improved X"

I now go into them on basis that nothing broken or lacking in features will actually have been fleshed out or fixed in any substantive way; instead I'll just have umpteen new half-assed ideas to wrap my head around and get used to.

20. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I've said this before, and maybe I'm off base, but it seems to me that the OS is the backbone for your device, the apps run within the OS and "do" the things you need them to do (like edit photos, movies, etc.).

Where I think Apple (and MS) have gone off the rails is trying to include too many 'features' built into the OS. IMO, A lot of them are fluff and may not be used by people on a day-to-day basis. I think it's adding in all the 'extras' that is making the core system buggy.

Let's have a rock solid OS with a few 'necessary' features (multiple desktops, etc.) and have all the 'extras' in a separate package.

21. BasicGreatGuy, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I don't think the masses want a stripped down OS. They want new features that make the OS and the apps based upon even more exciting and useable.

In theory, your post makes sense. From a business / consumer standpoint, such a model would cause Apple to permanently decline in market share and consumer use.

I think the problem is the release schedule. I think the short release schedule is detrimental long term. The release with more and more bugs will drive many consumers away. Lengthen the schedule to two years.

22. 3pp macrumors member

Damned if you do, damned if you don't is the case here.

If Apple release iOS 9 with loads of new features, people would complain it is buggy/bloated/gimmicks etc.

If Apple release iOS 9 as a rock solid 'iOS 8' with all the bugs/glitches etc. patched up and a solid, power efficient core people would complain Apple has 'lost it's way' and is no longer innovative. Cue the 14 year olds: 'iOS 9 doesn't even do anything different omg'

23. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

For me it's just the pace at which Apple are releasing new products. We now have two different iPad screen resolutions across four different models.
    For iPhone, we have three different screen resolutions across four different models. Mac is seeing the transition to a new OS version while also stepping up integration with iOS and the suite of supporting software is also evolving.
    This is all before you start including support for legacy products e.g. iPhone 4, 4s & 5 - three more models and yet another screen resolution.

Compared to a few years ago, the amount of products and software that needs to be supported has increased massively and the now yearly update cycle just adds to that pressure. Of course, Apple will have increased it's development and support resources but that brings new challenges in making sure all involved are up to speed and that also brings the possibility of a higher degree of turnover.

People used to say that one of the issues with Android was fragmentation, Apple still control both the hardware and software together but currently having to support and develop for 6 iPhone models and 4 screen resolutions as an example is introducing a form of fragmentation that dilutes efforts.

24. urkel, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

urkel macrumors 68030

Are you talking about the article or the current state of Apple. because your comment applies to both.

Seriously though. I still prefer Apple products as much as I ever did but the "experience" is no longer unique or special. In the past I understood why people felt Apple was a "lifestyle". Their accomplishments were aspiring and admirable. But nowadays rhen if you're patterning your personal achievements after Apple then it would mean you make false promises, come late to parties, oversell your talents and hide your physical flaws underneath designer suits.

(Note: I'm writing this now on the 5.5" iPhone I've spent years been begging for... But while lying down because the rotation bug has it stuck in landscape mode again)

25. Razeus macrumors 603

All I know is that iOS 8, so far, is a mess and borderline disaster.