This fanboy being tempted by the dark side

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmwhd, Feb 23, 2012.

1. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

First let me state I'm a die hard iPhone and Apple fan. I've had every gen iPhone and I'm (almost) certain to get the next. But...

I have to admit, I'm more and more interested in things like the LG Optimus 4X HD as I become more and more content hungry as a user.

Netflix and Hulu are my closest companions these days and more RAM, more speed, and more screen really appeal.

Here's hoping iPhone 5 responds soon and in a BIG way :D

2. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

ugh, I hear nothing but complaints about living with lg (running any optimus skin). The UI and fluidity just isnt there. A great spec sheet looks nice, but unless you just want the display or are into modifying phones with rooting etc, I would not recommend it. (I read somewhere from an att rep that lgs had the highest return rate, which doesn't mean much, but could confirm some frustrations)

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Get whatever phone you want. I had a Droid X, loved it and hated it. I have an iPhone, love it and hate it. I doubt you're going to find Apple comes out with an iPhone that responds to everyone's every specification or need so get whatever you want to get now or when your time is right.

It's not the "dark side" it's another side. Don't be so dramatic.

4. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

If you are a die-hard fanboy, then you probably won't be happy switching.

I'm not a fan of Apple enlarging the iPhone. The size is perfect for me as it is. I wouldn't be upset if they went slightly larger, but not huge like some of the other phones out there.

I think it's partly psychological. You feel like you're getting more if the phone is larger.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I agree with jessica. Get what works best for you, whether it's the iPhone or something else. It's best to leave out all the drama like 'fanboy' and 'dark side' comments, because all it's going to do is flame another "this is better than that" war of words around here.

6. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

if you go android, do yourself a favor and get a Nexus, the upgrade support is un matched.

7. cynics macrumors G3

So many good Android phones and you are tempted by an LG? :)

8. motoleo, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  9. bmwhd thread starter macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

I think the point is, I'd like to see Apple move the iPhone closer to some of the Samsung/LG/HTC phones in form factor and performance. Not all the way there mind, just closer.

I love iOS and the whole Apple quality/design. I'm just beginning to appreciate that a bit more screen and speed/memory capacity could be a really good thing.

----------

I'm tempted by a couple of girls at work too but I'm not straying :) Doesn't mean I can't appreciate their qualities :D

I've just been somewhat surprised at how much video watching and book reading I do now on my iPhone. It's with me 7x24 unlike my iPad. I could stand it to be slightly larger and a whole heck of a lot faster.

10. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Bigger and faster. Your crazy, the iphone is perfect, they should never change anything on it, the huge bezel is great! and the screen is the perfect size, if anything its to big.

Faster, its apple specs dont matter, specs just ruin a phone. The iphone should just stay as it is now and never change there is no need for anything more ever. (period!)

Dont ever change a thing :cool:

I am emailing Tim and telling him to take you off of his Christmas list:apple:

11. motoleo, Feb 23, 2012
  12. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

You have been miss led, and the deception has clouded your eyes. If you look deep within yourself, you will see that you are already on the dark side.

Come into the light my friend.

13. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

apple's been pissing me off a bit lately. My next phone will be android just because of it lol.
    hey i will help downrate my own post

14. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Buy what ever you want. Need a bigger screen, more performance carry arround an ipad. Not one android device out there with as much performance or content.

Keep in mind Nexus Devices are the only android phones that get updates from google. May not sound like a big deal but my girlfriends Galaxy S just got updated to Froyo this week.

15. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Well hey, everybody wants change and if Apple would give you more of it than they have, then many would probably stick with them but then again, it still LOOKS the same so i dont know.
    I went for change just because i didnt want to be stuck on edge anymore and it just so happened, after a week or so i come to realize how much more i could do and that was just a nice surprise for me and i liked it more than what the iPhone was giving me.
    Is iOS more stable or perhaps have less problems? Sure...it did, but now Android has a lot of that worked out which makes it even better.

If Apple was able to keep up, there wouldnt be debates in here but they dont keep up. Use what you like, it shouldnt matter which one it is if it suits you the best.

16. motoleo, Feb 23, 2012
  17. Vegastouch, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

18. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

A true "fan boy" would never even ask this question or even think it. You are a "pink hat" through and through. Your Apple products should be taken from you in disgrace.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It is nice to have choices. Get what works best for you.

20. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

LG has fallen back in terms of Android Devices.

For high quality and superior performance, get sure fire good Android devices like Nexus Prime or Samsung Galaxy S2 although waiting for the 3rd iteration is recommended.

I'm a Windows fanboy but the shape and structure of Macbook Air is very pleasant even if MacOS is garbage.
    Fanboys doesn't necessarily stick to all aspects, just the majority of the MAIN aspects

Macbook Air with built in Windows 7 = Magic

21. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

The thing is, for everyone like you who wants a bigger screen, there's someone like me who wants the same size or a smaller screen.

Phones need to be small. End of story.

That's what my iPad is for.

22. labman macrumors 604

labman

it's a damn phone get what makes you happiest!

23. motoleo, Feb 23, 2012
  24. cotak, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

cotak macrumors regular

I am not so sure you are un-bias because you say things like the above.

Rather you seem myopic to the advantages of Android. Every negative you say is actually a positive if you look outside the US market.

People in Asia the big untapped market switch phones at double to triple the rate people in North America do. I am talking a new phone every 6 months. They get bored and switch or the newest one comes out with 1 more core, a slimmer built. Again they switch. All made possible because there's a ready market for your month old phone due to no carrier locking.

Building a new phone every half a year or quicker is a good way to ensure you stay relavent in Asia. It's what Samsung's been doing since the days of the first Moto razr.

Apps you and I talk about are all in English. Yes they'll appear in iOS first but here's an interesting thing if you can read any of the Asian languages. They do things differently online. Western websites have long departed the days of excessive ads, and highly dense pages of text. Now a days western pages has that ikea look to it. While chinese pages tends to be like this (http://www.sina.com.cn/) an explosion of text in your face. Just look at the menu items at the top.

I want to point this out just to draw attention to the fact that while Apple does a very good job of catering to us in the western world. They might not be so good when it comes to Asia. Yes the rich in asia will buy iphones for now because it's the in thing. However, apple's control of apps means it's model doesn't 100% fit the way things are done over there. Where as with Android you can use other app sources other than android market place. Plus market place is much more open. So in that way I think when the app explosion hits places like China it might end up working better with Android than iOS.

In fact the apps situation in developing countries is likely to go the other way towards release first for Android. All because till now Apple's strategy for catering to low end market is to sell them their old goods. Where as Android will have a NEW low cost version every few months from Samsung, LG Huiwai etc.

My trip to China in summer of 2011 showed me that while there are some iphones the vast majority of people are packing older cell phones still. People are making more money but 700 for the "middle class" in China is still often half their monthly salary. Cost is a huge issue.

So no I don't think you are un-bias. Nor are your view about iphone leading the pack no matter what android does going to really pan out in the long run.

Personally, I think apple's trajectory has been flattening in terms of innovation that actually is useful. And I am waiting to see if it's going to become a down turn and I wonder if we are seeing Apple at it's peak in the mobile world.

25. motoleo, Feb 23, 2012