This forum is pretty factious and it doesn't need to be.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by inviktus, Jul 14, 2010.

1. inviktus macrumors newbie

Yes, I know: my join date is only last month. But I've been lurking here awhile. And this isn't my first internet forum -- I've seen this dance before.

----------------

Look, this isn't complicated. There's a lot of frustration on this forum. People with trouble-free phones are frustrated because every time they come in here, they get hit with a blast wave of negative energy. It's a constant parade of complaint and, trolls aside, nobody enjoys that.

And the people with troubled phones are frustrated because all they want is a working phone. Most of them love Apple, most of them love the iPhone, most of them stood in line for hours on end to get this beautiful piece of machinery that just keeps letting them down.

But yet we all keep coming back here. Internet forums are unprecedentedly good at two things: sharing information and creating hysteria. We all keep coming back here because we need the former (group 1--how can I best enjoy this fantastic phone? group 2--how can I get this @*$%er to @*$%ing work!) But the latter has taken hold with an iron grip. I know some percentage of people just like to argue regardless of subject, but for most of us, hysteria is not fun. And at the root -- yes, of course, iPhones are important communications devices on which many build their livelihoods -- but at the root we're here because these things are fun!

So I suspect that many here would be happier if the fun were ratcheted up a bit. And it can be done, pretty easily, through some very simple actions. Group 1 folks: please don't go into the complaint threads posting about how "my phone works perfectly and you're all just a bunch of whiners". Instead acknowledge that there are people with legitimate problems, wish them the best in solving them, and be appreciative of the fact that you are one of the lucky ones. Group 2 folks: please don't carpet-bomb every single thread posting about how "your phone is a POS too and you're just too much of a sheep fanboy to see it". Instead congratulate the problem-free people on their good fortune and either a) continue to wait patiently for a solution, or 2) return the phone and move on with your life.

Right now this forum is exceptionally useful but also exceptionally unpleasant. With a little consideration and restraint, we can excise the last four words of that sentence.

That is all. :)

-vik

P.S.: group 2

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Welcome to Macrumors, inviktus. Well said. Another model for two groups of users around here might be "fanboys" and "haters". Either way you make an excellent point that higher temperature and frustration can get in the way of finding the information one is looking for. There are moderators and they do give time outs if things get too far out of hand.

Notice that there are 3,000 plus users active in just the iPhone forum as I type this. :eek: It's a daunting task for mods to say on top of flammable posts when they are coming in this quickly. There is a "report post" [​IMG] button in the lower left corner of each post if you think somebody went too far and the mods don't seem to have noticed yet. I think it's only there if you stay logged in.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Well said. But knowing message board dynamics well - I can only say "good luck." While your post is well intentioned and good advice to both "sides" - the people that REALLY need to read and understand your advice will most likely not. It won't apply to them. Or they won't "get it."

4. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

"Welcome to hell, kid..."

Also, OP, what side are you on <hint: see the link in my sig>? ;)

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Forums of X brand are always going to be a mess, because you will:

1. Find extreme fanboys
    2. Find all the people with trouble about X brand's product
    3. Find the casual trolls
    4. Find people who are know it alls

Mix these ingredients well and you get a nice cookie.... well forum. Just take it as is.

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

This forum as gone to fractious: easily irritated; bad-tempered : they fight and squabble like fractious children.

Lots of anger on both sides. Perhaps the release of the iPhone 5 will bring peace, happiness and light. :rolleyes: (After all it is Sarcastic Wednesday)

Cheers,

7. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Great post inviktus, I completely agree.

One of the biggest problems with these forums is labeling anyone who has something bad to say about Apple as a "hater," and, vice versa, anyone who has something good to say about Apple as "fanboy." A little more curtesy and a little less name calling can go a long way.

...I know, "welcome to the internet"...

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

There is a great picture for that phrase. However, due to its nature, I can't quite post it in this thread.

9. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Good comment. I also think people are panicking at the moment because apple have'nt said when the software fix will come (if that fixes it).

I don't have any problems with mine apart from being able to drop bars when holding the phone in a certain way. I can understand people's frustration when they have spent there hard earned money on a piece of tech from apple that does'nt come up to scratch with the primary function of the phone and other issues.

All this worry and negativity will not make your phone any better and its not worth the stress over it to the extent that i feel some people here have.

Honestly there are bigger problems in the world than a dysfunctional phone.

Chill out and im sure if the software problem does not fix it then apple will either recall it or you can get your money back.

10. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Nice post. I find this is definitely a 'keep your head down' forum ...

11. desol8tor macrumors newbie

As a product of the internet, 3 and 4 are found on every forum. Even those with as little a 50 people have trolls (does someone want to find a universal TTM, or troll to member ratio?) as well as those that think they are the guru of the forum who is the oracle, the alpha and omega, etc.

And I will venture to say that unless its a TRUE general forum that is purely a community of random users, you'll often be guaranteed 1 and 2 as well.

12. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

13. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Umm. *cough*
    :rolleyes: :p

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Nice to see someone else sees this.

15. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

For the most part I agree with you. Where I differ is the need to start this thread. I feel these threads, and we've had them before, just add fuel to the fire. If you don't like what you see then report the post. I don't think these threads help anyone.

16. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Uh-huh. ;)

17. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

18. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

19. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

People get off on disagreeing with what other people say on forums. No matter what they believe.

20. skinsone macrumors regular

Thanks for posting.

I have been a member here for years yet hesitate to post anything because of the fall out that others have experienced.

The info members have here is great and usually spot on. But I have to weed through so many posts, many with rather spicy language that doesn't need to be typed to make their point, to find my answers.

21. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Forum therapy... needed and appreciated by the comments so far. :)

Cheers,

22. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Eh, while I applaud the initial post, you eventually give up and decide to be as big a dick as everyone else or you leave. Fortunately, I have lots of experience designing and using antennas and could explain this problem to anyone who wanted to know how they actually worked or, in this case, don't work. It's been interesting watching who actually learned something and who remained willingly ignorant. Whatever, the laws of nature don't change. :)

23. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That's not true at all.

Fall out!! I'll give you some fall out!!!!!111!!1

;)

24. Savor Suspended

Savor

Amen.

Just earlier today, someone assumed I was some fanboy. Why? Because I have a working phone that I thoroughly enjoy right now? Are these people bitter and just want to pigeonhole happy iPhone 4 owners as fanboys?

I am hardly a fanboy for one company. For every product, I might have hated that company at some point. They all have made mistakes in their history. Like carriers and politicians, you can't trust any of them. Only driving force to them is revenue. I went through with it Apple. For about 2-3 years, I hated anything to do with Apple and thought Jobs was arrogant prick like the other million of haters towards this guy. Then I saw a good deal with an iPod touch on Craigslist two years ago, jailbroke it, and started to liking Apple again even with some of their glaring omissions and closed structure. The Dev Team opened up my eyes with the iOS.

I always have one foot out the door when it comes to Apple. I am fickle that way in an industry always evolving. Loyalty is hard to find in business. It isn't personal. But lovers and haters make it seem that way to them. Like life or death when it shouldn't be that way.

25. madforrit macrumors regular

Very well said. I frequent many internet forums daily related to electronics, woodworking, and my favorite sports teams. This forum, BY FAR, has the greatest degree of snarkyness, name-calling, and blatantly rude behavior that I've seen.

Which is sad - I've been here basically since MR got its start. It was not always this way.