This iPad release doesn't seem that exciting

Discussion in 'iPad' started by capriseyhaze, Mar 18, 2012.

1. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

In years past Apple iOS devices always had a special feeling on the release date. but this time it just doesn't seem like that. My friends and family members who are not really into tech didn't even know that the iPad 3rd gen was released. let alone the name, weather its the iPad 3, HD, or the new iPad. I've only seen the TV ad for the device one time, and I watch a lot of TV. just doesn't seem like a normal release, seems kind of weird. I guess without the long lines, scalpers, and media frenzy it just does not have the same kick as years pass. Being a part of the Apple family has an exclusive feeling a sense of being a part of something that only a few people get to enjoy. and that feeling grows ever stronger when a great product is released and we get to be people to get it, while the rest of the world just sits back and wishes they could be a part of it. this year I just didn't get that feeling. I love my iPad, but I just wish it felt more exclusive.

2. homeboy macrumors 6502

3. henders98 macrumors member

I bought my iPad because I will enjoy using it -- not because I feel special or "exclusive.". Seriously, get a life.

4. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

Tim Cook seems to be more about making sure that distribution and supply is well managed versus Jobs. I think this sometimes factors into product design decisions (i.e. make the iPhone 4S look the same as the 4, etc). Everyone knew that the iPad 3 was going to have a retina display, better camera, for example, because Cook probably had suppliers making them for months. So news gets leaked, initial expectations get met (not exceeded), lines are short, etc. But at the end of the day, more products get sold (iPhone 4S, which was basically ridiculed at launch, is Apple's biggest product ever).

5. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

ipad 2 was the encore.

ipad 3, tribute band

It will be software that drives interest and exploitation of the hardware.

ipad 2 prices are a very attractive as are the refurbs

6. Haziza macrumors member

Haziza

7. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

It's because they created enough supply this time around. You'd feel much cooler if not every kid on the block had one.

8. TheBronx macrumors regular

Multi millions own Apple products. Why did you feel part of an exclusive group?

9. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

LOL. Perfect example of "snob" behaviour. If you want to be in an "exclusive" club, go buy a Bentley.

The reason the "frenzy" doesn't exist is that, since the 4S, Apple allows you to preorder prior to launch. 4S had record breaking sales compared to past iPhones but nowhere near the frenzy was generated at its launch because of this preorder system and ample supply to meet demand.

10. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Yep. If you want to be exclusive you are going to have to spend more than $500

Lol

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I honestly thought the buildup over the last few weeks was tantalizing. Although I hesitated before launch to pre-order I did walk into Apple (in Carlsbad) yesterday and within ten minutes had the exact iPad I was seeking.

No long lines. No hassle.
    I think it was wise of Apple to market this iPad that way.

Let the mechanics of the device speak instead of the hype and hustle.

12. eric/ Guest

eric/

I get what you're saying. It didn't get as much media coverage and it didn't seem that exciting. Not that it really makes a difference, but I agree.

13. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

Owning Apple devices in 2012 is not really that exclusive anymore.

If you want exclusive, get a Vertu phone. Just don't come here to complain about it.

14. erawsd macrumors 6502

I remember similar posts when the iPhone 4s was released. Lots of reports about the lines being shorter and how the launch just didn't have that same special feeling. It was trashed in reviews and considered the worst upgrade yet.

Likewise, all the same things were said about the iPad2.

15. diabolic macrumors 68000

Apple wants to have stock available when someone wants to buy, rather than having long lines and selling out.

They'll sell more new iPads in the first month than they did last year in the first month with the iPad 2.

16. G77 macrumors regular

I am amazed how many non-tech people i know, not only know about new iPad, but more importantly plan to buy one. Most important news with this release is iPad is going mainstream - with i think north of 70 milion sales in 2012.

17. TheBronx macrumors regular

Don't get me wrong, i agree with this. The ipad is going to be the most successful ipad ever. Apple knows how to make products people buy. Every time apple introduces a new product, a few people say how bad it is, and apple goes ahead and laughs in their face. I just don't think owning an apple product makes you part of an exclusive group, and I'm sure apple is happy to have it that way.

18. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Maybe it's just exciting for first time buyers.

19. G77 macrumors regular

20. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

You need to photograph yourself with your iPad in exotic places, and post them to Facebook. Problem solved.

21. Yggbert macrumors regular

Scumbag OP: Wants to feel exclusive, buys product from the most profitable company in the world.

22. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

People thought the same with the iPhone 4s release, but then Apple reported its sales numbers and they were through the roof.

We will see the same here. Apple just made more this time.

The retina display is incredible. That alone makes this iPad VERY different from its predecessor. Most people who lay eyes on one is going to want it.

23. magbarn macrumors 68000

QFT, since there's more than enough stock to go around much more are going to be sold. Last years iPad 2 launch had many people forced to wait until stock become more plentiful or pay 50% more to the scalpers. It's also boring to the evening news people when there isn't 400 people encircling an Apple store.

24. capriseyhaze thread starter macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

To sum up my replies to everyone, first ive been buying apple products since the powerbook days back when owning a mac was very exclusive. So when i say exclusive im referring to apple overall. Sure nowadays ios products are everywhere but apple owners as a whole is still an exclusive group. and when i say exclusive i mean the fact that not everybody has it or knows about what it has to offer. Second im not talking about stock. i dont care about that. what im saying is that there is no hype. hype drives the consumer market. Air jordan releases hyped, gaming counsel releases hyped, ios products hyped. Only a certain kind of product can generate hype and apple usually does a great job in exploiting that hype but this year i just didnt feel it. im not saying anything about sales, im not saying anything about stock, im just speaking about the hype and the event that is an apple release.

25. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

This. There is a reason AAPL is hitting $600. Everyone has something with the logo on it nowadays. That's a sign of a good business model. Nothing wrong with that.

Exclusivity means small volume. That's not how you build a successful business.