This is a weird request, Dell Inspiron vs Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sane, May 23, 2009.

1. sane macrumors newbie

So I'm in a debate with my Dad about why a Mac is better than a PC/Vista.
    I'm finding it hard to come up with reasons, but I know in my head that the aesthetics of a Mac blow Windows away.
    I figured I would go on a Mac forum and a Windows forum to get a few reasons why one is better than the other and compare them in a side by side document.

So basically, why is Mac better than PC/Vista?

Thanks in advance :)
    So sorry if I posted this in the wrong section!

Edit: Right now I have a Dell Inspiron running on Vista

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The mac won't need to have the operating system reloaded whenever you get a virus or trojan (although if you use it on a campus network, you'll most likely get free anti-virus which will render this point moot)

the Dell is most likely better in all other aspects.

3. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I had a Dell Inspiron E1505, and it was a heavy P.O.S. I ended up getting a Macbook Air, which was a smart move. Dell is not the Dell of 5 years ago, the quality isn't that superb on the Inspiron model.

Oh, the battery decline very rapidly as well. I was down to one hour of life by the end of the first semester (I got the laptop in July). By the end of the school year, my Inspiron was merely a desktop since the charge only lasted 20-30 minutes. Batteries cost 100-150 to replace, think how much you'll have to spend every semester. What if you have a block of 2-4 straight hours of classes? You won't always be able to charge your laptop, and the battery will die if you have an Inspiron.

Also, Vista ran 10x better on my Air than it did on the Inspiron (granted I had a SSD, but still)

In the long run, the Macbook is the better investment.

4. somewhatvaguely macrumors member

somewhatvaguely

Try googling "why mac is better than pc" or "why mac is better than vista". This is one result that came up:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196800670

Also, I suggest you pull up the mac pages on the apple website and something for the pc, and compare the two.

EDIT: Ah, yes, also if you're going to get a laptop, macs have so much more battery life. They are also really energy-efficient, and all that. :)

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the Dell doesn't have OS X, and the build quality isn't always the best with the Inspirons. while the hardware might be similar or even better specs, that doesn't equal a better machine.

OS X is the reason to buy a Mac imo.

6. sane thread starter macrumors newbie

I've looked at a few pages, but they all pretty much say what I've already read on the specifics on the apple website.
    I'm definitely getting a macbook (if I ever get one), not a desktop.

@Unprocessed1: I can believe that. When I kick the plug out of my Dell, on accident, it immediately dies. I have yet to replace it for the fact that another battery will die in 3 months anyway.

7. somewhatvaguely macrumors member

somewhatvaguely

Wow, I think my macbook will last as long as I wish it to(so far, it's been around 18 months).

Also, the thing I LOVE about macs and apple products is that there are all these small little features that are SO great. Like the power cord is magnetic. Not only does it not harm your macbook from tripping over it(it's happened once or twice for me), it's also a snap(literally - pardon the pun!) to take in and out.

8. sane thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's a plus!
    I didn't know that about the power hub, that's pretty nifty!

9. somewhatvaguely macrumors member

somewhatvaguely

Yeah, like I said, so many things are just.... easier. It's so nice. :D All these shortcuts and everything... It's just really efficient and all.

Good luck persuading your dad!

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Dell battery's come with a 1 year warranty. Nearly all dells get 3+ on their batteries, unless you have the incorrect power management configured.

What dell computer you looking at?
    The Vostro is a tank, large frame, and inexpensive (relatively speaking)
    The 13 and 14 inch inspirons are a decent machine, with a mediocre 128M video card.
    I have the XPS 1530 which is very nice. Little more spendy the the inspiron.
    The mac air is nice and portable as is the 13 inch inspiron for roughly 40% of the air.
    The XPS is built better than the inspirons as they should be for the extra one pays. Latitudes tend to be built to support business customers, cost a little ore but to me worth it.
    Hardware wise as you move up and through the dell models the hardware does improve.
    Vista, well I feel its a HOG in every aspect. Recently loaded Windows 7 and I like it far more than vista.

Its Dell's seasonal time where they start announcing/introducing their new lines for the August/September time frames.

Every dell laptop I have purchased I buy with complete care. Everything but the battery is covered. And I have used it on countless occassions to tomy negligence or clumsiness. I am rough on laptops so its well worth the cost and in home service. Dell's support has greatly improved as well.
    Cost wise the mac will most likely be more. Aesthetically, the new models are starting to be show on the dell site, CNET and so on. Dell, sony and HP will be focusing on looks as laptops are as fashionable as a new pair of sneakers/shoes. They even make that comment in 2 of the PC commercials how much nicer Macs look
    Dell's new latitude mini is a sneak peak of whats to come.

If you do decide to go with dell take a look at www.gotapex.com , they list Dell Deals nearly every day. I have no affliation with gotapex other than I have used their site to learn about the deals.

Gie both mac and dells a good look over. I know many hear will tell you how crappy dells are. Having used most of Dells laptop lines ove the past year, I am not going to kid you saying the $400 dell is built as well as the $2000 dell or the mac book pro.

Good luck

11. sane thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the options are either I keep the Dell Inspiron I have, I forgot to mention I have a Dell Inspiron now, try to convince my Dad to get me a Mac.

12. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Very few laptops match the battery life the manufacturer claims. The Inspiron I had should have lasted 3 hours from a new battery, but only started at 2.5 and rapidly declined. Having your battery die every 3-4 months isn't very convenient.

I agree that the XPS is a completely different story, it's a very good choice.

13. JRob65a6 macrumors regular

JRob65a6

Mac OS X has much more stability and it uses less energy to do the same amount of work as a PC. It is much easier to understand. But for that matter you need to ask him for an example because you could get all of the same options in either PC or MAC.

It's a lot harder to get a virus/trojan on a mac. If a pc just sees one you're finished.

Great customer support!

Time Machine which backs up your data constantly without you having to tell it to everytime. It's like having a clone drive. It recovers every single thing you had set up before your accident or whatever. Hard drives fail, it's a known fact. At least you don't have to worry about losing everything.

It wasn't easy for me to find a laptop with 1066 FSB and 6mb L2 cache.

I bought a HP HDX 18t before i bought my MBP. I my first one and it crashed in 2 days. I got my second and it crashed within the first 2 weeks. I took it back and went to Apple. Bought a MBP and couldn't be happier. Had to have a faulty fan replaced but I never even knew it was bad until it told me on istat. They repaired it in like 30 min. If I had a PC they would have sent it back to the manufacturer and if they even admitted there was something wrong it would have been six weeks or so before I saw my computer again.

I like being able to go talk to someone in person rather than on the phone. At least then you can get your point across.

You can run windows on a Mac but can you run Mac on a PC. Anything is possible but, I mean that you don't have to hack.

Awesome looking notebooks and towers.

They offer an 8 hr battery in the MBP. Find that in a pc notebook.

Has he ever spent any time on a Mac?

14. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

What model inspiron?

15. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Just went to Dell's website and played around a bit, and pimped out a 13.3 inch XPS. It came to only $1600, even though it had a SSD, WLED hi-def screen, 2.6 Ghz and other goodies.

I wouldn't rule out a XPS, but I would have a problem getting another Inspiron over a Macbook.

@ JRob, the 8 hour battery life is only in the 17 in MBP, which would be way out of the OP's budget.

16. JRob65a6 macrumors regular

JRob65a6

Oh and before I forget the resell value is great.

17. JRob65a6 macrumors regular

JRob65a6

Okay then 5 hr battery. Which PC can last that long? Can the XPS? I honestly don't know that's why I'm asking.

18. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

gotapex.com always has great discount codes on teh XPS13s

19. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I don't think so, I get a little over 4 hours with my XPS1530 with the power control set to max battery. that is with the 9 cell battery

20. sane thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the Inspiron E1505, really old. But I'm not getting a new Dell.
    It's either keep this, wait to get a mac or convince my dad to buy me one soon.

21. JRob65a6 macrumors regular

JRob65a6

bruinsrme said
    The Apple genius tells me Macs are reliable and rarely break. Then asks if I've looked at the wide selection in the on-line refurb store

Lol Refurbished doesn't mean anything was ever wrong with it. Anyone could have brought it back for any reason. That goes for any computer though.

22. JRob65a6 macrumors regular

JRob65a6

Have you had the opportunity to play with one? I was a PC guy until almost 6 months ago. I never touched a Mac until 6 Months ago. Everybody is different but I must say I'm glad I switched. But like I said everybody is different. What exactly are you going to use it for?

23. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I know that. It could be a box with a broken seal.
    Of course there was more to that conversation. I think that particular genius was a newborn into the ranks as he also shared with me that Macs are better because they are designed domestically.

24. sane thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried it and fell in love D:
    I'd mostly be using it just for the basic internet browsing, photoshop/webdesign, and I'd like to get into Video editting.
    I guess I can sacrifice my frequent gaming, since I have gaming systems.
    I'm a bit concerned about some of the programs that I use not working on mac, cause I know they don't. But I guess thats what Parallels is for.

25. JRob65a6 macrumors regular

JRob65a6

Parallels is great. I used some programs on my Mac through parallels and they ran fine. I bought 90% of the programs for Mac to replace them. I can't complain. It worked great.

I heard gaming is ok but the 9400M can't handle the bigger gaming but the 9600t does pretty good.

I dont game on it so I'm not sure. I would but I dont have the mac games and never got to installing them for xp on here