Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
I don't do any intense gaming. Usually 2D RPG games like maplestory and the occasional tetris or hexic game.
Everything I find to be a problem with Mac (like non-compatible applications) is some how resolved with an answer (like parallels)
In other words, there's nothing wrong with a mac.
Sounds like you treat it how you would want to be treated.

mrbrightside623

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
I was in your situation about a year ago. I had a Toshiba laptop that had a battery die out on me so I got a High Capacity battery for it. I had extra money and convinced my dad into letting me get a mac. First, I told him I wanted a Macbook(White since aluminum ones weren't out yet) but at the store I made a last minute change and told him I wanted the Macbook Pro. Surprisingly he let me. As like you, I wanted to try to learn video editing and stuff like photoshop and so forth. What I told him was a Mac can run Windows IF needed. I told him that the Mac was lighter and thinner than a Windows PC (my Toshiba was like 8lbs cuz of the High Capacity batter). I told him it was aluminum(for the Macbook Pro) and that it would probably dissipate heat better ( I found out it was HOTTER than my Toshiba but its ok with me). Recently found out about smcFanControl to help keep it cool. I told him that the Macbook Pro had a good graphic card and better screen(LED Screen) and that the magsafe charger was good because it won't rip my charger port if I tripped on the wire (because I have). I also told him that it was going to be used for school and that I don't plan on changing to a new laptop for a good long while since I baby my MBP ^_^. Hope This Helps?

JRob65a6

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
I don't do any intense gaming. Usually 2D RPG games like maplestory and the occasional tetris or hexic game.
Everything I find to be a problem with Mac (like non-compatible applications) is some how resolved with an answer (like parallels)
In other words, there's nothing wrong with a mac.
Sounds like you treat it how you would want to be treated.

I take care of it but I don't baby it. Yes

JRob65a6

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
I was in your situation about a year ago. I had a Toshiba laptop that had a battery die out on me so I got a High Capacity battery for it. I had extra money and convinced my dad into letting me get a mac. First, I told him I wanted a Macbook(White since aluminum ones weren't out yet) but at the store I made a last minute change and told him I wanted the Macbook Pro. Surprisingly he let me. As like you, I wanted to try to learn video editing and stuff like photoshop and so forth. What I told him was a Mac can run Windows IF needed. I told him that the Mac was lighter and thinner than a Windows PC (my Toshiba was like 8lbs cuz of the High Capacity batter). I told him it was aluminum(for the Macbook Pro) and that it would probably dissipate heat better ( I found out it was HOTTER than my Toshiba but its ok with me). Recently found out about smcFanControl to help keep it cool. I told him that the Macbook Pro had a good graphic card and better screen(LED Screen) and that the magsafe charger was good because it won't rip my charger port if I tripped on the wire (because I have). I also told him that it was going to be used for school and that I don't plan on changing to a new laptop for a good long while since I baby my MBP ^_^. Hope This Helps?

smcFanControl is one of the best things I've came across. You can control your fan speed any time you want and monitor all of your temps.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
tell him that there is an example. I just bought a gateway fx laptop, better graphics than any mac and nice 19x12 screen 17 inch and i have had to reload it, its gotten bsod about 5 times now all because i have a bunch of stuff on it. i have a white macbook with vista and a bunch of other stuff o it that should make it slow and its very fast still. tell him your paying extra to have quality and a hassle free os. btw my mac runs windows better than my pc..........:mad:

JRob65a6

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
I've always told my wife two things when it comes to computers.

1) You get what you pay for, if you find something that looks the same and the specs are the same but its 500 or more price difference then its probably not the same. With Apple you are paying for quality. Some people have got computers for less money with the same specs and think, hey I got a great deal but then they don't get the opportunity to use the other and be able to see the difference. I've bought quite a few laptops and rarely have I found a laptop that was cheaper and better than another. It does happen but not very often. I am a firm believer that you always get what you pay for.

2) If you do it, do it right the first time and you won't have to worry about it later. I personally stayed away from certain brands of computers. I don't recommend to anyone to stay away from any brand of computer but I do recommend computers to the specific needs of a person. Most of the time now it is a Mac. 99% of my customers are switching to Mac. They typically buy PC desktops at least every other year. They are tired of paying $1500 and then have to call me because there is a problem. Most of the calls are for it running slow and they don't know why (hmmmm install a lot of programs that run in the background. That might do it). On a mac you can see what's running easily. That and "Are you sure you want to do this?". They call saying is this okay because it keeps asking me and I don't want to mess anything up.

She now understands what I mean because she has had the chance to see it now. She doesn't ask "Why can't you get that one? Its a lot cheaper and it still has everything you want." I hated that comment...

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
OS X is the reason to buy a Mac imo.

Yes. And depending on your individual needs, it is also the number one reason NOT to buy a Mac but go with a PC instead -- there is so much stuff out there that only runs on Windows that it is not even funny anymore, especially when it is work/business-related.

Besides that, nothing and nobody beats Dell when it comes to business support.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
So basically, why is Mac better than PC/Vista?

Simple answer: It isn't. It's just different.

In some cases the Mac has advantages, in others it has disadvantages. And in many cases, the disadvantages might outweigh the advantages. Compatibility for once. For example, in my opinion it does not make much sense to buy a Mac if you already know that are going to spend a lot of time running Windows on it, either in Boot Camp or virtualization.

If you have to launch Windows because otherwise you cannot do what you want or need to do, then you already know that there is absolutely no rationale behind your decision to buy a Mac. You just wanted to date a model instead of being happy with the loyal woman that you already have.

Design is nice, but ultimately it's not the factor that gets the job done. It's also not the thing that makes you happy in a long term relationship.

Make a checklist of the things that you really, really NEED and then compare whether there is software for this on the Mac and if so, what it will cost you. Then, when you are going to compare it with Dell, for example, add the price for Apple Care to your calculation as well -- a Dell has that already included, Apple charges you a couple of hundred bucks extra for a worse service (no home pickup, no service technician coming to your house, no next business day service).

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
Agree with the poster above me 100%. Which operating system is best suited for you depends on your needs, anybody who tries to convert you to one or the other OS without knowing what you need your computer for, and how you prefer to work is a ****, pure and simple.

JRob65a6

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
Agree with the poster above me 100%. Which operating system is best suited for you depends on your needs, anybody who tries to convert you to one or the other OS without knowing what you need your computer for, and how you prefer to work is a ****, pure and simple.

He is absolutely right. Specific needs for specific person. My customers mostly do their stuff online. So no need to make sure the software is compatible.

JRob65a6

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
It's a proven fact. Macs use less energy. That is why the batteries don't go down nearly as fast. Mac OS X is highly efficient when it comes to their operating system. If you put XP on a mac your battery life will improve but Macs operating systems last a lot longer. That tells me they are more efficient and they consume the power smarter. I'm not saying to go with a PC or a Mac, I'm just stating facts.

He already said he's not going with the Dell. I'm just helping the negotiations between him and his father.

JRob65a6

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
Nutritious, how often does your macs operating system crash? Honestly???
Or do you have a Mac?

JRob65a6

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Just wow...

OP, go to your local best buy or something and play with the macbook. See if you like it...

He's already stated he has used one (a mac) and he loves it. Lets help him to know what to tell his father. What is he supposed to tell his father as a good reason to get a Mac. Some people (like me a year ago) won't buy an Apple because they need a good reason to. I knew nothing about them. If I asked my father for a computer he would want a good reason for spending the money. But my father honestly don't even know how to turn on a computer. He would need to understand what I wanted and why I wanted it. My father is tight on money so they would need good reasons.

I'm sure he needs good reasons also.

nutritious

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
Nutritious, how often does your macs operating system crash? Honestly???
Or do you have a Mac?

Let's see...when I had my 2007 iMac, it would crash every time after waking up from sleep with the Black Screen of Death (similar to the Blue screen of windows).

My apple cinema display's USB hub would crash my iMac whenever I connected it to my iMac.

My macbook with the 9400m had flicker issues after extended use, which would force me to restart my laptop...

All in all, all my macs have been on par as Vista and Windows 7 when it comes to stability...with windows 7 being the most stable...

Second of all...it's nice to know MAC OSX doesn't consume so much energy (LMAO). Who woulda thought software consumed up all the energy!!!!1111

Get real dude...if you wanna blame XP lowering your battery life... blame apple for their bootcamp drivers...

my friend has a samsung nc10 and he gets like 8 hours of battery life with vista...

sane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
He's already stated he has used one (a mac) and he loves it. Lets help him to know what to tell his father. What is he supposed to tell his father as a good reason to get a Mac. Some people (like me a year ago) won't buy an Apple because they need a good reason to. I knew nothing about them. If I asked my father for a computer he would want a good reason for spending the money. But my father honestly don't even know how to turn on a computer. He would need to understand what I wanted and why I wanted it. My father is tight on money so they would need good reasons.

I'm sure he needs good reasons also.

Exactly.
I need a good reason why it's better.
I want a mac cause it's so different than windows, I need something new and innovative to play around with. Since I know everything there is to know about windows and dell.

JRob65a6

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
Let's see...when I had my 2007 iMac, it would crash every time after waking up from sleep with the Black Screen of Death (similar to the Blue screen of windows).

My apple cinema display's USB hub would crash my iMac whenever I connected it to my iMac.

My macbook with the 9400m had flicker issues after extended use, which would force me to restart my laptop...

All in all, all my macs have been on par as Vista and Windows 7 when it comes to stability...with windows 7 being the most stable...

Second of all...it's nice to know MAC OSX doesn't consume so much energy (LMAO). Who woulda thought software consumed up all the energy!!!!1111

Get real dude...if you wanna blame XP lowering your battery life... blame apple for their bootcamp drivers...

my friend has a samsung nc10 and he gets like 8 hours of battery life with vista...

LMAO You must be the unluckiest guy I've ever heard of. Are you able to leave your house without anything happening to you? I blame mostly the crazy amount of processes vista uses to do one thing that's all. And the classic UAC. LOL I know I know it can be shut off but come on. I'm sorry about your luck with your Apple stuff. I hope you have better luck with PC or Mac whichever you buy next. I've never had anyone tell me they had that much wrong. Not even with PCs let alone a Mac.

I've never had issues with bootcamp or parallels. I must just be lucky I guess.

NC10 yah with the screen almost, off if not off, at idle with nothing running, maybe but I doubt it. Oh wait that has a 10 inch screen don't it. I'm not even going to go there. LMAO

Anyways this isn't about your friends NC10.

It's about reasons for him to tell his father to help him get the laptop he wants. Can you at least help with that?

JRob65a6

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
Exactly.
I need a good reason why it's better.
I want a mac cause it's so different than windows, I need something new and innovative to play around with. Since I know everything there is to know about windows and dell.

Does your father use computers or is he going to play with it at all?

sane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Does your father use computers or is he going to play with it at all?

If I get one he'll probably just take mine. I might even sell mine to get some cash for a mac. He won't be using my mac though, maybe in the beginning but not after that

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
I'm a mac user since a year ago. After about 15 year of win,starting with win 3.1 on a 486 sx, with 2 Mb ram. Last 7 years spent on Dell PC's with win Xp and later Vista. I moved to mac after one year of my last Dell, an XPS M1210, that had (has, actually, still used from home) 4 Gb ram. But Vista made the trick, I was so sick of its slowness, continuous upgrades and updates, tired to being asked each day to install a system update, and after say "Install" being told that The system could not install it because of some weird incompatibility. Also, with all that RAM, the system wasn't faster than my previous Latitude 600 with Centrino 1.6 and 512 Mb ram.
Also, about the XPS: I spent for it about 2600 USD in Feb 2007. I mean, it was as expensive as the top-line MBP 15" is. SO, please, don't believe to those ads saying "PC are cheaper". I'd say there are cheaper PC's than mac. for sure. But if you want sturdy PC laptops that will work fine for a couple of years, at least, be prepared to spend as much as a mac. My wife's laptpor, for instance, is an HP 14", with 2 Gb of RAM, that she bought for 1,50 USD in autumn 2007. it costed 1,200 USD less than mine, but she keeps complaining about the slowness, short battery life (I don't think it will keep one hour on one charge), the ram cannot be upgraded...and it has Vista!
So, I think that mac OSX is far superior to Vista (I don't know Win 7, but I'll never know because I'm not going back) that it justifies a mac alone. Form factor of macs is really nice as well as usability compared to win PC's, in terms of stability, connection, durability. About restarting, I have an imac, and is on 24 hrs per day, 7 days per week. I only restart it when system upgrade require that. Maybe two times per month?
Oh, and I never had any freeze of the whole system, requiring a reset.
But, maybe, I'm just a lucky guy...

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Reading this thread again the OPis asking for help in convincing his dad to buy a mac.

The OP has "tried" a mac and absolutely fell in love with it. OK what did you fall in love with? Has the OP done any research regarding the differences in the OS'es.

If my son came to me and said I want/need a mac then I would simply say why a mac? If he wasn't able to provide me the info it shows me its more of a want than a need and he hasn't done any research on the matter. I guess its like going to the boss and saying I need to purchase this tool for $8000 because I went to the show room and it that drill press was so smooth and good looking. How far would that get someone?

I so want a 50+ inch TV but my needs are being met with a 42 inch plasma

sane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Reading this thread again the OPis asking for help in convincing his dad to buy a mac.

The OP has "tried" a mac and absolutely fell in love with it. OK what did you fall in love with? Has the OP done any research regarding the differences in the OS'es.

If my son came to me and said I want/need a mac then I would simply say why a mac? If he wasn't able to provide me the info it shows me its more of a want than a need and he hasn't done any research on the matter. I guess its like going to the boss and saying I need to purchase this tool for $8000 because I went to the show room and it that drill press was so smooth and good looking. How far would that get someone?

I so want a 50+ inch TV but my needs are being met with a 42 inch plasma

I fell in love with it's simplicity and the applications that were so innovative and helpful. The fact that browsing the Internet was a breeze and just the beauty of everything.

JRob65a6

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
It's just easier for some people to use a Mac. I like having the single click on the programs icons on the bar at the bottom of the screen and the fact they are always visible unless you choose otherwise. I like imovie, iphoto, and iweb.
All are easy to use but I think I like iweb the most. I use dreamweaver but my wife likes building sites and it keeps her out of my hair about building it for her in dreamweaver since she doesn't know how. She learned Iweb in a day or two. It works perfectly for what she needs it for.

nutritious

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
LMAO You must be the unluckiest guy I've ever heard of. Are you able to leave your house without anything happening to you? I blame mostly the crazy amount of processes vista uses to do one thing that's all. And the classic UAC. LOL I know I know it can be shut off but come on. I'm sorry about your luck with your Apple stuff. I hope you have better luck with PC or Mac whichever you buy next. I've never had anyone tell me they had that much wrong. Not even with PCs let alone a Mac.

I've never had issues with bootcamp or parallels. I must just be lucky I guess.

NC10 yah with the screen almost, off if not off, at idle with nothing running, maybe but I doubt it. Oh wait that has a 10 inch screen don't it. I'm not even going to go there. LMAO

Anyways this isn't about your friends NC10.

It's about reasons for him to tell his father to help him get the laptop he wants. Can you at least help with that?

Nope, I actually think you should lay off the kool-aid...
It was already obvious you had no idea idea what you were talking about, so I didn't bother much, but now you're trying to gloat (no clue why)

Many people have issues with computers, MAC or PC. Why do you think there are constantly threads of people here constantly complaining about problems with their macs? It's real and it happens..

UAC is no more different than OSX requiring you enter your password to install something--they both ask for user consent and both try to accomplish the same goal. However, both won't stop stupid users from installing junk and aren't fool-proof. I actually leave it on for the extra protection and it doesn't get in the way like Mac users act like it does. Windows 7 makes it even less obtrusive...

Second of all, the NC10 was used to demonstrate how Windows actually doesn't affect battery life in such a big way like you think. But just to make you happy, a Sony Vaio Z, with similar specs to a Macbook, gets 5 hour battery life, and accomplishes that while being lighter, too.

Second of all, I've resorted back to building my own computers because I want the best-bang-for-buck. I don't buy pre-built computers anymore...

But anyway, ignorance is bliss. Have fun...

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
It's just easier for some people to use a Mac. I like having the single click on the programs icons on the bar at the bottom of the screen and the fact they are always visible unless you choose otherwise. I like imovie, iphoto, and iweb.
All are easy to use but I think I like iweb the most. I use dreamweaver but my wife likes building sites and it keeps her out of my hair about building it for her in dreamweaver since she doesn't know how. She learned Iweb in a day or two. It works perfectly for what she needs it for.

that is something concrete. But you are ultimately controlling your spending so it is easier to make the purchase.

If my son came to me and said dad, I need a mac for this program that is used throughout the animation profession, I would simply have to cringe and say send me the specs.

If he came up to me and said I want a mac for photoshop and other adobe software he would be on his own because his animation program specifically stated Windows based computers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.