Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iceberg33

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
154E03AA-8E1F-4FC5-94E6-E28BF984C6E8.jpeg
Decided to order a new 10.5 Pro now that it’s on sale at bestbuy and others and found this probably thrown at my front door by Fedex instead. I didn’t realize I was ordering a document!

This was fulfilled by one of their stores and didn’t come from their MN fulfillment center that I used to get orders from. Apparently stores now fulfill online orders to compete with Amazon and reduce shipping times.

The IPad itself doesn’t have any visible damages but I’ve noticed some lag opening closing apps and typing. It’s a good deal at $700 for the 512GB but I’m really pissed that they shipped such a sensitive product with this kind of packaging and I’m worried some internals may have been damaged in shipping and faults will eventually show up later the future. Any thoughts?

Reactions: Lucky11 and max2

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Much ado about nothing. It came in an Apple box, right? It’s fine.
Having traded in an iPad at Best Buy this Last Sunday and having it put in a package just like this, I’m afraid not. No box. Just a naked iPad. Didn’t realize they shipped it like this. <cringe>

revyaanshu

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2018
No way would i accept it without the box. You should complain and then return it. What about the charger? Was that given?

Reactions: max2

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
View attachment 829188 Decided to order a new 10.5 Pro now that it’s on sale at bestbuy and others and found this probably thrown at my front door by Fedex instead. I didn’t realize I was ordering a document!

This was fulfilled by one of their stores and didn’t come from their MN fulfillment center that I used to get orders from. Apparently stores now fulfill online orders to compete with Amazon and reduce shipping times.

The IPad itself doesn’t have any visible damages but I’ve noticed some lag opening closing apps and typing. It’s a good deal at $700 for the 512GB but I’m really pissed that they shipped such a sensitive product with this kind of packaging and I’m worried some internals may have been damaged in shipping and faults will eventually show up later the future. Any thoughts?

I ordered the 11” IPP 1TB cellular from BestBuy and it arrived in its OEM Apple packaging sealed, shrink wrapped and inside a brown box with cautionary stickers warning if opened return to BestBuy. Mine was all good.

Reactions: Fozziebear71

Iceberg33

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
I need to clarify. It came in the sealed original Apple box inside that envelop. But no cardboard box or any other form of protection. I usually buy direct from Apple but the 10.5 pro got discontinued and removed from Apple store the day they announced the new 11”.

I also ordered another one for my brother on Amazon which was supposed to be “shipped and sold by Amazon” but I received a customer return unit with couple of LPG RR return labels on it. Never had such issues before with bestbuy or Amazon. I guess I’ll order directly on Apple from now on. Still hasn't decided on what to do with the bestbuy unit.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
I need to clarify. It came in the sealed original Apple box inside that envelop. But no cardboard box or any other form of protection. I usually buy direct from Apple but the 10.5 pro got discontinued and removed from Apple store the day they announced the new 11”.

I also ordered another one for my brother on Amazon which was supposed to be “shipped and sold by Amazon” but I received a customer return unit with couple of LPG RR return labels on it. Never had such issues before with bestbuy or Amazon. I guess I’ll order directly on Apple from now on. Still hasn't decided on what to do with the bestbuy unit.

If you are in your return window I suggest bringing it to your local BestBuy and see what can be done.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
It looks like efficient packaging. And Fedex is not "throwing" this at your door. The idea
you are attributing app lag to delivery using original box within protective packaging--
but no outer box--is laughable.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I very much doubt that app lag has anything to do with how your device was packed/delivered. There are no moving/mechanical parts inside an iPad that could be damaged by bumps or jostles. Any physical damage severe enough to affect its function would likely be highly visible.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Having traded in an iPad at Best Buy this Last Sunday and having it put in a package just like this, I’m afraid not. No box. Just a naked iPad. Didn’t realize they shipped it like this. <cringe>
But this is a new iPad. So it comes in the Apple box, which is protective. And even in the photo you can see that there is an iPad box inside the padded mailer. You don't need multiple boxes. Just Apple's alone is fine.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
View attachment 829188 Decided to order a new 10.5 Pro now that it’s on sale at bestbuy and others and found this probably thrown at my front door by Fedex instead. I didn’t realize I was ordering a document!

This is why I buy directly from Apple.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I ordered the 11” IPP 1TB cellular from BestBuy and it arrived in its OEM Apple packaging sealed, shrink wrapped and inside a brown box with cautionary stickers warning if opened return to BestBuy. Mine was all good.

Mine came just like this, ^ Only I bought it on eBay from a private seller lol.

11” cellular, 1TB

They must have bought it from bestbuy, and they never opened it, and just sold it after it came to them.
[doublepost=1553889456][/doublepost]

It is probably fine. I think you got a great deal, on a great iPad. The 512GB of storage is a very nice option. Enjoy it!

Reactions: Iceberg33

Iceberg33

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
Thank you for all for your comments. I decided to give it a try and keep it for now.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
What Best Buy is doing is sending out returns or demos, if people keep them it’s a win for Best Buy.
If is gets returned in their new 14 day return policy your lucky.
Trust me Best Buy is not a good place to buy an iPad.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Best Buy service is declining, and I hope they fix it. I went in looking for a camcorder last week and the selection was terrible, the display area was dirty, and nobody to answer any questions.

Went back a couple days later looking for a screen protector, once again, nobody there to help, if you want to speak with one of the reps, it was a 45 minute wait to speak with a rep, you wouldn’t find this out if you didn’t hunt someone down after 15 minutes to ask. I had to get my own questions asked looking at reviews of the screen protectors they had. Then they want to charge $8 to install the protector, and it would had been another 45 minutes to have a geek squad guy install because the floor reps don’t do it anymore. I told the guy only if it assures me no bubbles or dust under it. He couldn’t promise that.

It’s a great deal on the iPad for sure. If no obvious physical damage you should be fine. But I’d be as annoyed as you if I received one shipped like that. Best Buy needs to step up their game.

I even answered their survey, they asked if I wanted a manager to respond which I said sure. Never heard back.

Reactions: Iceberg33

Fenhalls

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2019
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II just had a selection of the new iPads delivered to Buck House (gifts from Meghan):

947f22265f750570ed02aa892f173e1e.jpg

Reactions: VertPin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.