Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
All the quality people at my local Best Buy are gone, the new bunch are part time and are very few who care to help if they could help. I have noticed a big decline in camera Dept. There is a Apple guy not a Best Buy employee but he is not there all the time.
Best Buy has changed return and refund policy to just 14 days also the price match policy some items 14 days others 30 days, not really plain as in past.
I only buy Apple products at my Apple store anymore I don’t trust dealing with Best Buy today, sadly I really for years loved them and had many people I knew and trusted for years things have changed and not for the better.

Reactions: Iceberg33

Iceberg33

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
Best Buy service is declining, and I hope they fix it. I went in looking for a camcorder last week and the selection was terrible, the display area was dirty, and nobody to answer any questions.

Went back a couple days later looking for a screen protector, once again, nobody there to help, if you want to speak with one of the reps, it was a 45 minute wait to speak with a rep, you wouldn’t find this out if you didn’t hunt someone down after 15 minutes to ask. I had to get my own questions asked looking at reviews of the screen protectors they had. Then they want to charge $8 to install the protector, and it would had been another 45 minutes to have a geek squad guy install because the floor reps don’t do it anymore. I told the guy only if it assures me no bubbles or dust under it. He couldn’t promise that.

It’s a great deal on the iPad for sure. If no obvious physical damage you should be fine. But I’d be as annoyed as you if I received one shipped like that. Best Buy needs to step up their game.

I even answered their survey, they asked if I wanted a manager to respond which I said sure. Never heard back.

Agreed about the service decline at bestbuy. At least online shopping used to be a decent experience before they decided to let stores fulfill online orders.
No visible damage even on the iPad box. I checked the serial number on apple website and the warranty start date is the same as the delivery date of the iPad. It’s an October 2018 production and the last time the battery was fully charged is 2018/10/10. I guess these all indicate that this is a brand new unit.

mwhals

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I always have my Best Buy Apple products delivered to the store and I have had no problems so far.

JDnLex

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2014
View attachment 829188 Decided to order a new 10.5 Pro now that it’s on sale at bestbuy and others and found this probably thrown at my front door by Fedex instead. I didn’t realize I was ordering a document!

This was fulfilled by one of their stores and didn’t come from their MN fulfillment center that I used to get orders from. Apparently stores now fulfill online orders to compete with Amazon and reduce shipping times.

The IPad itself doesn’t have any visible damages but I’ve noticed some lag opening closing apps and typing. It’s a good deal at $700 for the 512GB but I’m really pissed that they shipped such a sensitive product with this kind of packaging and I’m worried some internals may have been damaged in shipping and faults will eventually show up later the future. Any thoughts?

The envelope packaging would concern me, although as it’s been said, the iPad is pretty well protected in the Apple box.

I personally have had great experiences ordering for delivery and in store pickup from Best Buy, although I prefer in store pickup to avoid having packages subjected to home delivery shipping.

I recently installed a camera aimed at my front door. It’s been interesting to see how my packages are delivered. USPS, UPS, and Amazon all gently sit packages down, often in a way so they are concealed from view. The FedEx delivery person, and so far it’s the same person, gets about 10 steps away from the porch and hurls it the rest of the way with some decent force. Thank goodness my door is steel, otherwise instead of bouncing back it might go on through.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
It wouldn’t bother me. Was it brand new? I mean $700 for a 512GB iPad Pro 2nd gen. Whatever. Use it, keep it, enjoy it. I’d only return it if there was a problem with it.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
View attachment 829188 Decided to order a new 10.5 Pro now that it’s on sale at bestbuy and others and found this probably thrown at my front door by Fedex instead. I didn’t realize I was ordering a document!

This was fulfilled by one of their stores and didn’t come from their MN fulfillment center that I used to get orders from. Apparently stores now fulfill online orders to compete with Amazon and reduce shipping times.

The IPad itself doesn’t have any visible damages but I’ve noticed some lag opening closing apps and typing. It’s a good deal at $700 for the 512GB but I’m really pissed that they shipped such a sensitive product with this kind of packaging and I’m worried some internals may have been damaged in shipping and faults will eventually show up later the future. Any thoughts?
We usually never did it like that, (I’d have been fired instantly if I did it that way) we had specific big computer and tablet boxes that protected the heck out of the product box. That’s ridiculous.

Kallum.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Packaging is wasn't it used to be. I remember ordering an expensive camera lens and around the same time I ordered a bottle of bed bug killer from Amazon. At the time I didn't think nothing of it as I surely thought Amazon would not be stupid as sending both in the same box. To my surprise the U.S. Mail Person knocked on the front door as I looked at my package I see a liquid dripping on my front porch. I check the tracking number on my phone and noticed the Lens was in the same package. She said that something punctured the box that caused something to leak. I think she was going just to hand it off to me, but I stopped her in doing so when I said "I'm not accepting that package as I have an expensive lens in the package as well". The lens might had been OK, but the packaged was damaged and leaking making me not wanting to take a chance on it being OK. Needless to say I spent nearly 2 hours arguing with Amazon over that delivery and finally got it resolved in my favor. I know warehouse workers are not paid very much at Amazon, but whoever thought it was a good idea to put a bottle of liquid in the same package as an expensive lens had no common sense.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Packaging is wasn't it used to be. I remember ordering an expensive camera lens and around the same time I ordered a bottle of bed bug killer from Amazon. At the time I didn't think nothing of it as I surely thought Amazon would not be stupid as sending both in the same box. To my surprise the U.S. Mail Person knocked on the front door as I looked at my package I see a liquid dripping on my front porch. I check the tracking number on my phone and noticed the Lens was in the same package. She said that something punctured the box that caused something to leak. I think she was going just to hand it off to me, but I stopped her in doing so when I said "I'm not accepting that package as I have an expensive lens in the package as well". The lens might had been OK, but the packaged was damaged and leaking making me not wanting to take a chance on it being OK. Needless to say I spent nearly 2 hours arguing with Amazon over that delivery and finally got it resolved in my favor. I know warehouse workers are not paid very much at Amazon, but whoever thought it was a good idea to put a bottle of liquid in the same package as an expensive lens had no common sense.
The most shocking part of that story is that Amazon argued with you about it.

I’ve had a few damaged deliveries over the years, and never once have they argued with me or even asked me to prove or return damaged items. They simply apologize and try to make it right.

Iceberg33

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
It wouldn’t bother me. Was it brand new? I mean $700 for a 512GB iPad Pro 2nd gen. Whatever. Use it, keep it, enjoy it. I’d only return it if there was a problem with it.

Pretty decent deal! Brand new in original apple sealed box. Checked the serial number and warranty coverage and everything checked out. No problems so far. Most likely will keep it. Based my experience no garauntee the next one Is gonna be any better than this.
[doublepost=1554197883][/doublepost]
We usually never did it like that, (I’d have been fired instantly if I did it that way) we had specific big computer and tablet boxes that protected the heck out of the product box. That’s ridiculous.

Kallum.

Did you work in fulfillment center or the store? This is my first best buy purchase which was dispatched from a store instead of the MN fulfillment center. They always used decent packaging before this one
[doublepost=1554198177][/doublepost]

I think Amazon isn’t what it used to be as well. The other iPad Pro I ordered on amazon arrived with a return label on the iPad box itself. Did a little bit of research and found out this was a customer return to a third party seller on Amazon and it somehow ended up in Amazon's new inventory. Maybe on purpose!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
But this is a new iPad. So it comes in the Apple box, which is protective. And even in the photo you can see that there is an iPad box inside the padded mailer. You don't need multiple boxes. Just Apple's alone is fine.

I have to not agree. The ipad is right under the lid of the box and if that box is dented on the top edges, it could damage the device. If Apple's box were larger than the iPad and it was suspended in the box with packing, it would be safer. Someone would only need to step on the Apple box in the envelope and it would get bent/damaged.

Shippers are known for throwing packages

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I have to not agree. The ipad is right under the lid of the box and if that box is dented on the top edges, it could damage the device. If Apple's box were larger than the iPad and it was suspended in the box with packing, it would be safer. Someone would only need to step on the Apple box in the envelope and it would get bent/damaged.

Shippers are known for throwing packages
I used to work for UPS loading trucks, so I know how packages are handled, and you’re generally not wrong. In my mind, I think FedEx is a little better about this, but they’re probably all the same in reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I used to work for UPS loading truck, so I know how packages are handled, and you’re generally not wrong. In my mind, I think FedEx is a little better about this, but they’re probably all the same in reality.

I like FedEx better than UPS but UPS has a bit better tracking. For some reason FedEx thinks my office address is a residence and causes shipments to be sent residential, most the time well after my office is closed and the gate locked. Multiple calls will never get it changed.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I honestly would contact BB corporate and also leave feedback on Apple’s site, as this kind of stuff can hurt Apple’s bottom line, image, and even the relationship with a customer. *obviously you know this wasn’t how Apple would do it, but if they saw BB doing this, Best Buy would address it ASAP if Apple got involved even a little. At my store I worked at, Apple products and TVs were often our biggest areas of sale. December-August is biggest time for Apple products to move, TVs are November-January then May-July. *obviously Apple sells good all year but more with back to school then a break during fall and then a big spike in December.

Best Buy Corporate will pretend they care, but they don’t really do anything about it unless you post it or contact them enough they are forced to send a statement or talk to GMs (then have them talk to their back end team.)
So I’d send a few emails with pictures to them and Apple’s feedback section anyway, just to get it out there.

Heck, I can share this on my FB, Twitter, or Instagram if you want (cause I’m still pretty deeply connected with BB.) They have been dropping the ball the past while, and these are mistakes they can’t afford to make with Amazon expanding so much, they are getting ever so much closer to putting BB out of business.

Long tangent over, apologies. lol

Kallum.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I ordered a MacBook Pro from best buy that was shipped in a box with no padding. The hinge made a very strange noise when opening and closing. I returned it.

Aurora823

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018

Yea they do crap shipping. One package I received from Bestbuy had a hole so big in th box that the apple pencil I ordered could have definitely slipped out of it (luckily it did not). I would return it if you question anything. And omg the prices went back up by a lot! Now the 10.5 pro 256gb is $799 thats more than I paid for one a few months ago...best buys pricing is all over the place..as are their shipping standards

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
It’s easy for some people to think the OP is overreacting, but I would be unhappy if my iPad were delivered without better packaging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.