This is why I'm waiting for an LTE iPhone. :)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spectrum Abuser, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Spectrum Abuser, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7HQwb6yBZs

One bar of AT&T LTE pulls off 40 ping and 21Mbps download along with 6Mbps upload. My area has FOUR bars of LTE so just imagine the speeds I'd get! So I'm terribly sorry Apple. I really thought I could sustain on 3G for another year, but this video has me drooling considering one bar of LTE beats my DSL Elite 6Mbps/1Mbps package. iP6 here I wait! :D

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Hey, that's faster than what we get, and I'm on the 'fastest network' in the UK.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its nice if its available in your area and if the LTE chip doesnt eat up the battery like other phones that die in a few hours.
    Im happy with HSPA+ in my local area.
    Im pulling 5-6 down and 1-2 upload on the regural with AT&T.

4. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

More iPhone 5 for me :)

Good luck with that battery on 4G

5. Spectrum Abuser thread starter macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Contrary to popular belief, LTE is actually BETTER for the battery then 3G. Hence the ping is same/lower then most peoples home connections the phone does not have to work as hard to keep a stable data flow to and from the tower. And I'm sure Apple will have the battery issue down by 2013.

6. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

May I point you to the Thunderbolt as well as the Evo and their horrible battery life please? Android's power management may suck but they don't suck that bad.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Unluckily, this high bandwidth might go down as traffic increases. Although if they do sustain these speeds with say a regular workload on the tower, great job AT&T.

8. rwd hero macrumors 6502

A friend of mine at work has the thunderbolt and he gets about 2 hours of use form his phone before its time for a charge. I have to assume it has a little to do with the 4G, because every other android phone I see people use get way more than 2 hours of use before charge time.

9. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

And who's to say LTE going to be in your area anytime soon?

Don't get me wrong LTE is great in all but if it's not in your area than who cares

10. Spectrum Abuser thread starter macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

As I stated above.. The network is there but the battery isn't. I'm not switching over to Android. I'm simply waiting for the iP6. And I can say with confidence that Apple will have better battery technology in 2013 then what is available now. LTE will be an amazing piece of engineering that is just starting to be unlocked. I can see it now.

----------

LTE is already in my area. Four bars thanks to Texas being AT&T's headquarters.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont think the ping has anything to do with the battery life.
    Its that the LTE modems in cellphones are really bad battery hogs so far with all phones.
    Unless Apple waits for an improvement in either the LTE chipsets or in the battery dept it will also suck bad in battery terms like the rest of the true LTE phones at the moment.

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

For the very first time since the iPhone was introduced, I too am going to skip a generation and pass on the iP5. In my case for a few reasons. It's a very big disappointment but Apple gives me no choice. All indicators suggest the display will still be less than a 16:9 aspect ratio. A poor move considering Apples focus on fun entertaining devices.

Also I'm put off at the thought of them making it thinner instead of significantly increasing battery life if they left it the same as now. Apples addiction to making it very thin & dainty in it's dimensions appeals to the ladies, but not to me. Now after a couple of years using Androids concurrently, I'm spoiled by their spacious displays of true widescreen size.

I'm counting on the A6 project & hybrid iOS to deliver a truly significant improvement. Also after an additional year perhaps Apple will decide to put a modern display in it. Apple can be slow to adapt if they can't brag they invented the idea.

13. Spectrum Abuser thread starter macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

If you want to get down and dirty ping sure does play a part in battery life. Say you click on a webpage on 3G. Your ping is 600Ms which means it will take on average a second for your phone to send a single to the closet tower to start connecting the specific websites server. That can take 2-10 seconds and after that the actual data will be loaded onto your device. During this whole process your phones 3G radio is fully activated and waiting for responses from the tower. With LTE the ping is so low the actual data transmission will be nearly blink of an eye instant. That also means the chipset will be running for less then a fraction of the 3G time.

14. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I doubt that it will have an overall big effect on the battery life.

15. Spectrum Abuser thread starter macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Of course it won't be a big player in the battery usage. But it will help preserve some of the juice and also make your browsing and phone usage that much more enjoyable.

Also.. Say I needed to download a file on the go. A 20Mb file would take a couple of minutes on the average 3G network. On LTE it can be completed in a matter of seconds. After the file is downloaded I can put my phone back up and preserve battery life which would otherwise still be draining on 3G. Just a little example I thought of.

16. Spectrum Abuser thread starter macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I don't mind too much on the display. I came from a 2.1inch display before the iPhone and I was blown away. But I've owned four 3G phones counting my iP4 so It's time to move onto bigger and faster networks.

17. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

My understanding is that the current generation of LTE chipsets do not simultaneously support 3G and 2G technology. Hence there is still a need to incorporate both chips, taking up space hence forcing the phone to become very large, and of course chew up more batteries since it has to power two sets of chips instead of one. Apple is unwilling to make these compromises, and is waiting for the next generation of LTE chips which incorporates 3G and 2G within the same chipset to be available.

18. Spectrum Abuser thread starter macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Mostly correct. For CDMA networks such as Verizon you will currently need two separate chips as LTE and CDMA are two separate networks. But I believe LTE and GSM are backwards compatible. Don't take my word for it, though.

19. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Can I just say, what's the point of LTE with tiered data? I mean if you have AT&T's 2GB plan and with speeds of 50Mbps you'd hit that in less than a day!!!

What are you people gonna be downloading that you need 50Mbps for anyway?

20. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

It would be awesome if apple gave a ton of money to some company to secure and obtain the best LTE radio chips before the rest of the market like they did with NAND flash memory.

Shock and awe us with a 4" screen, LTE and maintain IP4 like battery life. I know you can do it apple!

Sadly, i doubt the IP5 will have LTE. Just like the original iphone and 3g.

Stuff

21. Spectrum Abuser thread starter macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I'm rocking my unlimited data plan so I'll gladly use LTE.

22. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Yeah but AT&T won't offer it too much longer. I'm assuming if you switch to a 4G phone or renew your contract you'll loose it.

Oh and keep in mind staring next month AT&T will begin to throttle heavy users on the unlimited plan. I'm all for that by the way. Do people not have WIFI?? Seriously?

23. Spectrum Abuser thread starter macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Correction. They DONT offer it and haven't been for over a year. I just got grandfathered in. And tons of people have upgraded to phones such as the Atrix or the Infuse and kept their unlimited plans.

24. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I meant they will not continue to offer it much longer to those who are grandfathered in. After the contract is up they have no obligation to offer it to you anymore. As of right now many might have been able to keep it but how much longer do you think that's gonna last? And don't forget about the throttling heavy users beginning next month. Only time will tell but don't think just because you're "grandfathered" you have it for life. Once they go completely LTE I guarantee unlimited data will be gone. The Attrix and Inspire use HSPA+ which max out at 14.4mbps. HSPA+ is NOT LTE.

25. Spectrum Abuser thread starter macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

As long as I don't sign a different/new contract they cannot take away the unlimited data plan. When I signed on they promised unlimited access. Now if I were to sign a new contract that still offered the grandfathered status no doubt it would say somewhere AT&T has the right to modify it and then they could legally change it. If I bought a LTE-capable phone out of contract they would still have to honor my grandfathered status on the new phone. So $30 for unlimited LTE is going to be amazing.