This New Yorker is pretty pissed about iOS 6 maps

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Johnny Quest, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Johnny Quest macrumors newbie

I'm sure there's probably already been a thread started about this, but it bears repeating.

As someone who lives in New York City (along with more than 8 million others), I use the public transportation routing feature on the iPhone's Maps app on an almost daily basis. Google's work in this area is really superb. Unlike the standalone NYC subway apps, Google's routing will actually include buses in my route (particularly useful on the far east side of Manhattan or the outer boroughs). Of course, there's also ferries, NJ Transit, LIRR, Metro North, and Amtrak integrated right in, along with the incredibly useful scheduling options.

And now, Apple gets rid of all of this and replaces it with turn-by-turn navigation which, for someone who doesn't own a car and drives a handful of times a year, is completely ****ing useless. And what else.. oh, no street view, ugly map tiles with garish colors and a flyover feature that's a complete novelty. So now I'm supposed to find mass transit routes through multiple standalone apps, which even together won't be able to duplicate the incredible ease and usefulness of Google's solution? This "third party developers do transit routing better than we do" bull from Apple is just a complete cop out.

And for what? So Apple can continue their immature little grudge match with Google, completely screwing millions of people who live in big cities and rely on mass transit in the process? What an unbelievably stupid move. If Steve Jobs were still around, I find it hard to believe he would allow a rollout of a redesign that would eliminate so many features like this.

So what do people like me do? Hold off on updating to iOS 6 I suppose. Hopefully Google releases a standalone maps app, but given Apple's immaturity in ditching their superior implementation in the first place, who knows if it will even get their approval? Apple might've even alienated them enough at this point that they won't bother developing one. If that's the case, hopefully some kind of jailbreak solution will allow me to keep the old maps app. I'd be lying if I said all this wasn't pushing me to consider Android.

Apple... is it too much to ask that you don't take away major features in your products that people actively rely on!? ****ing idiots.

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

We can only hope Google puts out a Google maps iOS app. I'm not holding my breath though. So far all Google apps for iOS have been missing features that their android counterparts have; and it takes forever for Google apps to get approved in the app store. We are still waiting on chrome and Google drive for iOS, and the hangout feature in Google+...

3. ProphetX macrumors regular

Do you guys remember that this is only the first beta? Not even a public beta. Its not ready for use period. Quit crying.

4. MadMitch89 macrumors regular

You expect in 3(-ish) months they'll have added public transport data for around the world (and all the other missing features)? Big bet! It will take years for Apple maps to catch up to Google. We must expect an inferior product for some time, while Apple builds its map database. That's the nature of the beast.

5. Johnny Quest thread starter macrumors newbie

The elimination of mass transit and street view is confirmed. Don't tell me to quit crying when I'm legitimately pissed off about Apple taking away crucial features from me.

Anyone who thinks iOS 6's maps app is an acceptable replacement for the old one is caught up in the reality distortion field. Please... flyover view isn't something people are going to use after a week of playing around with it, if that.

6. petsounds macrumors 65816

If you listen to Scott Forstall in the WWDC keynote talk about partnering with 3rd party apps for transit information, you'll realize that Apple's tactic is to just present a list of apps you can get public transit directions from. I guess this is a win for developers, but a big lose for user experience. It won't be consistent and it won't be up to the standards we've come to expect. Whether Apple adds transit directions in a future release is anyone's guess.

More here: http://waxy.org/2012/06/busting_the_ios_6_transit_map_myths/

Oh, and to the OP: Jobs was certainly involved in the Maps overhaul. Something this big has been in the planning for at least a couple years. People need to stop invoking his name every time they don't like something Apple does. There was plenty to not like when he was still around!

7. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Not sure why you are so angry about this I'm sure the new mapping system will be fine for on foot routes just like google. Do you know how it will work in 3 months when the final version is released? no you don't. So don't complain till you've actually tried something in its finished stage.

8. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I'm only speaking for myself here, but I much prefer mass transit apps from this company called embark when I visit a city I'm unfamiliar with than using Google Maps (http://letsembark.com/). Maybe I'm in the minority here, but there are some developers that can do some great stuff.

9. Johnny Quest thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed, and I knew invoking Jobs was in bad taste, but I don't care. And I'm quite sure he was involved in the maps overhaul, but I also know he was a stickler for perfection. I feel like Jobs would've pushed back the new maps until iOS 7, when Apple was able to fully duplicate the old app's functionality. I get the feeling they're pushing out this new half-baked solution now just to be able to have a headlining feature for iOS 6.

But still upvoted for your username.

I've yet to see an app that integrates both the NYC subway and MTA buses, which are pretty important for those of us living on the east side! I'll happily stand corrected if someone could point out such an app to me.

10. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

You can use iOS 5.1.1. Google maps is not free anymore. You have to pay 0.4~0.8 cent per session. It could be significant cost for you. For example, 0.8 cent x 4 uses/day x 25 days/month = 80 cent / month.

I also guess "Number of people using transportation routing feature < Number of people using turn-by-turn navigation feature".

11. ProphetX macrumors regular

There will be plenty of 3rd part apps out there that tie into the maps app. But again dont cry over a beta. At launch the map app along with some 3rd party app might provide something better than what google has been offering.

12. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Call it what you want, OP's post is about a native App being replaced with one that loses functionality he relies on.

Seems like a legitimate gripe to me. I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to allow apple to hide behind the Beta banner WRT to maps.

13. petsounds macrumors 65816

Ha! Thanks. It's also quite possible that contractual agreements were ending, and they legally had no other choice but to replace Google Maps. Perhaps they underestimated how long it would take and then got stuck with a deadline and no other option, such as the MobileMe launch. Who knows. Maybe the real story will come out in 15 years.

Maybe you're right, and if Jobs was around he'd bring the Maps team together:
    "Can anyone tell me what Maps is supposed to do?"
    "Um...display maps?"
    "Display maps. Okay. So why the %@# doesn't it do that? Mossberg, our friend, said, 'Apple's Maps looks like the GPS I had in 1997. And I think that had more features.' You should all hate each other for what you've done to Apple's reputation."

I can't imagine Tim Cook having that conversation!

14. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

In the current beta, when search a location, tap the pin then tap directions to here.. It prompts up with 3 icons, car, walk,and a public transportation.

Car and walk work.. The public transportation Goes to a blank screen with a title "Routing apps".
    My theory is apple will be partnering with third parties (as mention in the keynote) but integrating them right in the app... Sort of like yelp integration with reviews and "business cards".

Because this is beta1, developers are JUST getting access to it. I would suspect before this goes public we will see the void filled.

If not, that really sucks.. I'm fairly certain google will release a stand alone maps app though. In their mapping presentation they stated something about wanting to get all features on other platforms as well.. So I think that means more than android phones.

15. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

Not to cause a problem, but how did you navigate around NYC without an iPhone/iPad? Maybe it's just me, but blaming Apple for not being able to get around seems sort of shallow. Maybe there is something I don't understand. Are brains obsolete? Is Apple responsible for your bathroom visits?

16. Reddkryten macrumors 6502

That's pretty much what Scott Forstall said. I think this is a problem at the moment as it is a beta, but just like how passbook is currently empty and newstand was an empty rack for awhile, a new maps category will be added to the AppStore and this hole will be filled.

At the moment I have two transport apps. One for the London undergound, another for rail travel across the country (I think that app may also cover the undergound, I've just never bothered to check). I was reading yesterday about an app which covers every bus stop in the country, unfortunately I didn't write down the name (if anyone knows please tell me). Anyway, my point is if all three of those apps get an update which allows them to plug into apple maps, problem solved.

I honestly don't believe this is an issue, I just believe this is something which is still incoming because iOS 6 is a beta and developers haven't had a chance to update yet. Failing that, google maps is still available in a browser or in an app they release.

17. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

So tell us when you give up your cell phone and go back to a couple of cans tied together with string. :rolleyes:

OP's right about the immature pissing match resulting in us being left with a far inferior app. But go ahead and keep singing the praise to your Apple. Maybe in your dreams, Steve is smiling down on you.

18. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Exactly what I was thinking. And I would also be very surprised if Google maps doesn't end up coming out with an IOS app. This is a non issue IMO

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So I can take extra steps to get the same functionality in iOS6 as I did in iOS5 and previous versions? You're right. Problem solved.

20. tigress666 macrumors 68040

There's been hangout in the G+ app for a while.... or do you mean starting a hangout (I don't know if it has that but you can join them anyways).

But yeah, Apple is pretty slow about approving google apps (I remember it took them a while to approve the G+ app).

As for google not making an apple app, they said they want to support everyone and I've read they actually get more of their revenue from iOS than Android so they'd be foolish not to. ONe could argue (though I don't profess to know which would be better) that they'd be better fully supporting iOS rather than trying to handicap the apps to get people to go to Android.

21. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Well said. I'm dependent on the Maps app in my phone, but maybe Google could release it as a standalone app. Sadly the only thing standing in their way is really just Apple, if anything.

22. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I mostly agree, especially after looking at screenshots where their actual maps really suck compared to Google's, but from the video I saw of flyover, where it is available it looks like it will be a decent replacement for street view (it does look like it is modeled after what it looks IRL and it looks like you can get a pretty close up view).

That being said, I think they just said some number of metropolitan cities right now which is great if you are lucky enough to live in those. But I don't even know if the city I live *near* is covered and since I don't live in the city and only go there rarely, I doubt that will help me anyways.

In general I know it takes time to get good maps, but maybe if Apple insists on their little grudge match they should have waited rather than making it feel like a serious downgrade especially when it is supposed to be their major change to the new iOS.

23. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

If you did not live in NYC you could afford a full time chauffeur driven limousine.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

LOLWUT? :confused: