This thing gets hot fast!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dexterbell, Apr 14, 2015.

1. dexterbell, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

dexterbell macrumors 6502a

1.1GHz base model. 5 minutes of web browsing and a 5 minutes of streaming webcam video (only taking up 1/4 of the screen) and this thing is HOT! My iPad Air 2 and 6 plus dont even do this. Im almost afraid to push this thing. For sure not to be used on your lap or chest unless you can take some serious heat.

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

How hot are we talking about? Like uncomfortably hot? All the reviews did say it gets a little warm but nothing to worry about.

3. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Weren't you not gonna get one or telling people they shouldn't? What happened?

Anyways I don't care how hot it gets I'll put up with a 3rd degree burn for retina and thin form factor.

4. dexterbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Uncomfortably hot from underneath the H key all the way to the right and all the way to the screen, that entire area. The rest stays a bit cooler though. Where do I check the temps to see how hot its getting?

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Do you have a digital meat thermometer you can touch to the case to try and get a reading? I only suggest that because you probably don't have an IR thermometer.

6. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Mine got pretty hot too, but Dropbox and MAS were both downloading at max speed, and the MB was on my desk.

After the downloads were finished, it cooled down to... warm.

7. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

If anything breaks internally, you got Apple care right? It's definitively one of the device to get apple care.

8. dexterbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not yet. Haven't even decided if Im keeping it yet

9. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

It's covered under warranty the first year. Why do you need apple care?

10. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

There is 1 year of guarantee anyway. You don't need AppleCare before that.

11. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

I gotta say I haven't experienced this at all. Even when mine has gotten hot it hasn't been much worse than my iPad Air when pushed. Question, what browser did you use? I used to use Firefox regularly, but have been using Safari since the 2015 rMBP I had (then returned). I noticed there's a HUGE difference in heat using Firefox/Chrome versus Safari.

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

New Macbook roasted your nuts? Better caul Saul!

13. dexterbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Using Safari. Have you tried streaming videos on it yet? sit it on your chest while streaming videos, you'll feel it.

14. hypno macrumors regular

I've been pushing mine pretty hard in Photoshop tonight and while it gets warm it is nowhere to the level that I would have reservations about keeping it in my lap. I guess it could be a bit more startling for some than others, but in my opinion it is far from dangerous or running at levels where I think the system can't tolerate.

15. dexterbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

Photoshop and web browsing only get it a bit warm. Try VIDEO. Stream 1080p videos full screen on Youtube and see what happens after about 5 minutes.

16. Dekimasu macrumors regular

Actually, I did this in the store and noticed it getting warm pretty quickly. I asked the Apple guy about it, but he didn't seem concerned. Just said something about the heat sink cover working as designed.

17. LoveToMacRumors, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015

LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

He doesn't know **** lol.

18. Dekimasu, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015

Dekimasu macrumors regular

I stopped asking him questions after that.

19. dexterbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea, I mean my iPad Air 2 gets a little warm sometimes but this was downright hot. Like "Im worried I might fry some internals" kinda hot.

20. Dekimasu macrumors regular

He also said something about putting his phone in the freezer for a few minutes...

21. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

not a good thing, a review said it got to 43 degrees at the bottom, i can see that getting uncomfortable.

any method you can report the actual temperature? I remember there used to be a program for that

22. dexterbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

I really hope putting the MacBook in the freezer after 5-10 minutes of streaming fullscreen 1080p video isn't the answer haha.

23. Dekimasu macrumors regular

Then you wouldn't be able to use it. What you really need is a walk-in freezer! I hear they can be powered by USB-C if you have a dongle. :D

24. dexterbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did a test in iMovie earlier today exporting a 4 minute video and it got very warm then too. Im going to push it to 10 minute export and see what happens. On a table though in case this thing blows haha