This thread is a response to "I got a free iPhone 4"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by murdercitydevil, Jul 23, 2010.

1. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Well, unlike all those threads, I really DID get a free iPhone 4. Or, at least, that's one way of looking at it. And be warned before you read this (or not), it truly is a COOL STORY BRO. Here's how it went down.

I waited in line on the eve of launch day like so many others, but I was lucky enough to do it at a very special location - a mall where a brand new Apple store was holding its grand opening, the same day as the iPhone 4 launch. This is important for 2 reasons, each more important than the last. First, because this store didn't officially even exist until the 24th, it had ZERO pre-orders. That meant every single person waiting in line was a walk-in. This was perfect for me because like so many others, I couldn't get a pre-order in, and this way had a much, much better chance of securing a phone. Second, this meant that all the store employees were BRAND NEW. Why would this matter, you may be asking yourself, as you scratch your beard quizzically? Read on, my friends, read on.

The employees at this particular store were new. They were trained, of course, prior to the store's grand opening. But as it turns out, most of their training must have been focused on the iPhone launch, and not much else. And rightfully so. The significance of their ineptitude with other every day Apple store tasks, however, became apparent to me when my transaction became a minor snafu.

Through some misunderstandings with my bank, they put a "suspicious activity" hold on my card, which was my only source of funds at that moment. So until I cleared that, my card was utterly useless. Luckily enough, the phones at that Apple store didn't work, and my old phone had conveniently run out of batteries, so I was forced to do the following - put my iPhone transaction on hold, run to the nearest ATM, withdraw money, and put it on an Apple gift card, which would then be used to make my purchase. I withdrew 400 bucks, came back, and put 367 and change on an Apple gift card.

This is where they s'hit the bed, because like I said, they were untrained in matters such as these. I still don't know exactly what happened, but one way or another, while charging the gift card and ringing up the phone and whatnot, a slip-up was committed. And the gift card they handed back to me after everything was paid for, which we all assumed had a balance of zero dollars, was not quite what it seemed. Upon arriving home, just before throwing away said gift card, I checked the balance online. $367. Phone activated, AT&T account set up, everything paid for, every penny back in my pocket in the form of Apple cash as a result of a huge blunder.

The end. Told you it was a cool story, bro.

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Damn you. I can't upload pictures from my phone.

3. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

4. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I second his statement.

Btw - I am still annoyed by the fact I can't post pics. :(

5. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

well, do you still have that card? have you checked the balance lately, perhaps it came out delayed. IDK.

6. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

no dude that's exactly what I thought. I panicked at first that maybe it was just like a credit card "processing" a payment and decided not to use it. Then after like 2-3 days I tested it out by ordering a bumper, and sure enough it all went through. Since then every Apple related purchase I need has been done with that magical card.

7. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

that's pretty sweet...i'm hating!!

i am def jealous!!

8. 101AirAssault macrumors member

No you didn't get a free iPhone, you stole an iPhone. Try to justify it any way you wish you
    received an item of great value which you did not pay for, which was not a gift.
    An honest person would go into apple, admit that there was a mistake and pay for the device. Now I know I'll be chastised and ridiculed for saying so but some people in this world do have integrity and that integrity isn't for sale, even for a "free" iPhone.

Flame away, back the op as if he did nothing wrong, wish it was you.....that doesn't change the fact he is knowingly keeping an iPhone which he didn't pay for. Saying things like it wasn't his fault or they screwed up doesn't change anything.

9. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

This is all true. I'm actually the one that built this store...with my bare hands. My friend Mr. Norris helped me. Well I call him chuck.

10. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

He didn't steel an iPhone. He stole and Apple card worth $367.
    Mind you, what's he going to do?

(Reminds me of the time I bought a 2nd hand car for $8,000. The seller wanted a bank cheque. Picked it up from the bank and only glanced at the amount printed on it. When I gave it to the man and drove off I saw him chasing me on foot faster than Superman. I stopped to find that the cheque I had given him was only for $800.)

11. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

wow, he didn't steal anything. His story says he did what was asked of him by the store. it is not his fault if they screwed up. you all sure are quick to throw someone under the bus.

12. 101AirAssault macrumors member

Does the OP have something in his possession that he didn't pay for? Was said item a gift? If he does and it wasn't he stole it.

Like I said, try and justify it any way you please but I won't be back to try and convince those of you that are dishonest that he and you are wrong. You will continue in your lives being dishonest and I'll be thankful that at least some people in this world are honest and have integrity. Nuff said.

13. cowsrus macrumors 6502

I have to agree, this isn't safeway not charging you for your cereal accidentally when you bought $100 worth of stuff, an honest man would right the wrong.

If you are going to buy an iPhone the $367 shouldn't be too much of a strain so there shouldn't be too much incentive to sell your integrity. If this was me I would go back and tell them, you wouldn't be getting anything in return, but if you really love this product, don't insult them by stealing it. (And yes, realizing you had not paid for a product and continuing to not attempt to pay for it is stealing, if you don't believe that, I wouldn't want to meet you in the real world.)

14. samcraig macrumors P6

It seems 101 and I haven't agreed on much lately - but on this topic - we are in 100 percent agreement.

And what's amusing (not really) is that people like the OP are also the ones who will later complain about a bad experience with a Genius. Or that Apple won't take back the phone because of x, y or z. Or whatever your complaint is forgetting the fact that the device you own wasn't paid for. That you, in short, stole it and in fact aren't ENTITLED to anything.

In short - and this isn't about religion but ethics - It's unfortunate that your INTEGRITY can be "bought" for the very low sum of $367.

What makes it even worse is that rather than just selling out you're integrity - you also had to brag about it. You couldn't just cheat the system - you had to BRAG about it.

And on the forum side - you couldn't just BRAG about it - but you had to make sure you had your own thread instead of posting in the other guy's thread.

Talk about EGO and Lack of Integrity.

Yeah. I said it.

15. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

You guys are crazy. If someone came up to you and GAVE you $300 dollars, how would that be stealing?

The OP did everything he could in good faith to pay for an iPhone.

The Apple store, did just about everything they could to screw up the transaction.

I say keep the $367 as compensation for them making your debit/credit card unusable since you had to spend your own time fixing their screw up.

You're going to have to pay like $80-$90 a month to use the phone anyway, so AT&T will get their money.

As for apple... well, the joke is on them for doing such a superb job training at their new location. Maybe the same guys who designed the antennae were transferred to that store

16. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

I wonder if the employee got in trouble? Or fired? Sounds like they never even caught it...:confused:

If it were me I'd probably feel guilty. :eek:

17. ClaudiusEsq macrumors newbie

Less fraudulent, my boss also received a free iPhone 4. He sent his 3GS in for a faulty battery repair and he was sent an iPhone 4 back in return. When he called to notify them of the mixup they asked for the serial number on the SIM tray and he was told that it was an iPhone 3GS he had received. After arguing for a bit about what the phone really was, he finally just said that he was satisfied with his 3GS and would keep it.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

No he didn't. If he did everything he could in GOOD FAITH - the second he realized the error, he would have gone back to the store.

Clearly we have different views on what EVERYTHING means. Also GOOD FAITH.

19. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

20. stewartws, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  21. slimfinity macrumors member

I agree completely. You can try to justify the error on apples part any way you'd like. But deep down inside you know you are stealing. Whether that matters to you or not is your business, nobody elses. However, you are indeed stealing. Do the right thing and bring it to their attention.

22. slimfinity macrumors member

^^^^^ this too!!! Karma always comes back to bite me. Maybe someone will steal his iPhones and say "hey, I got two free iPhones". Bet he wouldn't like that.

23. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

as much as you sound like an honest person, it's hardly like stealing off a pauper is it?
    apple is a multi billion dollar organization, I would take it too.

24. slimfinity macrumors member

"What go around come around kid, what go around come around!" ~ B-Real

25. samcraig macrumors P6

Stealing is stealing. Whether you steal a dollar or a million. Whether the OTHER person can afford the loss or not. It's stealing.

Really? You're going to "justify" it as not stealing because Apple's a big company? Wow