Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warrmr

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Sorry, but you said that the card which had a suspicious activity flag on it was your only source of funds.

Then you said you ran to the ATM and withdrew money ... which, regardless, requires you to use your bank card and pin. So how did you manage to use your card to withdraw at an ATM when the card, which was your only source of funds, was suspended due to a fraud flag?

Was there a gap of a day or so while this was sorted between you or the bank, because the way you've written that just makes the whole thing sound like nonsense.

This does happen where the bank freezes debit card transactions due to possible fraud use but you can still take money from the ATM.

I had this happen to me when i moved into my flat as i went from spending £800 a month to spending £1200 a month. The first i knew about it was when i went to buy my food shopping any my card was declined so i did the same went and got cash from the ATM and payed for it with cash. I did this for 2 weeks before i got round to calling the bank and saying WTF.

As for the iPhone for free issue. I would say dont spend anything on that card as they will relaise the mistake and pull the balance of it soon. I know banks do this if they make a mistaken deposit and you spend it you will find yourself out of pocket. But if you report it and it is not rectifyed within X days then i believe the money is yours.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Sorry bro, you're just reading too far into all this because you want to see me go down in flames. If anyone has ever been to the Cerritos Mall, you'd know there's a BofA right across the parking lot from the entrance where the Apple store is. When I got the hold put on my card, the employee helping me said that my only other option was to go across the parking lot while they held my phone and to work everything out. Obviously, if my card had a hold on it, I wouldn't be able to withdraw money. I had to actually go into the bank and speak with a teller, explaining the situation (my phone had died, as I said). They removed the hold and were able to withdraw money.

Also, doubt anyone will notice, but if a mod could please close this thread I'd appreciate it. It's getting a little bit out of hand.

Poor baby. Perhaps you were expecting everyone to congratulate you when you started your OWN thread about your lack of ethics?

BTW - Question. If the bank teller cleared your account of the issue - why did you take out CASH instead of just going back to the Apple Store and using your card? Why the extra step?

yeah, you know what, I made the whole story up!!!111 I did it to impress all you faceless people that I'll never meet in real life, in the s'hittiest subforum of a forum that's filled with 13 year old meme-regurgitating fanboys. You totally got me :cool:

Keep the discussion going if you want, but insisting that I'm changing my story isn't going to change what happened. Believe it or not, what I said happened. I guess "going to the nearest ATM" is a cryptic message that somehow proves I scammed an Apple store...if that's what makes you happy, take it and run with it. I guess some people really don't have anything better to do than be an internet sleuth.

Actually - this is a GREAT thread and should prove worthy of linking to any time someone comes on here to brag about something and then cries when he doesn't get the reaction he wants. The hypocrisy here is amazing. I guess you had nothing better to do that to show the lack of integrity and ethics.

Maybe your bank put a hold on your account to illustrate that you're morally bankrupt.

SmackP

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Wonderful story of exploiting innocence, dishonesty, luck and jealously, bro.

They should make a movie on that!

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
Mine was practally free

I purchased my iPhone 4 at Radio Shack, the day after launch day. Being number 3 on the list, I was expecting to get it about a week or two later, but they got a surprise shipment on Friday.

Anyways, the day after the iPhone 4 Keynote, I went and traded in my iPhone 3GS in their buyback program. I got $209.81 on the gift card. On launch day, they gave a $25 accessory credit as well. So along with the small portion of that I didn't use with the gift card, my total price that I paid for my iPhone 4...

$0.40

Cheapest iPhone ever.... all legit too.

JohnMKeynes

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
As if Apple has any moral integrity to stand on. Original poster don't let all these brain dead people try to bring you down with their higher morality.

If this was a mom and pop shop I of course would think twice. But obviously Apple has clearly shown that they don't care about nothing else but their profits (like all firms). Enjoy your new iPhone.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
As if Apple has any moral integrity to stand on. Original poster don't let all these brain dead people try to bring you down with their higher morality.

If this was a mom and pop shop I of course would think twice. But obviously Apple has clearly shown that they don't care about nothing else but their profits (like all firms). Enjoy your new iPhone.

Whether or not Apple is a moral or ethical company is entirely irrelevant.

tchremc2

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Just curious what you would think if he did go back to the apple store to return the gift card. And lets say that apple did not catch this error. He returns the gift card, the manager tracks down who did the transaction, and that person is fired. The apple store was the employees only source of income. He was living check to check, and now cannot pay the mortgage on his home, nor provide food for his family. All because someone developed a conscience. Everything happens for a purpose.

In regards to a receipt for the phone, I thought everyone needed to provide an email address to apple when purchasing an iphone, and the receipt was mailed there.

Also, I know at least in California, apple changed is policy in taking cash for iphones and ipads http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/05/20/apple_repeals_no_cash_policy_gives_woman_free_ipad_for_her_troubles.html

So I am wondering why you couldn't just hand cash over for the phone.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
california
Just curious what you would think if he did go back to the apple store to return the gift card. And lets say that apple did not catch this error. He returns the gift card, the manager tracks down who did the transaction, and that person is fired. The apple store was the employees only source of income. He was living check to check, and now cannot pay the mortgage on his home, nor provide food for his family. All because someone developed a conscience. Everything happens for a purpose.

In regards to a receipt for the phone, I thought everyone needed to provide an email address to apple when purchasing an iphone, and the receipt was mailed there.

Also, I know at least in California, apple changed is policy in taking cash for iphones and ipads http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/05/20/apple_repeals_no_cash_policy_gives_woman_free_ipad_for_her_troubles.html

So I am wondering why you couldn't just hand cash over for the phone.

This is also true. As for the receipt...like I said the store was a MADHOUSE that day because not only was there a line of 2000+ people getting iPhones, but they made a big stink out of the store's grand opening, and they had a separate line for the weirdos who actually camped out to see the store instead of buying a phone. I was also deliriously tired and physically in pain from standing; literally all I cared about was going home. I took whatever receipt they gave me, made sure I had my phone and everything else, and got out. Only later at home did I make sense of everything. The receipt thing sucks because it's not for the phone but rather the gift card, but luckily besides the antenna my phone is perfect.

And yeah, I don't know their exact policy, but at that store on that day, all I know is cash was not an option to buy an iphone. Lots of other people in the store had to do the same thing I did. Who knows, maybe they got a bunch of money on their gift cards left over too.

nataliamck

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
This is also true. As for the receipt...like I said the store was a MADHOUSE that day because not only was there a line of 2000+ people getting iPhones, but they made a big stink out of the store's grand opening, and they had a separate line for the weirdos who actually camped out to see the store instead of buying a phone. I was also deliriously tired and physically in pain from standing; literally all I cared about was going home. I took whatever receipt they gave me, made sure I had my phone and everything else, and got out. Only later at home did I make sense of everything. The receipt thing sucks because it's not for the phone but rather the gift card, but luckily besides the antenna my phone is perfect.

And yeah, I don't know their exact policy, but at that store on that day, all I know is cash was not an option to buy an iphone. Lots of other people in the store had to do the same thing I did. Who knows, maybe they got a bunch of money on their gift cards left over too.

You don't need to defend yourself to these idiots. You got something free! Go and enjoy it. It's very rare that anyone gets anything free these days and these people are just jealous.

No-one gave any of you the power to judge anyone else on what is right and what is wrong, it's a matter of opinion and I would be doing exactly the same as the OP if I had gotten a free gift card.

JohnMKeynes

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010

Apple doesn't care about you. It's a firm seeking maximize profits. Even if it means using their market power to gouge customers with higher prices and overpriced cell plans on a spotty network. Don't forgot to also get your free bumper.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The fact that Apple is a corporation with nice profits has no bearing on whether or not the OP should act unethically.

It doesn't matter if a person steals $1 from a millionaire - stealing is stealing.

Is this a case of stealing? Debatable.

Justify the lack of ethics and morals all you want. And I, for one, am not jealous in the slightest of the OP. And I would bet that those chiming in against what he did aren't jealous either.

Another huge sign of immaturity is a blanket statement like that. Oh - clearly we're jealous because the OP got a free phone. Psychoanalysis EPIC fail. It couldn't possibly be because we see how obnoxious the OP is.

You want to act unethically and devoid of some morals and justify it as much as you want. That's sad in itself.

But it's 100 percent pathetic to come on to a message board to BRAG about it as if you'll get a bunch of people patting you on the back and then crying like a stick pig when you don't get that response. Asking the moderators to close this thread showed your incredible lack of maturity. And another example of how you refuse to take responsibility for your own actions.

Look at the thread titles. This thread was created because someone else got a free phone and you just had to have your OWN thread to brag. You couldn't post in someone else's.

Instead of accusing others of being jealous. Maybe the OP was jealous that someone was bragging about their free phone and he decided not only to share his story but that he needed his own thread.

Quite disgusting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.