Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
No, admins need access to the file system. Users - no matter if pro or not - do not need access to the file system.

For so many years, computer users have been forced to do unproductive sysadmin jobs like having to decide where to place files in the file system instead of doing their actual productive work. It has become so ingrained in people's thinking that they actually don't realize anymore that this is an admin job, and they actually think it's something a user should do to be "professional".

And it's actually such a dumb unproductive admin job that operating sytems can ge made smart enough to take it off your hands.

OSs and applications have been managing the majority of files for ages, but I don't think that's what the other poster was talking about .

In iOS access to the 'file system' is limited if it exists at all ; for productivity you need that access even if it's only for simple tasks, like managing folders and content, or even just having a fully functional finder .
Also some degree of customization is essential for any decent workflow, so at some point 'pro' users need to learn a thing or two about that tool they are depending on .

The beauty of OSX is indeed its ease of accessibilty for regular users, compared to that other OS .
It's more analogue - like people ;) .

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The new Surface Pro i5 no longer has a fan. In the new Surface Pro family, only the i7 model has a fan. As to benchmarks, the new Surface Pro i5 is slightly slower than iPad Pro, but at a very very similar level.

The biggest advantages of the new Surface Pro i5 (to iPad Pro) are its any-angle stand (a magical hinge) and its superior type cover.
The biggest shortage the new Surface Pro still carries is its uglier looking. Its weight is no longer of that much difference (from iPad Pro) as its predecessors.

Still off topic.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
I want to concentrate on managing my car's interaction with the traffic and conformance to street rules. And even these parts I am happy to give up. Self-driving cars cannot come soon enough. That must be a nightmare to you, but I am happy that this is not a majority opinion. I believe it will also be like that someday in the future, when people realize that the user-is-an-admin model we have now is really just a waste of time.

Wait until the police can remotely CONTROL your car to pull over. And probably for the wrong reasons. And then you'll want to prefer driving your way without the self-driving aspects. Sounds like you like to have your hands held by 'big brother' which the argument doesn't work if you're supporting iOS over a true desktop class operating system that has wider flexibility.

Having a desktop file system is far superior than just iOS's architecture. You need full control of where your files are at and having the ability to lock them down for privacy. Or a way to organize them into a folder. Or having some way to import/export with flexibility. I do professional graphic design/illustration work and prefer the manual aspects because I know my way around the desktop. But I also use the iPad Pro for specific purposes, not as the end result, as part of my creative process.

In my eyes, they are only productive when they use the talents that only they have, not a "skill" that anyone can be trained to have within a short amount of time.

Today, it is a required skill in the industry when it comes to knowing the software and operating system. In graphic design, it's NOT just talent but employers expect you to KNOW your way around the software and file architecture. If you know, for example, 3D modelling, that's a skill not talent. Talent is one thing, but skill is another that must be learned or acquired. Or coding, as another example. You need to know that if you want to stay competitive in the field. Same thing with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Autodesk CAD, Mudbox, Clip Studio Paint, and so on.

It's especially true when the industry continues to evolve with more powerful applications and hardware, the professionals have to keep up with their craft and catch up. You put in the time to learn the application, not the easy way out.

That line of thinking of simplicity usually falls into Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" theme of burning books and not thinking critically, while being guided by the authority that prefers society not to think but to 'get moving' without questioning.
[doublepost=1496069015][/doublepost]
Sometimes, the tech enables the artist. Let's see him try to draw the same picture on a surface laptop.

Bad argument there and reeks of a$$ kissery to Apple.

Both the Surface Pro and iPad Pro can do the same thing. Even, a professional with a Wacom digitizer tablet can do that too. As a creative professional myself, I can say iPad Pro is nice but it is NOT superior. It does get the job done but it's not everything it's cracked up to be. While the Pencil is nice, it does have some problems that Apple needs to address...BADLY. It needs a digital eraser like the Wacom stylus ( I have extensive experience with this so I know what I'm talking about ) and better Bluetooth connectivity without having to stick it in the iPad's "rear" every time for the BT to connect.

They also need to make the Pencil less smooth on the surface and add a textured grip so it feels more comfortable without the slippage. And yes, I'm acutely aware of Pencil sheathes sold in the third party market that allow comfortable gripping. I know of some artists who use a basic rubber or foam pencil grip from office supply stores and attach it to the Pencil. It actually works.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, it's almost like the iPad has some art apps that let you draw stuff. This is front page news how?

this is an Apple focused site not CNN so that's one reason why its front page news. It's about Apple stuff and the editors of the site think it's cool. its their call what gets top billing since its their site

Also it's 'news' because folks still say that the iPad is a toy and mostly for consumption and not even a Pro can do 'real professional art'. this might not be the most sophisticated of art but it was good enough for a major magazine like the New Yorkers so a blog like MR is going to point it out.
[doublepost=1496105613][/doublepost]
What is the app of choice for these types of endeavors?

i know a lot of folks that use Procreate. seems fairly robust and only costs like $5-10 dollars
[doublepost=1496105695][/doublepost]
Wasn't there "New Yorker" cover done on iPhone (Brushes(?) in the "early" days … ?
[right, I can search the web for it, but anyhow …]

edit: Yes, Brushes was a real hit : )
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/25/business/media/25yorker.html

Same artist
[doublepost=1496105792][/doublepost]
Aaaand it looks kind of amateur. Sorry.

lets see you post some art. show us the expertise that grants you the call to judge others

Reactions: I7guy

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
OSs and applications have been managing the majority of files for ages, but I don't think that's what the other poster was talking about .

In iOS access to the 'file system' is limited if it exists at all ; for productivity you need that access even if it's only for simple tasks, like managing folders and content, or even just having a fully functional finder .
Also some degree of customization is essential for any decent workflow, so at some point 'pro' users need to learn a thing or two about that tool they are depending on .

The beauty of OSX is indeed its ease of accessibilty for regular users, compared to that other OS .
It's more analogue - like people ;) .

What people think as "file system" is already an abstraction from physical storage.
Nobody really need a direct access to physical storage in this day in age.
You want to have access to your docs no matter where they are; nobody wants to really manage where in those repository the files are.

The best thing is to add storage pools, rented, owned, local, cloud, whatever to your configuration (mem=128G,local physical 128G, local Net (all your storage endpoints), cloud (all your remote storage endpoints), say what kind of min specs you expect from your various level of storage (mem=32G, local physical=64G, local net=128G, cloud quick=1TB, cloud off line=10TB). Finally, define backup/replication policies (offsite, onsite, when to backup, sync), or just let the system define it for you with currently stated storage locations.

Then add a view on this abstracted storage, a "folder", with a name, ownership, whatever and let it rip.

You see a container, which is a view of data which may or may not be stored on your physical device depending on current network speed and requirements.

Knowing where the files are is not the way to go and is not the way out.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
What people think as "file system" is already an abstraction from physical storage.
Nobody really need a direct access to physical storage in this day in age.
You want to have access to your docs no matter where they are; nobody wants to really manage where in those repository the files are.

The best thing is to add storage pools, rented, owned, local, cloud, whatever to your configuration (mem=128G,local physical 128G, local Net (all your storage endpoints), cloud (all your remote storage endpoints), say what kind of min specs you expect from your various level of storage (mem=32G, local physical=64G, local net=128G, cloud quick=1TB, cloud off line=10TB). Finally, define backup/replication policies (offsite, onsite, when to backup, sync), or just let the system define it for you with currently stated storage locations.

Then add a view on this abstracted storage, a "folder", with a name, ownership, whatever and let it rip.

You see a container, which is a view of data which may or may not be stored on your physical device depending on current network speed and requirements.

Knowing where the files are is not the way to go and is not the way out.
Every file system provides just that level of abstraction and a damn good one. If you are storing data on your tablet, file system is exactly what you need. Of course, one could always try to invent the wheel...

Darrin Bell

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2003
Los Angeles
Looks nice. The iPad is the perfect device to replace a sketchpad. It is light, portable, and has apps that simulate drawing on paper very accurately. The 4:3 screen ratio is much more accommodating for capturing the artwork than a 16:9 device or even the Surface's 16:10.

Having said that, it doesn't take a powerful device to do sketches and this reflects much more on the iPad's portability and form factor than on its capabilities. He is replicating a process that was normally done on paper using a few pencils. An active digitizer is needed for precision, but beyond that all the credit goes to the talent of the artist.

An active digitizer isn't needed. You should see the results the iPad Pro can give you using ProCreate. You could create anything from a simple sketch using its pencil tools (as this artist seems to have done), to something indistinguishable from Cintiq-work using the other brushes. Check out this artwork created on the iPad Pro:
https://forums.procreate.art/index.php?topic=2049.0

In my own workflow, it's pretty much supplanted my Cintiq Companion. It's far more mobile, it's more responsive, and the iPad Pro doesn't overheat. If it were capable of outputting CMYK files and if Procreate had a Warp tool that could rival Photoshop's, I wouldn't need to use my Mac or my Cintiq at all. But it's easy to export a layered PSD file to my Mac to finish up work that was mostly done on the iPad Pro.

Last edited:

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Every file system provides just that level of abstraction and a damn good one. If you are storing data on your tablet, file system is exactly what you need. Of course, one could always try to invent the wheel...

Its an abstraction of physical storage, not storage, that's my whole point; can you please READ what people write next time. Why the hell would you can if its stored locally unless your going camping in Alaska, and even then you could bring another storage device, disk with WIFI for example, and if your first knows the file's there, why even move it localy unless your doing NLE video editing in the Alaska wilderness, that's not really needed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.