Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This year's new Apple Watch Ultra will be lighter than the current model, according to a rumor posted on Chinese social media site Weibo.

apple-watch-ultra-1-1.jpg

The user, known as "Setsuna Digital" or "Instant Digital," claims that this year's new Apple Watch Ultra will have a reduced weight compared to its predecessor. The current model weighs 61.3 grams, substantially more than the 32 grams of the 41mm aluminum Apple Watch Series 8.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently said that the second-generation Apple Watch Ultra will feature 3D-printed mechanical parts. The components could include the Digital Crown, Side Button, and Action Button, as these are the only mechanical parts of the Apple Watch Ultra. These titanium parts are currently CNC machined. It is unclear whether the 3D printing technology will assist Apple in reducing the weight of the Apple Watch Ultra, but it is expected to improve production time and reduce costs.

Setsuna Digital has provided accurate insights into Apple's plans in the past, such as their accurate claim that Apple would make the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus available in a new Yellow color option in the spring.

Apple is widely rumored to be planning to launch the second-generation Apple Watch Ultra alongside the Apple Watch Series 9 models later this year, but little is known about what upgrades the devices may feature other than a new chip based on the A15 Bionic.

Article Link: This Year's New Apple Watch Ultra Will Be Lighter, Claims Rumor

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Not a fair comparison against the smaller Aluminium version considering the size and material difference.

Apple Watch Series 8 aluminium
Weight: 32.0g (41mm), 38.8g (45mm)

Apple Watch Series 8 stainless steel
Weight: 42.3g (41mm), 52.5g (45mm)

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
My desperate (and perhaps unrealistic) hope is that they release a smaller version. I have too many watch straps for the smaller case to make the ultra an option I'm willing to consider at the moment!
And why can't you use those watch bands you have on the ultra?

Reactions: SFjohn

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hopefully they will actually increase the screen size this time instead of increasing the case size and saying it's an increase in screen size.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
If it gets lighter, it will get thinner, because they won‘t use a different (lighter) enclosure material. This may be made possible by the new chip using less energy so a smaller battery might be used. Sounds good to me as the thickness is about the only thing (slightly) bothering me about the Ultra.

rubaxter

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Just make the battery smaller and repurpose the knob to act as a generator crank!

Like all serious Conspicuous Consumption Toys, it doesn't need to actually be on, either, so just print a stick-on plastic overlay that makes it look like it is.

anthogag

Suspended
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
I have Watch Ultra. A great device and still lighter than normal watches with stainless cases.

A lighter Ultra would be excellent.

How about thinner, larger screen, and lighter 👍👍👍

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Honestly my hope is that they lose all of the orange accents. I have a Series 4 that is showing its age and would love to upgrade to this, but just can't with the orange. Don't really care as much about the weight.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
This.

A larger display in the same form factor by reducing the bezels would make me upgrade for sure.

The bezels protect the screen, though. Reduce them much and it'll reduce it.

I've absolutely trashed (scratched) the screen on my 6 from rock climbing and bouldering. The ultra should take care of that, when I finally buy one.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I have 0 issues with the size and weight of the Ultra. I got used to it pretty quickly, and have no problem with wearing it at night to track my sleep. If the next Ultra is lighter or even smaller, I would only trade in to get another Ultra first generation so that I can make sure this one have AppleCare+ which I thought I already had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.