Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you leaving AT&T (unlimited data) for Verizon?

• Yes, Verizon is worth losing unlimited data.

Votes: 25 18.0%
  • No, I want to keep unlimited data.

Votes: 92 66.2%
  • Other, please explain below.

Votes: 22 15.8%

• Total voters

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Why are you such a corporate apologist? I feel entitled to an upgrade because they have been giving me one, every year, for the past 5 years. The time has now come that they are not going to give me one. Shouldn't I include that in my decision making process? Or should I continue at AT&T because of how much they love me?

AT&T's service is bad here in New York. In the past, I have stayed because the cost of leaving was WAY higher than the cost of staying every time a new phone came out. Now it isn't. So bye, AT&T. What kind of person in my situation would make a different decision? A sucker maybe. AT&T doesn't make their business decisions with my best interests in mind. Why should I make my decisions with their best interests in mind?

Hey I can understand the coverage part, whatever works better in your home area.
I was just talking about the yearly upgrade that you feel entitled to that they don't offer any more. It's not like you will get it elsewhere either.
Have fun paying more at Verizon:D

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Hey I can understand the coverage part, whatever works better in your home area.
I was just talking about the yearly upgrade that you feel entitled to that they don't offer any more. It's not like you will get it elsewhere either.

True.

I left ATT to go to Straight Talk. My motive was to cut down on my monthly bill.
Success, went in half.

I don't like that they changed the yearly upgrades, but as you said. You're not going to get it elsewhere, so no gain to this move other then voicing your opinion I guess.

maverikv

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008

Whatever you need to believe. My bill will be exactly the same. I'll have 6GB of data total which is BETTER than unlimited at AT&T because my wife only uses 1GB and I can use her slack instead of getting throttled at 3GB. We can tether for free. We can use facetime. We'll have unlimited voice calls instead of 700 min. But for serious, AT&T is awesome.

Have fun at AT&T with your la . . . -CALL FAILED-

Aug 4, 2012
This should say something about plans...

I have unlimited data and FAN acct with at&t in Charlotte NC, reception here SUCKS bad but I just can't give up the above.

elmorage

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
As long as I can retain my unlimited plan, I will stay with AT&T

This makes no sense to me at all. If you stay with att for reception, or price, or because you like the color blue better than red I understand, but to stay for unlimited data that you can't use is crazy.

What good is unlimited data if you can only use 3GB of it? Once they hit the throttle switch try and stream a movie from netflix, or use pandora, or check an email, or load a picture from facebook, or pull up an nfl boxscore to check your fantasy football team. You can't do any of those things with the data reduced to a trickle.

My speedtest numbers for 3g are usually 3.0-3.75 Mbps, after the throttle they dropped to .08, .05, and .02. That isn't reducing speeds it is disabling data.

Stankonia

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
Denver, CO
I'm planning on jumping to Verizon. I hate to give up my unlimited data, but I hardly get to use it since the signal at my office is somehow incredibly bad despite the rest of my town being really good.

When I started my job I chalked it up to the building screwing with signals, but after talking to several coworkers who have iPhones on Verizon who have excellent signals, I guess my office is just in a small dead zone for AT&T.

It's a shame since my work signal is my only complaint about my service. On the bright side, Verizon has LTE in my area while AT&T doesn't, so maybe that'll make the switch worth it.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
unlimited with 5GB of lte data for $30 or in my case $25 is a far better deal than any of the data share plans on verizon or at&t. Even the individual plans on at&t.

sojay

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
Hesitating

I have the unlimited plan with AT&T, but plan to switch. I am hesitating, though. I would have stayed if their coverage was better and their signal stronger. I have to step outside of my house to make a call with AT&T but get clear signal inside w Verizon.

I have Verizon plans for LTE iPad and LTE Mifi 10GB each and have to juggle data usage every month when I get close. Unlimited LTE sure would be nice, especially since where I live it's the only broadband Internet available. The upgrade price is for some reason much cheaper with Verizon than AT&T.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
How do we know this? I keep hearing people talk about it but NO ONE seems to actually be posting their data history or pointing to any kind of press release. I honestly don't trust reps at company owned stores because they don't know anything more then the public half the time when it comes to policy. Can anyone post any hard proof that it's 5Gig on LTE now instead of 3Gig before being slowed? Has anyone been throttled? Is it more useable? 200 to 300kbits would be much more useable past that limit instead of like 20kbps.

I have a Galaxy S3 and I have gone over 3 gb's of data and soon as I hit 5 I got throttled..on my iPhone I get throttled after 3 gb's.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
I meant if I use 3gb of data now on AT&T 3G what would that translate to when I have LTE? I would assume the increased speeds would cause me to use more.

It won't make any difference except you'll receive your data faster. If that translates to you using even more data, well, then that's a decision for you to make.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Theres no right answer to this question. Different carriers are faster in different states. Some people need more data others do not. There are so many variables in answering this question that just observing the answers in a poll doesn't benefit anyone

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
Theres no right answer to this question. Different carriers are faster in different states. Some people need more data others do not. There are so many variables in answering this question that just observing the answers in a poll doesn't benefit anyone

Fair enough. I guess my real question was what are you doing if both carriers that have LTE in your area.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
Do you think they will address the data plans today? Esp if you are grandfathered in?

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Do you think they will address the data plans today? Esp if you are grandfathered in?

That's a carrier issue.

EDIT: Maybe you were referring to carriers. I doubt they'll address it today. They usually take their time with announcements like that. We probably won't hear anything about that until next week.

christyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Salt Lake
Leaving for Verizon, but mostly due to the fact that my husband left for verizon earlier this year. It just makes more sense to jump on an everything plan there as we moved out of state and Verizon just has much better coverage.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Who's not honoring their contract? I'm buying it out.

My ETF per line is $215 and the phone is $199. If I stay at AT&T it's a total of $449 per phone with the $250 charge (in my case $898 total). If I pay the ETF and switch its $414 per phone (in my case $828 total). That's a $70 difference, or approximately 18% of the subsidized price of the phone. Why would I effectively pay that difference to AT&T, especially considering their terribad service?
Wouldn't it be cheaper for AT&T, I'm not eligible on my one line to upgrade but I can get the new iPhone for $250 plus a $35 fee. I don't have to pay the ETF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.