iPad Pro Thoughts on apple pencil (from someone who owns one).

Discussion in 'iPad' started by uhslax24, Nov 15, 2015.

1. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

I was extremely fortunate to have gotten my hands on an Apple Pencil on Nov. 12th. No trick or secret, I was just one of the many people who experienced the day one 'glitch' in Apple's inventory system the day before.

The next day, I got that email for both the pencil and my smart keyboard.

After using the pencil for the past couple of days (and having some basic experience with other stylus-enabled devices), I can say that from an input perspective, this is the real deal.

It's what you expect from Apple after all. It just works. Pressure and angular sensitivity are on point. Latency is nearly indistinguishable. And for someone using this primarily for note taking and minimal sketching (I'm a marketing director working with a lot of print and web media), it's been well worth the $99 price tag.

Here's my sole complaint so far: It's nice while using it, its awkward when you're not.

It's a slick little pen with no means of securing to the iPad Pro (which, admittedly, I don't mind). However, I can't find a great way to carry it with me. It's just slightly too long to comfortably fit in my pocket (and I worry about breaking the tip when I sit), and this morning it slid stealthily out of my jacket pocket. When I'm at my desk, it sits still on the flat surface or even along the tip row of the smart keyboard, but when I'm on the go, I haven't quite figured it out.

A clip would have been nice, but that really messes with the aesthetics. Plus, have you ever used a pen with a clip you really like and don't fear will wear or break over time?

Overall, I really like it. And I feel really luck to have mine. Once it's more widely available, I may see about picking up another (if two or more can pair) to keep one in the office and one in my crumpler messenger where i stow the pro when I'm on the move.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg FullSizeRender 3.jpg FullSizeRender 4.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Interesting. It looks about the same circumference, but longer than my fancy mechanical pencil. I wonder how it will fit in the pen slots in my bag.

3. Dave245 macrumors 601

Thank you for the review/opinion. I ordered a Apple Pencil with my iPad Pro, the iPad arrived but I've got to wait 1-2 weeks for the Pencil. This review makes me excited to use the Apple Pencil, really looking forward to using it especially on Precreate and the Adobe apps.

4. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

That writing sample just looks unreal to me; cannot wait to get mine.

5. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

actually, the bag is a problem for me . But it does close.

[​IMG]

6. flylice macrumors newbie

flylice

While waiting for my smart keyboard and pencil I stumbled on this SwitchEasy case project on Indiegogo. Its a simple back case which has a pencil holder and serves as a sketching stand. They promise an early December shipment which coincides my Apple delivery. Just ordered one so will let you guys know if it works out.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I bought one of these and will stick it on the top rear of my silicone case. So when I'm holding the iPP in portrait, it'll be at the top. And when propped up for typing, it'll be on the left hand side.

Even with the Smart Cover flipped back. It won't be in the way and will hold the Pencil nicely. Had one for my SP3.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RNRYN4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

8. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

Ooh, thanks! I might have to order this.

I've used their Cover Buddy back cover (in colors to match my Smart Cover) on three of my iPads as they made them much less slithery and provided some corner protection. My experience is that they are well engineered in terms of fit and placement of cut-outs.

9. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

Another good solution.
    Those Leuchtturm pen loops are good quality and popular in the fountain pen - paper notebook community.

10. lindafus macrumors member

lindafus

11. flylice macrumors newbie

flylice

Hey anyone know if the pencil cap comes off easily? I don't think the pencil loop would work so well if the cap comes off.

12. Gary1986 macrumors regular

Gary1986

Man that writing looks good. I wish  made the regular iPads compatible. I would love to write with this on my iPad Air 2 in Penultimate.

13. uhslax24 thread starter macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Cap hasn't come off by mistake yet. Not hard to pull off, but attached with a magnet.

My concern with the loop is that there isn't anything to "catch" and keep it from sliding out. It's a slick plastic.

14. goomba478 macrumors regular

I just tried the Apple Pencil today and I am STUNNED by how good it is. I am an amateur/hobbyist illustrator, comic artist and and animator and I've never truly had a stylus that I loved. I've had a Wacom Intuos 3, Intuos 4 and even a Cintiq 12" and nothing comes close to the lag-free feeling the Apple pencil has. Shading also feels so natural and my 4 year old son was nearly as wowed as I was. Drawing, sketching and note taking felt flawless. The only thing Apple did wrong: not making them available after months of anticipation. This is the KILLER drawing tool (and yes it feels much nicer to me than the Surface Pen...).

15. Dave245 macrumors 601

Please stop, I'm still waiting for mine ;)

16. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Thanks for posting. While I am beside myself miserable waiting for the Pencil, it's great to read about other amateur artists having success with the Pencil. I've used Intuos 2, Bamboo, Surface Pro, Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus (iOS), Pencil 53, etc all for sketching over the years and it'll be wonderful to finally break free and have proper sketching / pressure sensitivity in an iPad.

17. Gary1986 macrumors regular

Gary1986

Anyone think  will eventually allow it to work on the iPad Air 2? Would be nice for simply taking notes.

18. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Nope for any backward compatibility. It's a blend of the Pencil and the screen (digitizer) technology that allows Pencil to work that way. I'm hoping for an Air 3 with Pencil support for that sweet spot of pressure sensitive fine-tipped stylus plus portability. :)

19. OCDMacGeek macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

I am looking for something just like this, but I'm wondering how the Pencil could stay in that loop since it doesn't have a clip? How would that work?

20. NDM2015 macrumors newbie

To not loose the pencil or to attach it nicely to the ipad, I found this product on the web and ordered it. I was really surprised to find a such easy and proper solution. Doesnt add bulk or anything.

http://www.moxiware.com/products/apple-pencil-magnet

21. goomba478 macrumors regular

You're welcome ^_^. I do have a feeling that the iPad Air 3 will work with the Pencil (why not since some people say the Pro is too big for their tastes) but I'm sticking with the Pro. I have two pencils preordered (one from Apple and one From Staples) and AT&T is supposedly trying to hold one for me, but it's still a big mystery if I'll even get one before Christmas. It's torture :(.

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This looks great. Just ordered a black sleeve.

23. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I 100% agree with the OP review. The pencil is perfect (I use it for 99% of surfing, I hardly touch the scrren with my finger) BUT, I think apple dropped the ball on how to store/carry the pencil.

I also ordered the Amazon stick on pen holder.

24. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Pencil worked pretty well when I tried it at Apple store but being able to use it, latency and palm rejection vary per app. Issues I see are for $99 Apple should've made it metal to match the iPP instead of plastic, it's too long for many shoulder/messenger bags, short ~4 day battery life, lacks eraser end and functional button(s).