Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
But, the absolute truth is that Dunkin Donuts' coffee has always been very respectable and is far superior to the better known Starbucks coffee.

Couldn't disagree more, I'll take a Pike's Place or Cafe Verona every single time over DD. YMMV, coffee is super subjective and people like what they like. I will say that Starbucks seems to be going down hill as well and the daily offered Pike's Place at times tastes burned. Back in the day certain Starbucks stores had these cool machines called Clover, that could make single, one off, cups and they would have a selection of 10-20 different roasts. I really enjoyed that but sadly they were phased out.

I always look for the nearest Dunkin' for my morning coffee fix, as the coffee has remained consistently good over the years.

I would have agreed with DD about 15 years ago but lately? Every time I "go there in a pinch" I am reminded very quickly why I don't frequent them.

For just-off-the-interstate coffee, Mickey D's is a decent alternative.

Agreed, McD's is probably the most consistent road coffee.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I avoid DD like the plague. I focused a lot my posts on their poor donuts, but their coffee has gotten so bad, its literally just brown bean water at this point. No taste, not body, just weak colored water.

I'm not a coffee snob, and I'm no fan of starbucks, i think their coffee is burnt, but its head and shoulders better then DD. Maybe its a regional thing and other locations are better buy my local shop, there's not one thing being sold that is worth the money.

Funny enough there's a small local coffee shop in my town, it has weird hours (opens at 8:00 and closes at 2:00), their food and pastries are expensive (in the scheme of things) yet there are huge lines. There's two Dunkin Donuts near by, one is not busy at all, no lines (no drive through), you can walk up and get what you want, regardless of the time of day.

The other has a drive through and that's busy, mostly because its for early morning commuters, that the local shop doesn't even try to cater too.
This has not been my experience with respect to their coffee but if Dunkin doesn't do it for you, I agree with @TechRunner and would opt for McDonald's coffee, which is fine when traveling. Your analysis of Starbuck is spot on -- over roasted -- but it's nowhere near as good as Dunkin or McDonlald's IMHO.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Couldn't disagree more, I'll take a Pike's Place or Cafe Verona every single time over DD. YMMV, coffee is super subjective and people like what they like. I will say that Starbucks seems to be going down hill as well and the daily offered Pike's Place at times tastes burned. Back in the day certain Starbucks stores had these cool machines called Clover, that could make single, one off, cups and they would have a selection of 10-20 different roasts. I really enjoyed that but sadly they were phased out.

View attachment 2074235

I would have agreed with DD about 15 years ago but lately? Every time I "go there in a pinch" I am reminded very quickly why I don't frequent them.

Agreed, McD's is probably the most consistent road coffee.
I never heard of Pike's Peak or Cafe Verona. I will keep an eye out. The problem with Starbucks coffee is not in the preparation but in the roast. I do order the "blonde" coffee when I go there, which is very infrequently.

I have to admit that I do not really frequent Dunkin Donuts much since the pandemic began -- and probably even before. Years ago I would go there every single morning on my way to work but I no longer have that commute. I now just make my own coffee and use a travel mug. So, yes, it is possible that my view/experience is somewhat outdated.

Last edited:
Reactions: icanhazmac

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I never heard of Pike's Peak or Cafe Verona. I will keep on eye out. The problem with Starbucks coffee is not in the preparation but in the roast. I do order the "blonde" coffee when I go there, which is very infrequently.

I have to admit that I do not really frequent Dunkin Donuts much since the pandemic began -- and probably even before. Years ago I would go there every single morning on my way to work but I no longer have that commute. I now just make my own coffee and use a travel mug. So, yes, it is possible that my view/experience is somewhat outdated.

Pike's is their daily medium roast (blonde is their daily light roast) and I believe one of their first offerings, again it seems with growth comes an inevitible decline and sadly I think they are experiencing that now. Cafe Verona is a dark blend they offer on rotation and is usually great with cream and a hint of sugar.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Pike's is their daily medium roast (blonde is their daily light roast) and I believe one of their first offerings, again it seems with growth comes an inevitible decline and sadly I think they are experiencing that now. Cafe Verona is a dark blend they offer on rotation and is usually great with cream and a hint of sugar.
👍👍 Thanks. Good to know. LOL -- I think you can tell I am not a frequent Starbucks patron but I give will these a try. I do love coffee.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Some (lengthy) thoughts about the other side of chain restaurants…the Morton’s, Capital Grille, Eddie V’s, Del Frisco’s, McCormick & Schmick’s, Smith & Wollensky, and so on. I don’t care for the format of the first 3 of these where you select a hunk of protein, then have another selection of very expensive vegetable add-ons in huge serving portions. Just a waste of food and money to me. We do eat out a couple of times a week and mix it up with what euphemistically is called fine dining alternating with medium-priced still-good dining. And we’re within a reasonable drive to many non-chain restaurants in both categories so for us chain dining has fallen by the wayside, even the ones I mentioned above and their ilk. But our friends and we do infrequently enjoy the still-high quality and service of these chains with my only disappointment being the rapidly escalating prices. And I do mean rapidly.

One clue to a restaurant’s quality, for me, is how they make and present cocktails. My favored choice is a dry vodka martini, straight-up, with olive(s). This should arrive at the table bitingly cold, in a frosted glass, strong, large, with one or more large Spanish Queen olives, possibly stuffed, and include my requested call brand vodka (Ketel 1). That’s typically a $15-$25 drink and I expect it to be amazing. Capital Grille for example brings a glass, sometimes frosty cold sometimes not, and a steel shaker with ice and the booze inside. The server at tableside then shakes the drink, pours a dose, then leaves the rest. While this sounds decent, by the time the drink reaches the table, it has been watered down by standing with the ice, has lost any bite, may or may not fit the glass, sprays condensation from the shaker everywhere, and wastes a lot of time simply for show. And finishing whatever is left in the shaker yields a very bland watered-down and warmer drink. Yes, drinks in a filled proper martini glass are much harder to carry on a tray, but it results in a far preferable drinking experience…for me. And since I’m paying it really is all about me. I also look to see if the wait staff makes the drinks or if they come from a bartender behind a bar (regulated by State laws in some places). Not always but usually bartender-made drinks are far superior to those made by wait staff.

At the other end of the meal, I also consider the beverage I have with dessert, usually regular coffee. If I see banks of Bunn or equivalent coffeemakers, I’ll skip the much-desired coffee and have an espresso from my machine at home.

Latest annoying trick: I’ve now seen a few restaurants devote a portion of the front page of the menu pleading for additional tips for the kitchen staff, you know, the people who actually are responsible for the food you eat. At payment time, the payment invoice includes the typical charge and tax plus a line for the wait staff gratuity and another line for kitchen staff gratuity both of the latter with suggestions STARTING at 20%.

Some restaurants now equip their servers with iPad-like devices that can completely and wirelessly check you out at the table. In doing this, they hold the tablet in your face showing a screen with recommended tip levels (usually No Tip, 20%, 25%, 30%, Other), ask you to tap on your choice (20% is always pre-selected) after which the transaction completes and a receipt is emailed to you. In my case, I always tap “No Tip” much to the surprise and disappointment of the server, but then explain I always leave cash tips and then I do so.

All that coupled with escalating prices, even if the quality remains high, demonstrates changing times from the Dunkin’ (as it is now branded in the US) to the Del Frisco’s. So goes dining out today. YMMV.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I avoid DD like the plague. I focused a lot my posts on their poor donuts, but their coffee has gotten so bad, its literally just brown bean water at this point. No taste, not body, just weak colored water.

I'm not a coffee snob, and I'm no fan of starbucks, i think their coffee is burnt, but its head and shoulders better then DD. Maybe its a regional thing and other locations are better buy my local shop, there's not one thing being sold that is worth the money.

Funny enough there's a small local coffee shop in my town, it has weird hours (opens at 8:00 and closes at 2:00), their food and pastries are expensive (in the scheme of things) yet there are huge lines. There's two Dunkin Donuts near by, one is not busy at all, no lines (no drive through), you can walk up and get what you want, regardless of the time of day.

The other has a drive through and that's busy, mostly because its for early morning commuters, that the local shop doesn't even try to cater too.

I don't get their coffee anymore either, but I do like their cold brews. Tasty stuff. I do get their coffee for the house though as some of their flavored coffee, I know this could be sacrilegious in some circles, are freaking delicious. While, I am not a high end coffee snob, I do like my coffee and espresso's as I make both at the home and have spent a fair amount of money on my systems. But that is for the other thread lol... There are folks who spend over 6k on theirs... yikes!

But the standard DD coffee at home is good! At the location, been to two locations on the west coast, and both have been rather bland.

Last edited:
Reactions: maflynn

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I like the DD cold brew and their teas a lot. I typically get an unsweet iced tea these days though. I wonder if it's the shop near you because ours are always busy within a 20 mile radius. They are usually as busy as Starbucks, which I never liked either. Their coffee is not burnt; it's over-roasted (per them). :D

Fun fact: the beans for the DD brick and mortar stores are not roasted by the same company that roasts it to be sold at grocery stores.

As for various chain restaurants, I'll stop if I need something quick on the go, but that's rare. I like to visit the local diners and we have some great ones.

Their cold brews are delicious IMHO. That would make sense re: the coffee brewed at home is that much better!

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
It's awfully, awfully hard to mess up cold brew. Making a good regular iced coffee is much harder to pull off, but does yield a more complex and flavorful drink. I stick with cold brew at Dunkin' or other places I don't trust so much.

If I get a brewed coffee at a Starbucks, I try to pick the lightest roast they have available. Generally I seek out local cafes, though.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
It's awfully, awfully hard to mess up cold brew. Making a good regular iced coffee is much harder to pull off, but does yield a more complex and flavorful drink. I stick with cold brew at Dunkin' or other places I don't trust so much.

If I get a brewed coffee at a Starbucks, I try to pick the lightest roast they have available. Generally I seek out local cafes, though.
I haven't bought a Starbucks coffee in sometime, unless you count the white chocolate mocho's with no whip! HA. But I brew their stuff at home, their Veranda Blend is outstanding as well as the espresso blend. I also like the Morning Joe and I can't forget about their holiday blends. Last years blend was just ok... but the prior years were tasty!

Sorry, didn't mean to derail this thread!

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Dunkin Donuts arrived here in Switzerland last year. Never tried them, never will. Even the mass-produced pain au chocolat > cruddy donuts.
A coworker of mine has a kid that worked at one. She said the donuts arrive frozen and they just put the icing on them.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
A coworker of mine has a kid that worked at one. She said the donuts arrive frozen and they just put the icing on them.

I think that is what they do in the states also, as I know they don't make them at the actual shop. I like their donuts, but if you want a donut, we have so many local shops that put out a better product, it is really sad when you compare the two. But for some reason, the Boston Creme Pie donut, to me, is really good. I don't care how many miles they chuck that thing in a freezer for!

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I think that is what they do in the states also, as I know they don't make them at the actual shop. I like their donuts, but if you want a donut, we have so many local shops that put out a better product, it is really sad when you compare the two. But for some reason, the Boston Creme Pie donut, to me, is really good. I don't care how many miles they chuck that thing in a freezer for!
If I see a "hot donuts" sign lit up at a Krispy Kreme I'm pulling in!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
If I see a "hot donuts" sign lit up at a Krispy Kreme I'm pulling in!
I used to, but that too has gone down hill. At least the one by me. Never have dark roast, generally waiting for them to brew more regular roast. Rare to get a freebie like pre-COVID (I'd buy two aa d get the third as a handout). And the one close to me is real hit/miss on honoring deals from the app.

Got a gourmet donut place by the house and a mom and pop I occasionally pass by have been getting the business.

Reactions: MisterSavage

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I used to, but that too has gone down hill. At least the one by me. Never have dark roast, generally waiting for them to brew more regular roast. Rare to get a freebie like pre-COVID (I'd buy two aa d get the third as a handout). And the one close to me is real hit/miss on honoring deals from the app.

Got a gourmet donut place by the house and a mom and pop I occasionally pass by have been getting the business.

We have a gourmet donut place a few cities over from us and boy, while they are expensive, the donuts are insane. They have a bacon maple bar that is to die for. It has a real slice of bacon on the top of it, melted into the maple. Amazing.

I mentioned earlier, the mom and pop shops by my house are amazing. Their donuts are always fresh and are always tasty. It even seems like the ones at the end of the day, the ones by me usually close around 2ish, also seem fresh even though they have probably been in the case since the morning.

• Love
Reactions: decafjava

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Some (lengthy) thoughts about the other side of chain restaurants…the Morton’s, Capital Grille, Eddie V’s, Del Frisco’s, McCormick & Schmick’s, Smith & Wollensky, and so on.

I prefer Ruth's Chris to all the above. It seems to be the most consistent. Going to one Friday evening.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I ALWAYS go by the mantra, that I avoid empty restaurants. They're empty for a reason and that reason typically isn't good. I'm finding that these chains tend to be mostly empty, but locally owned are still very busy.
Or, as Yogi Berra said, "Nobody goes there any more. It's too crowded."
Yeah, not the same, just popped into my head.

Reactions: maflynn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The chains have been going down hill even before pre-COVID.

A friend who is a GM for the company that owns Gordon Biersch et al mentioned some years back that their entire menu at his brand was made up of ingredients off the back of the Sysco truck and all those ingredients need to be used in at least three different dishes. So all dishes are created via a "pick one from column a, column b..." recipe.

Since COVID, restaurants are having trouble hiring and keeping employees, cut their menus to be easier to cook up and to deliver via food delivery services/take-out, leading to a bit of a catch-22 cycle. More Sysco, more not as well prepared, rinse/repeat.

That said, will echo Texas Roadhouse seems to be knocking it out: the one near me is always busy. Ditto for the BJ's I pass by. About only one I go to is Shake Shack and that has been consistent during COVID and currently. I like Blaze, but with their price increases, getting close to same price as a mom-pop pizza place nearby who are knocking it out with their pizzas (much better ingredients, crust, killer local beer selection) who have been getting the bulk of my pizza business these days (will hit up Blaze when they have a good deal going on via their app).
My impression as a general rule that most chains sink with time. They can’t cut corners, they have to keep the popular items, but come up with new stuff that is just as good.

A couple of decades ago, we‘d go to Chili‘s where I loved the fajita nachos. Then one day I noticed the fajita meat had no flavor, and thereafter the same. We soon stopped going there.

I was never impressed with Red Lobster as a legit seafood place, but they used to have a seafood salad, a Caesar salad topped with hot lobster, crab, shrimp pieces that was to die for and great biscuits.:)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
My impression as a general rule that most chains sink with time. They can’t cut corners, they have to keep the popular items, but come up with new stuff that is just as good.

A couple of decades ago, we‘d go to Chili‘s where I loved the fajita nachos. Then one day I noticed the fajita meat had no flavor, and thereafter the same. We soon stopped going there.

I was never impressed with Red Lobster as a legit seafood place, but they used to have a seafood salad, a Caesar salad topped with hot lobster, crab, shrimp pieces that was to die for and great biscuits.:)

Funny you mention Chili's... we used to go a lot and sit in the bar and order drinks and get a small plate of food, such as nachos or the chips and salsa. They had, had, a great Cadillac Margarita that was outstanding and the food was always good. Then one day, it was all just blah. We haven't been back for over five plus years. The one near me, had to close down for a few days at it had a rodent problem, saw it on my local neighborhood app. That solidified it for us.

Outback has been the same here. The quality has gone down dramatically.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Huntn

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Chili's was really good back in the 80s, when it was still a smaller, regional California chain. The bigger they got, the worse they got. I haven't been to one in over 20 years now.

Reactions: Huntn

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Not to hijack the thread, but since people on here seem to have strong preferences for coffee, can I ask what a couple of good Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts flavors are? We don't drink coffee at all, but my family does. We have a Keurig & keep a box of decaf and a box of regular K cups (both Starbucks brand currently-I know the regular is Pike's Peak or something like that, don't recall what the Decaf is).

I have no idea if those flavors are any good & would appreciate any advice on what a good flavor of Coffee K cups would be for general coffee drinking (regular and Decaf),

Thanks,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.