Thoughts on surprise birthday parties for adults?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, May 8, 2013.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Backstory..

Older brother (52) had a mid-life crisis, got divorced a few years ago, and left the wife/kids here in PA to move out to CA where he spent the first 10 years of his childhood...

He is coming here with the new girlfriend next week for his sons college graduation...I had planned on spending one day next week with just him and maybe the new girlfriend and going shooting until I got text from the new girlfriend inviting me to a surprise birthday party for him. It sounds like it will be his friends (most of whom I don't know, the ones I do know I do not care for), and the ex-wife .

Also, there will be no bouncy castle or ball pit at this party...:eek:

Anyway...Is it me or are surprise birthday parties for adults just weird???

2. mumph macrumors regular

Why are they weird? You said you don't know many of the people there so logically it's your chance to get to know them, who knows you may meet someone you like. ;)

I'm having a surprise party for my mum this weekend (60th) about 100 people are coming :) and I'm really looking forward to it. Loads of people I know, some I don't. There's food and drink, music, pool etc so it will be great.

3. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

It just seems odd to me thats all...If someone did that to me, I would not be happy about it.

4. mumph macrumors regular

Hmmm... I see your point there as I too wouldn't like one for me hehe. You just know if a surprise party is right for which person.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I gave my wife a surprise birthday party for her 40th and she loved it.

She knew we were going out for her birthday, she just didn't know all her friends would be there. I rented a room at Dave and Buster's and bought dinner and drinks for everyone, and it was a great time.

Not sure why grownups wouldn't like something like that.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Since some of your threads have already displayed a level of social awkwardness within you (my perception of you), I think this is a highly subjective opinion. I had one surprise party thrown for me (coincidentally at Dave & Busters) and I loved every aspect of it.

I don't think they're for everyone nor are they entirely necessary, but in my case, it was a huge surprise.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I see no problem with surprise parties for adults.

8. JoeFkling macrumors regular

it depends on the person. My mom HATES surprises. So it would not go over well for her. But I would love one! So that has to go for it. Also the people attending have to be into it as well.

But one question? Why no bounce house?

9. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Never had a surprise party, not even when I was a kid. I would love to have my wife jump out of a giant box naked as a surprise party. :D

10. chown33 macrumors 604

She did it for me...

11. mscriv, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013

mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Surpise parties are great when the person planning it knows what they are doing and who to invite. The surprise element can really throw some people for a loop depending on how social they are. So, the party planner needs to really be specific about inviting close and supportive friends whom the person will be glad to see and happy to spend time with. Additionally, the guests should be able to get along. Don't put people together that shouldn't and risk drama. In truth it can be quite a humbling experience to see people taking the time to stop a celebrate something for you.

What you are describing could be very socially awkward depending on the relationships that exist between the various guests. For example, how do the new girlfriend and the ex-wife get along? Are these old friends, some of whom he maybe hasn't stayed in contact with? There's a lot that could go wrong with this party, but it could also be great.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Caveat: Take into consideration the age of the surprisee...remember for us oldsters, the potential for cardiac arrest when everyone yells "SURPRISE!!" is ever present!:eek:

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Particularly if they consume a conspicuous amount of espresso....;)

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

it's the only thing keeping my heart going at all!

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've always disliked surprise parties if I am the target. Just went to a friends 50th, that was ok. :)

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

[​IMG]

17. Roller macrumors 68020

I think that surprise birthday parties for kids are weirder than for adults. Kids expect a party on their birthday and shouldn't have to wonder if they're going to get one or not. As for adults, it depends on the person. I had one surprise party when I was in my late thirties and it was sort of fun once I got over the shock.

18. JoeFkling macrumors regular

i would like to add that I have never had a birthday party ever and so I am biased in the fact that I want a party. lol

19. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

People any age love surprises.

Never completely grow up, your life is basically over when you do that.

20. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I don't think there is anything wrong with a surprise birthday party at any age. Obviously be sure the right people are there, an appropriate venue is chosen, the "surprise" and the party has the type of tone the person being surprised would enjoy, etc. But the idea of a surprise party for someone older is completely fine IMO.

21. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It depends on the person.
    I was given a surprise party by my wife, in our home, and it was great!
    Her sister was given a surprise party at a restaurant, and she loved it. (the sister, and my wife too [not the planner of it] for that matter)

22. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Saving up all of your money to buy small furry animals to eat at night is weird.

Surprise parties are not.

23. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Who thinks we should throw a surprise party for JoeFkling?

24. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

I personally hate surprise parties, but I hate birthday parties anyway. I've hated them since I was a kid as I got invited to loads of them in primary school and every time I went something bad happened such as food fights or power cuts. At one party there was a power cut and we were all lying in the dark for over an hour! Quite scary for a 4 year old. Ever since those bad experiences I've avoided them like the plague.

25. sunnysweet macrumors newbie

I never have a birthday party, so I do not have any idea about this.
    How about a theme party, I mean horrible theme party, :D