Thoughts on wearing a necklace (men)?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Go Dog Go, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Go Dog Go macrumors member

I've had an interest in wearing a necklace for some time now. I'm a 21 year old guy, I surf, pretty mellow, study engineering...basically a normal guy.

Just wondering what people here think of guys wearing a gold necklace?

I was thinking about getting something that doesn't hang low, is thin, and gold.

Thoughts? What do women think about these?

I would do it just for looks, because I think it would look pretty sweet, and you can keep it on ALL the time.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

To me, a gold chain around the neck of a guy screams cheeseball, dork and lack of good taste. Other kinds are less offensive, but the gold chain is an instant turn-off for me.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Definitley not a fan of the gold necklace. if really want to tho dont wear it with a white wife beater.:p pretty much the definition of trash

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think I still have my rope chain from the 80s. Make me an offer. :D

5. Surely Guest

Surely

I wear a thin white gold necklace with a "Chai" pendant that I designed myself. I wanted white gold to match my watch and platinum ring.

Look into white gold.

I'm not a fan of yellow gold, but it looks good with the right skin-tone.

6. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

i always hvae a small cheap silver one my mum brought me back from spain on. its just dead thin. i like it. could do without it tho. unlike my watch.

7. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

The same thing as men who wear pink..

do what you want.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Pink looks nice on a lot of guys though. Gold chains do not. ;)

9. fotografica macrumors 68040

Did you have one of these too? :p

Attached Files:

10. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I wear a tight gold chain around my neck everyday that my father made years ago, and that had belonged to my grandmother. It means a lot to me, and I think it looks good, however I have been told by several girls that they wish I would stop wearing it cause it doesn't look good on me. I'm not gonna stop wearing it, and I don't know the general consensus but hope that gives you some insight.

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I wear a thin Thai baht necklace that was given to me as a gift from my dad. I've worn in for about 7 years and have never had any complaints about it. The necklace is older than I am and made of 22k and 24k gold.

Now if it wasn't given to me I probably wouldn't have bought one. Just so you know, what type of small necklace isn't really going to determine how people perceive you if you ask me. My necklace isn't even visible unless I have my shirt off.

jon

12. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I aslo tend to wear a long thing silver chain quit often. Unlike the gold one, it falls down to the top of my sternum. I normally wear them together, which again I think looks alright. I think the silver chain is less criticized as well. Do you also wear bracelets and rings? I wear both quite often and get compliments on those. A lot of it depends on your body type, skin tone, and the actual necklace....and your friend's tastes. :p

13. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

yeah i'm going to go with a no on this one. cheeseball.

Attached Files:

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Only if you buy an oversized black suit with white, bold pinstripes that are spaced far apart to match the chain......and....uh......you run the mafia.

15. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

That's just dreadful!

16. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

start growing out your hair and get a hemp necklace.

17. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

Gold chains just scream CHAV!!! :eek:

I used to have a rope necklace (much more surferey - I know this is not a word) and doesn't make you look like a chav!

18. MacVixen macrumors 6502

A hemp necklace is a great suggestion. Especially for the OP who says he is a mellow surfer.

Gold chains on men.... idk... I just don't like it for some reason. I always expect the open shirt and hairy chest to go along with it :p

19. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

hemp is for bros

20. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Get one of those dime-a-dozen Abercrombie necklaces that you pay like $40 for. If the ads are anything to go by, they're a hyooge hit with da Ladies.

I've tried wearing necklaces before - not the gold chains, that's just wrong - but the hemp style, the cord style, the pendent style, etc etc. In the end it just me feel uncomfortable and I kept trying to tuck down under my collar.

I kept thinking also of a line from that Bonnie Hunt movie where she goes "I hate men who wear jewellery!"

21. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

thank you for providing entertainment for me

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought about getting a silver chain back in 2002ish, but after some thought its hella not my scene.
    I rather like them "hippie necklaces" as they're called round here. Them wooden beaded things. Got a pinboard full of them even though I don't wear them much.

But gold? Nah. That just looks hella naff yo.

23. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Thank you. I'll be here all week.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

25. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

URGH… slang mismatch… processing… proce…*headsplodey*

Nevertheless, fo' shizzle, Bubba. First it's the chain, next it's the pinky ring and then before you know it, you're either wearing an Armani and putting out a hit on a guy or wearing polyester and trying to impress women with the expensive used car it's otherwise your job to sell.