(thoughts) our biggest argument against android

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NateJamesMeyers, May 11, 2011.

1. NateJamesMeyers macrumors member

is that there are way more apps on ios, but android market has 3 times the growth. so by august they'll have almost twice the apps, what will we all do once the biggest downside of android is gone?

2. Torin macrumors newbie

The biggest downside has always been and will continue to be the interface. It doesn't have the same level of polish, and probably won't for some time to come. Specs, apps, price... all that aside, the most important aspect IMO is usability, and to date, it still isn't "there".

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Why can't the platforms coexist?

I have an iPad, but my phone is an HTC Evo. Competition is good, and they both have their strengths and weaknesses, it doesn't all come down to the app selection - remember, size isn't everything.

4. spinedoc77, May 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011

spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Depends on who is doing the judging. Plenty think Android is more polished than iOS, and getting more polished by the day. iOS in many ways is stuck behind the times. As for apps after sifting through literally thousands of useless apps yes there are plenty of extremely useful apps, but it makes you realize just using the sheer number of iOS apps isn't automatically a deal sealer.

No Android isn't there yet, but it's pretty exciting to see how far and how fast they are getting there. I love my ipad2, but having virtually the same OS as when the original iphone was released is starting to get a bit old.

Blasphemy, you just took away the reason to exist for 3/4 of our members. ;)

5. NateJamesMeyers thread starter macrumors member

So many people like how simple it is but I think thats its holding the os back. If I want a simple interface on android I make it that way. If I want live tiles like Windows phone 7 I make it that way. I think the choice is better

6. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Number of apps is not a useful criterion to hang your hat on, particularly when the number for both platforms is in the hundreds of thousands.

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

How does the fact that your numbers are wrong come into play?

8. kalex macrumors 65816

Totally agree. I have Ipad2 and Nexus S and happy with both. For phone I prefer android and for tablet I prefer Ipad

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

We will buy which ever tablet we like the most.

10. Krandor macrumors 6502

There are the issues of support and upgrades which is still a problem for Android. If tablets work like phones you will get one upgrade if you are lucky and that will only come when the maker of your tablet decides to send it out.

11. NateJamesMeyers thread starter macrumors member

stop with the update problem, google announced a plan at i/o yesterday to guarantee timely updates. and all major android phone developers have signed on

12. chrisbetty macrumors 6502

You can have the same argument about Window and Mac but in reality it's just personal preference of the consumer,I like apple products just because they suit me better for what I am going for and I like how solidly they are built and how much of a community and market there is for them,Plus the uniformity between them.That's just what I like.

13. Igantius, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

Igantius macrumors 65816

I don't know anyone who has bought an iPod Touch, iPad or iPhone on the strength that iOS has more apps than Android.

It's been predicted that the smartphone market will be able to sustain a few operating systems - personally, I think a number of competing platforms is good for consumers and the idea that one OS will rule all smartphones isn't going to happen.

14. goMac macrumors 603

Why do I need an argument against Android?

They announced that they're talking with companies about working on it. There hasn't actually been any resolution to the problem.

15. Mac.World, May 11, 2011

Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

16. felch, May 11, 2011

felch macrumors member

I have an iPod touch 4g, iPad 2 and a motorola atrix and I used to have a iPhone 4.

Personally I hate android 2.2. Even with 1gb of ram and a dualcore tegra 2 my phone is unresponsive and jittery doing everyday things like growing the web or even panning the 7 useless home screens.

Even tho there are several app markets out there and many apps the majority of them are the same. On top top of that they are more expensive and are not guaranteed to work on your phone.

Op the IO yesterday only means phones will be supported for 18 months, similar to how apple doesn't update the iPhone 2g. I find it hard to believe that the manufacturers are going to update in a timely manner, if at all. They are more concerned with sales and want you to buy a new phone instead.

Gingerbread has been out for 5 months and maybe 3 phones have received the update? It's pretty pathetic when you have to rely on XDA to keep your phones upto date.

17. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

At the end of the day, people LOVE to customise things and "Make it their own"

People in the past have loved snap on covers on mobile phones to personalise them, their own ringtones, their own message tones, wallpaper etc etc.

Apple in general are all anti that. You can change your wallpaper on the iPad and that's pretty much that.

It's early days I agree but I have known a couple of people personally who have switched from iPhones to Android models and have commended on how they love to be able to customise it, which they could never do before.

Of course, there will be people who want it to just look as plain and simple as can be, but there are others who want to do more.

In time, I can see Apple will have to cut users a bit more slack when it comes to this, esp when Android tablets have been out a few years and get seen a bit more.

The crazy thing is, if you jailbrake your iPad you can do all manner if customisations that Apple block legitimate users from doing with their own device they paid their hard earned money for. It's quite crazy when you think about it.

18. robjulo macrumors 6502a

Who is our? Why would you argue against another brand? Whpy would you have to make arguments for or against multi billion dollar companies? Competition is good for everyone.

19. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

The crazy thing is, you can root your Android-based phone/tablet and do all manner of customizations that HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola block legitimate users from doing with their own device they paid hard earned money for.

See, it's quite easy to flip this around. Android-based devices are not very customizable until you root them. Same thing with iPhones.

20. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Some people do.

All of which you can do on an iPhone.

If you ignore the rest of the stuff that you just mentioned and other stuff too.

It's sounds so reasonable when you only discuss the advantages and not the tradeoffs.

But what does any of that have to do with the number of apps each platform offers or the advantages of iOS over Android?

21. poloponies macrumors 68030

If by "people" you mean teens, then I concur. Adults certainly buy into fancy cases and Apple understands that. To argue that a platform is superior because you can bling it out misintunderstands the market.

Not all phones sold are iPhones, not all notebooks sold are MacBooks and not every tablet sold will be an iPad. Apple knew that going in and nobody at Apple is going to lose sleep if there are good non-Apple tablets being sold.

22. Janet1 macrumors member

^
    This

Different strokes for different folks.

23. rav16 macrumors member

I love technology but at the same time I don't want to spend time in rooting my device and having it the way I want. For me when I buy a product i must be able to use it right away from the box. The simple the better. And that is why I love apple products . I was anti apple before but once I started using apple products I was impressed. I played with Acer honeycomb tablet and right away went and bought iPad 2 , the build quality , the user experience the touch response everything is just smooth, fluid and elegant in apple products . And I don't know it's my view I just find honeycomb ugly and boring and way con fussing it's just not for me now they can come with million apps I think I will stay with apple.

24. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I'll please you all:

ANDROID MUST DIE!!! DIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. NateJamesMeyers thread starter macrumors member

I understand competitions good, the numbers show that the android market is growing exponentially. the app store is increasing steadily. this IS a thoughts post, rantings fine. There were some excellent points here, Different products apply to different groups of people. I like the teens to adults comparison :cool: