Thread for 2g owners who are pissed they are already outdated

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by supermac96, Aug 1, 2011.

1. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

this is the thread for iPod touch 2g owners who are pissed they are already outdated!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Why be mad? It isn't like Apple bricked all iPod Touch 2G's when they released iOS 4.3

3. WLS macrumors 65816

I'm still mad my Gen1 Touch has already been outdated! :eek:

4. Skika macrumors 68030

So you are basically mad technology is progressing quickly?

5. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

no I just think it is stupid that you can buy a 200-300 $ product and only be able to update for a year before apple outdates you so you will buy a new touch and they can make more billions.

6. AdrianK macrumors 68020

What's the point of this thread? This was news 8 months ago...

7. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

I have to disagree. It wasn't 4.3. Apple screwed over 2nd gen users when the released 4.0
    That thing cripple my old 3G to hell.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It still turned on? It still preformed its intended functions right, no matter the speed? Then it isn't bricked.

For me a nicely pruned 4.2.1 firmware runs much better than 3.1.3 with better battery life and greater stability on my 32Gb 2G iPod Touch.

9. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Lucky you. 4.2.1 was unbearable on the 3G. The battery life was mediocre, browsing on safari was crap, apps took forever to load up. All I can do on the thing was just text and make phone calls.

10. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

it slowed mine down a ton and i lost a ton of battery life and it lost a ton of stability. you are so lucky! It takes 20 seconds for the music app to open!

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You just need to jailbreak it and remove lots of unneeded things. That and a few custom modifications make mine run really nice. And as a bonus, it gets around 30 days of standby. That's with 1 hour email, calendar, contacts fetch turned on.

12. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Get ready because even 4th generation iPod touch owners are about to be outdated in a month.

And enjoy all your iPad 2's because those two* will be outdated next year. *Pun intended

And have fun with all your fancy Macs because they'll be outdated next year.

And watch lots of that Apple TV because-yes, that will be outdated soon.

Treasure all those calls on those iPhone 4! Because they'll be less fun once its outdated in a month or so!

And... and... those iPods! They'll be outdated soon! Careful! Time is out to outdate all your fancy tech toys! No one is safe! Dont attempt to stop time! Because it is impossible!

Guess what! Your own skin and hair is becoming outdated slowly! Time is out to get us all! Everybody get inside a DeLorean! DX

13. jonrando, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

jonrando macrumors 6502a

The 2G iPod touch is 3 years old. There will always be new stuff coming out and you'll have to deal with that. Just go buy a new iPod if you're that pissed and don't complain.

I think by outdated he means that they don't get anymore software updates and are no longer supported by Apple.

I don't forsee the iPod touch 4g being outdated so fast. It has the A4 chip and a retina display, so whenever the iPad 1 and iPhone 4 (all have the same hardware pretty much) are no longer supported, the iPod touch 4g won't be. Perhaps all three of the aforementioned devices will last longer because of said hardware (minus the retina display for the iPad 1). I'm actually suprised the 3rd gen is still supported in iOS 5 and it looks to be running pretty smooth too.

iOS 4.0 to 4.2.1 ran pretty smooth on my 2nd gen. I reckon it was only the iPhone 3G that had the lag issues in 4.0+.

14. jonrando macrumors 6502a

15. BiggAW macrumors 68020

If you want something that will be supported almost forever, get a Microsoft product.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

? the first gen touch I have had since 07 works just fine today

17. jonrando macrumors 6502a

That's how companies make money. Besides, what would be so cool about having hardware that can't support updates? If Apple never came out with new products, lots of people would still have the original Apple 1, the original iPhone, iPod touch 1g, and iPad 1 (i'd be fine with an iPad 1).

Trust me, if someone put iOS 5 onto a 2nd gen iPod, you'd be glad Apple isn't updating it to iOS 5.

18. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Ok, I updated my 2nd gen iPod touch that I keep in my car (it was on 3.13) to 4.2.1. Jailbroke it, removed all the unnecessary launch daemons. It was still slow and painful to use. Maybe I've been spoiled by the speed of my iPhone 4, but never again I will touch a 2nd gen device on 4.X
    To the people have 2nd gen devices on 4.X I envy your patients with those devices.

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Its takes a lot of custom modding and tweaking before 4.2.1 runs nicely on the iPod Touch 2G. Removing the launch daemons alone doesn't work.

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iOS devices typically get 1.5 to 2 years of software updates from its launch. Better than other products.

WRONG.

Plays for Sure devices = killed
    Plays for Sure DRM = killed
    Windows Mobile = killed
    Zune = killed
    Windows Phone Kin = killed in 6 weeks, revived on life support
    etc.

21. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Sorry boys, it's the circle of life... My Gen3 is running fine with all the latest updates. Battery life is even pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised or all that bummed if iOS5 wouldn't run on it. Next time buy your Touch at the beginning of it's lifecycle and then it won't be outdated so quickly.

22. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Go back to 3.1.3

23. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

24. AdrianK macrumors 68020

iPod touch 1st gen and iPhone 2G got 3 years support. (1.0 to 3.13)
    iPod touch 2nd gen and iPhone 3G got 2.4 years support. (2.0 to 4.2)
    iPod touch 3rd gen and iPhone 3G will get (at least) 3 years support. (3.0 to 5.x)

You give Apple too little credit ;)

It's certainly better than the track record for Android devices where you get updates whenever the manufacturer and/or carriers decide that their users are worthy of an update.

25. BiggAW macrumors 68020

TYPICALLY, M$ products are well supported, and Windows and Office have specified support time-frames. Anyone dumb enough to buy a Kin deserves what they got.

I can see why people really want the iPod Touches to get a full 3-4 years of support, but iPhones only need 18-24 months, since you can upgrade to a new one after 18.