Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Do we really need 4 different iPad screen sizes? Not to mention, we have 3 screen sizes now, but 5 iPad models to choose from, before considering 3/4 colors, 3 capacities, and 2 connectivity options.

It's starting to seem a lot like Android devices, except with hardware, not software, fragmentation.

Presumably much of this is transition. The bezel-free 10.x" will presumably become mainstream, and we'll revert to a small/medium/large set of sizes.

It's also silly to merge all these options together as "things you have to decide". Really the decision is
- size?
- connectivity?
- storage?
- color?

It's really not that hard. The whole point is everything you are deciding is pretty obvious to your use cases. You don't have to consider technical imponderable like "Well, do I really need a 2.7GHz A73 for $150 more than a 2.2GHz A72? Should I get 6GB or is 4GB of RAM enough? What sort of camera do I want?" etc.

netwalker

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
Am wondering if Barclays has an interest in lowering Apple's pre-christmas sales by spreading rumors about next year's iphones and iPads.

macfan57

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014

Apple will launch a trio of new iPad Pro models in March, including refreshed 9.7-inch and 12.9-inch versions and an all-new bezel-free 10.9-inch model, according to Barclays Research analysts Blayne Curtis, Christopher Hemmelgarn, Thomas O'Malley, and Jerry Zhang, citing sources within the company's Asian supply chain.

ipad_lineup_2016_sides.jpg

In a research note obtained by MacRumors, the analysts said the 10.9-inch model's borderless design will allow for it to be the same physical size as the current-generation 9.7-inch iPad Pro. That means the display itself will need to have an edge-to-edge design, possibly signaling the removal of the Home button.

Multiple rumors have claimed Apple is developing a new iPad in the 10-inch range, but the exact screen size has varied in each report. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said a new 10.5-inch iPad Pro will launch in 2017, while Japanese website Mac Otakara said a new 10.1-inch iPad Pro will launch in early 2017.

Barclays, like Kuo, expects the new 9.7-inch iPad Pro to be a "low-cost" model alongside the 7.9-inch iPad mini, which the analysts do not believe will be refreshed alongside the larger tablets. Instead, the research note said Apple will continue to produce and sell the iPad mini 4, released in September 2015.

Mac Otakara previously said the 12.9-inch iPad Pro will feature a True Tone display like its current 9.7-inch counterpart, using advanced four-channel ambient light sensors to automatically adapt the color and intensity of the display to match the light in the surrounding environment.

That report said all three new iPad Pro models will gain quad microphones, compared to the current dual setup, and retain 3.5mm headphone jacks.

The 12.9-inch iPad Pro is also said to gain the 9.7-inch model's same 12-megapixel rear-facing iSight camera and True Tone flash.

More "revolutionary" changes to iPads, including a switch to OLED displays, are expected in 2018, according to Kuo's earlier report.

Article Link: Three New iPads Said to Launch in March, Including Bezel-Free 10.9-Inch Model
[doublepost=1478888826][/doublepost]For Apple "launch in March" means you'll be lucky if you get them until June. Limited quantities, supplier problems, blah, blah, blah.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
One thing that people should understand is that the 10.5/10.9" would most likely have the same number of pixels and UI screen estate as the 12.9" iPad pro, but shrunk in size by increasing pixel density to around 326 PPI.

This would be like the relationship as between the 9.7" and the mini, which both share the same pixel count at different densities. That way developers wouldn't have to do a single thing to adapt 12.9" apps to this new iPad size as they would run without modification and use native resolution.

I think it's a great move, as I've heard many people say that they appreciate the increased UI screen estate of the 12.9" pro but find it too large physically.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Jony Ive: "So are you saying...that the iPad...is not thin enough?" *runs off to cut away all the battery and functionality of an iPad and releases a sheet of aluminium*

That's just willful stupidity (on behalf of both commenters).
One of the values of thin devices is precisely that you can encase them in a variety of ways and still have a device that is easy to use. Some people want a fairly thick case that includes some sort of keyboard, or want a protective case. Some people (like me) buy a marginally expensive (~$100) nice soft leather case that makes it very easy and comfortable to hold an iPad and read using it.

Honestly the childishness of the comments I read sometimes makes me weep. Apple (and, for that matter many other companies) are creating these incredible devices that are DELIBERATELY designed, among other things, for extreme customization through things like cases, and we have a bunch of three year olds crying that it's not fair that Apple doesn't make the exact color they want, and doesn't create a SKU with the exact type of surface texture or other case features they want.

Reactions: citysnaps

sledgehammer89

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
Want to have a current iPad mini Pro 7.9". My iPad mini 2 is getting old... all other released minis were old on release with an old CPU.

Reactions: sracer

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
I guess Apple is falling again, like when Steve was pulled off: too many models not so much differentiated with too high price tags

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Firebrand

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
“iPads Said to Launch in March” ?

IF true, the wait for iMacs has just become so much longer.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
it's just not innovative. Unless apple has an ipad version of iOS many of us will sit these new versions out.

we just dont need a big iphone.

And others of us love that the iPad uses iOS and are very happy using the iPad as our primary computer. Great that both form factors are available to choose from.

Reactions: M. Gustave

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Pretty skeptical about this. There's no practical purpose to having a bezel-free iPad. I understand having a bezel-free iphone, as most people can hold it one-handed and from the back and sides. iPads though are held by the bezels, because of their size. This doesn't make ergonomic or practical sense... I don't see it.

Reactions: Gudi

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
The Mac Mini and Mac Pro are in desperate need of rumors at this point.

I'm willing to bet they get killed off. At least the mini. Apple doesn't care about bringing users into the Mac ecosystem anymore. For those that want macs they will offer their expensive models. They want casual "affordable" computer users (the target audience for the Mac mini and 11" MacBook Air) to buy iPads.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
10.9" in the same size would be amazing and perfect for me. Since the Pro models came out I always thought the 9.7" size was just slightly small for drawing and the 12.9" model was a little big to carry around and hold for extended periods. I'm very interested in a 10.9" iPad Pro with 4GB RAM and an A11 Fusion chip that can use all four cores if required. But even more than that I want Apple to provide a better "Pro" software experience in iOS.

As for the quad microphones—are you freaking kidding me? Why? It's like Apple is running out of ideas for the iPad so they just keep bolting on more crap like the four speakers. At least dual cameras and dual speakers on the iPhone makes sense.

Waiting for OLED in 2018 is tempting, but I figure this could last me 2-3 years until mLED is in the iPad, which is even better!

Reactions: s1m

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Pretty skeptical about this. There's no practical purpose to having a bezel-free iPad. I understand having a bezel-free iphone, as most people can hold it one-handed and from the back and sides. iPads though are held by the bezels, because of their size. This doesn't make ergonomic or practical sense... I don't see it.

I could see them reducing the top and bottom bezels but not entirely doing away with them. Not before the iPhone ditches the home button anyway.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
All of these details about new iPads and the iPhone 8 but still nothing about a new iMac.
I would buy a MBP 15" but I just don't need a laptop. The smaller iMac with Retina hits the sweet spot for me.
The truth is that the current machine would probably work but I can wait to see if it gets a better processor, better SSD and USB-c.
My original iPad air is still fine for my tablet needs. Maybe the 2018 model with OLED will interest me if I don't need a second mortgage to own one.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

practical purpose: smaller size/less weight for same screen size

Kaliper

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2016
I guess lots of sad faces will be seen when they refresh the new mbp already outdated in March for a Kaby lake and/or 32gb rams

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
It’ll be interesting to see how Apple handles inadvertant touches along the edges of the device. With no bezel, there’s not “safe” place to grip the device while holding it. The OS will have to determine what’s a deliberite touch vs indiscriminate touch.

I wonder if the palm-rejection that is used on the Pros has gotten enough bake time for it to be considered "ready" to allow for a bezel-free device. I'm not entirely convinced due to the spurious touches I still get in when using the Pencil, but if they think they've cracked those issues, they may attempt it.

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
Really disappointed. I have been an iPad mini user for years now because the form factor is so much more portable than the 9.7 inch model. I hope they reconsider.

Reactions: unobtainium

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Just in general, what are the advantages of an iPad over a MS Surface? I've seen a commercial where Microsoft says the Surface is more powerful than a MacBook (MacBook Air?) but how does the Surface and IPad compare using price and performance? Not likely to upgrade because we got 2 new iPads just last year, but I'm curious since they are both emphasizing the hand drawing and shading capacity of their units. Since I can't draw anyway, it's only curiosity.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
One thing that people should understand is that the 10.5/10.9" would most likely have the same number of pixels and UI screen estate as the 12.9" iPad pro, but shrunk in size by increasing pixel density to around 326 PPI.

This would be like the relationship as between the 9.7" and the mini, which both share the same pixel count at different densities. That way developers wouldn't have to do a single thing to adapt 12.9" apps to this new iPad size as they would run without modification and use native resolution.

I think it's a great move, as I've heard many people say that they appreciate the increased UI screen estate of the 12.9" pro but find it too large physically.

Well, here's the thing. The API changes that enabled apps to support split screen and the 12.9" Pro also mean that Apple can introduce new form factors without requiring changes to apps to support it. Apps using the auto-layout APIs to support split-screen and the larger Pro will auto-scale to a potential 10.x" screen just as easily. iOS is about as screen size independent as it can get right now. The main issue is legacy apps that still haven't been updated for either split screen or the larger Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.