Thumbplay Poaches Apple Executive, Launches Subscription Music Service

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Media Memo reports that popular ringtone site Thumbplay has launched a new subscription music service, offering consumers unlimited streaming for $10/month with the option to purchase songs from a catalog of 8 million tracks at the same $0.69-$1.29 price points found on Apple's iTunes Store.

While the launch of yet another music service is not terribly newsworthy by itself, Thumbplay has also announced the hiring of former Apple executive Pablo Calamera as Chief Technology Officer. Calamera has held several positions at Apple, most recently a Director in Apple's Engineering division, overseeing development of MobileMe since 2006. He also spent time with Microsoft acquisitions Danger and WebTV.

Commented Schwartz: "We are thrilled to have Pablo join our team. He has unique experience with Apple, Danger and WebTV in delivering and syncing content across multiple platforms for a scaled customer base. He has also managed major integrations with U.S. and international carriers; an area of ongoing strategic importance for us. Over the course of his career, he has done an extraordinary job of building state-of-the-art consumer products and services from concept to completion. Technological innovation is paramount to Thumbplay, and Pablo's talent, experience and commitment to excellence will play a vital role in keeping us at the forefront of mobile entertainment offerings."
Building on its ringtone roots, Thumbplay is positioning its new music service as focused on mobile device streaming, with Research in Motion's BlackBerry line being the initial target. The company is reportedly also planning to offer a desktop app and will deploy iPhone and Android apps later this year.

Article Link: Thumbplay Poaches Apple Executive, Launches Subscription Music Service

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
So they got the guy who was responsible for one of Apple's worst products?

Uh...good job there!

Serioiusly, I do use MobileMe and like it. I think it's worth the money and suggest it to people. But you have to admit that the 2006-2009 time period was not the brightest time in MobileMe/.Mac history.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
He was working on MobileMe in 2006? They can have him!
My thoughts exactly. MobileMe/.Mac/iTools has been a disaster since it turned into a paid service back in 2002.

The only reason I keep renewing is because of my @mac.com that I've had since 2000 and for Mac to iPhone/other Macs syncing. At $99 per year, it's a joke.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Not much of a news, I would say.. Except he is leaving Apple at an interesting and exciting time at Apple.. Thumbplay sounds boring compared to all that.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I have to agree that if this is the guy responsible for the dotMac to MobileMe transition they probably didn't have to do much to headhunt this guy. That was probably one of the worst transitions ever.

MH1972

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2008
I agree with the other posts. If he was responsible for the MobileMe fiasco over the past few years - i'm just glad to hear he's no longer working at Apple.

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
So they got the guy who was responsible for one of Apple's worst products?

Uh...good job there!

Serioiusly, I do use MobileMe and like it. I think it's worth the money and suggest it to people. But you have to admit that the 2006-2009 time period was not the brightest time in MobileMe/.Mac history.
Yet it didn't stop you from signing up... :rolleyes:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
giving my experience with mobile me i would say the should not mention that Pablo Calamera is now working for them. :rolleyes:

although now mobile me works quite ok for me the transition from .mac to me.com was a nightmare and even long after the service was a joke.

i guess i won't even try this subscrition service.

Yet it didn't stop you from signing up... :rolleyes:
well, when your email address is very important to you the switching isn't that easy. also you always think tomorrow they fix the problems and you never believe that it would get only worse instead.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I have to agree that if this is the guy responsible for the dotMac to MobileMe transition....
It's quite possible that he argued strongly for a different approach
to the transition, but was overruled by higher ups in Cupertino.

In which case, while technically "responsible" for the transition,
he'd warned the execs that they were creating a train wreck,
and he's a good catch.

The pointy-haired bosses are always careful to have a "fall guy".

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
It's quite possible that he argued strongly for a different approach
to the transition, but was overruled by higher ups in Cupertino.

In which case, while technically "responsible" for the transition,
he'd warned the execs that they were creating a train wreck,
and he's a good catch.

The pointy-haired bosses are always careful to have a "fall guy".
You could write a novel with that list of assumptions lol. Time will tell what really happened no doubt. Palm can be chapter one.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
This is not the last we will hear of this. I sense a lawsuit coming; or at the very least, their app having mysterious issues with the approval process.

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Obviously, Schwartz does not have/use a .Mac - sorry - Mobile Me account.
I guess that speaks to the power of the word "Apple" on one's resume.

All jokes aside, I've been using MobileMe since the free .Mac days. And while it does have some impressive aspects, bang for buck is not one of them.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
He was working on MobileMe in 2006? They can have him!
Yeah, and that was after he made a mess out of "WebTV". He also had something to do with "Danger" for Microsoft...whatever that was, it sure never popped up on my radar.

It seems he was always involved in forgetable products.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Actually MobileMe is the best service of its kind.

It might be more attractive if it were free, though. but quite frankly, I'm more inclined to trust a paid service when it comes to these things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.