Thunderbolt 3/USB-C Adapters, Cables, and Hubs for New MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 1, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In line with the 12-inch MacBook, Apple has removed all ports on the new MacBook Pro beyond two or four Thunderbolt 3 ports and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Thunderbolt 3 carries power, USB, DisplayPort, HDMI, and VGA over a single USB-C port, creating one standard for connecting most accessories and peripherals.

The issue for now, however, is not all devices are equipped with USB-C ports. Apple's very own iOS devices, for example, use a proprietary Lightning port instead.

More USB-C accessories will inevitably be released over the coming months and years, but in the meantime, many new MacBook Pro users will need to purchase at least one dongle or hub to use the notebook with their current setup. Own an iPhone? You need a new cable. Own a Thunderbolt Display? You need an adapter.

Below, we have rounded up some of the USB-C adapters and cables available from Apple and third-party accessory makers.

Apple

[​IMG]
    Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 1/2 Adapter -- $49

This adapter can be used to connect the new MacBook Pro to Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 peripherals. Examples include Apple's discontinued Thunderbolt Display and older Thunderbolt external storage drives.

The adapter can also be used to connect the new MacBook Pro to Apple's Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter and Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter. Tip: Belkin sells a direct USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet adapter for $34.95.

The adapter is bidirectional, so it can be used reversely to connect new Thunderbolt 3 devices to an older Mac with a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port.

[​IMG]
    USB-C Charge Cable -- $25

Have you ordered a new MacBook Pro and also own an iPhone? You can't connect the two devices out of the box without purchasing an additional adapter or cable. One of those options is Apple's own USB-C to Lightning cable.

The cable can be used to charge and sync any Lightning-equipped iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with USB-C devices like the new MacBook Pro. A 1-meter cable is available for $25, while a 2-meter version costs $35.

Few if any third-party Lightning to USB-C cables authorized under Apple's MFi Program are currently available.

Tip: An alternative option is to purchase a USB-C adapter or hub with at least one USB-A port and then use a traditional Lightning to USB cable -- see below.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Thunderbolt 3/USB-C Adapters, Cables, and Hubs for New MacBook Pro

2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I'm actually really, really happy that it's only $20 (or lower if you go 3rd-party) to replace a frayed charger cable now! Much better than $80

Edit: Oops, misread the article so this is not totally relevant. But I'm still happy about this.

3. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

4. Altis macrumors 68000

Nothing says "Pro" like showing up to a job with a handful of adapters and dongles.

5. oatmealeveryday macrumors newbie

I'd rather risk $60 and have all the old ports back.

Not to mention you'd have $400 more in your pocket before.

6. Lestdog macrumors regular

7. swester macrumors regular

At this point, Apple should open up a line of sub-branded retail shops that just sell the dongles. They could make them in different colors, with special U2 editions!

8. w00master macrumors 65816

So many dongles... what do those pictures remind me of?

That's right....
    [​IMG]
    Funny how things change.

9. leroypants Suspended

That's a joke right, Apple cant seriously wants it's users to pay 25 dollars for an adapter just to charge you Iphone.

10. Uni Grad, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016

Uni Grad macrumors 6502a

Uni Grad

Apple Inc. should be renamed to Dongle Inc., cause after the iPhone, dongles are going to be their next flagship product.

"Think Dongle"

FullSizeRender.jpg

11. Max Portakabin Suspended

Wish there was a adapter that converted the CEO of Apple into someone competent.

12. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

The OWC USB-C Dock and the base 13 MBP i'm testing will Kernel Panic 100% of the time when you run Chrome, fyi. Report submitted to OWC.

13. Mythos99 macrumors member

It's so great to be part of the future with USB-C...

14. clifgriffin macrumors member

15. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

Or an adapter to use another adapter to connect to a wired network?

16. afd macrumors 6502a

2 normal USB and 2 usb c would have been more sensible. New MPB is laptop for 5 years time when everyone has USB stuff. By then you'll need to replace it. Sometimes it's more important to be on time than first.

17. malevolant macrumors 6502

And then once you buy the $25 USB C to Lightning cable, you need a power adapter to go with it.

18. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

but they do tho....

19. GoodOne macrumors regular

I called Satechi today and asked if their USB-C Multi Port Adapter Supports 85W on the 2016 15 Inch MBP and they said it doesn't Support it. Although I'm not sure the rep was very technical so you never know.

Does the Apple AV Multi Adapter Support 85W? It says it's compatible but I read several times it doesn't Support 85W?

20. Lestdog macrumors regular

Or this crap.
    [​IMG]

21. imola.zhp macrumors 6502

imola.zhp

What I don't understand is why they didn't add a female lighting port so that iPhone 7/7+ users don't have to carry two sets of earphones.

22. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

For a lot of people, just getting an inexpensive USB C to multi USB 3 (A) hub would be easier than replacing a bunch of cables and other devices. To start, anyway. They're cheap and some are kinda nice looking (like the wedge shaped aluminum ones).

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay