Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by G4scott
Can anyone remember the last time spymac was right???
No. Well, yes, but I will never trust anything they say.

There is an update at the bottom of http://www.oeyvind.org/news/story/0410022000.html:

UPDATE: According various site in Japan, the shipment of PowerBook G4 has been stop, people there are having problem to get PB G4 now, what left is whatever in store there.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
its hard to believe

Wow, sounds good to be true. But i doubt it, especially since they said "no CPUs in coming months". There is a high possibility for MWNY.

This is what i predict :
10.1.4 in few weeks
10.2 - WWDC

upgraded g4 powermac and powerbook - MWNY

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
NOOOOOOOO!!!

A thicker enclosure?!?!?!?!?
Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!?

sigh...If this rumor has any credibility, then my faith in Ive and crew has just dropped like a stone...they should not be forcing the Superdrives to work in the PBs...let the technology get to the point where it's feasible.

The world does not need more bulky laptops pretending to be portable...

Don't take a step backwards Apple.

SubFredZero

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2001
Re: NOOOOOOOO!!!

Originally posted by Rower_CPU
A thicker enclosure?!?!?!?!?
Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!?

Well the answer to that question is : YES, they are kidding you... :) It's a spymac rumor so i woulnd't believe it.

The thing I can believe is the 800mhz, it has to be done... But the superdrive : no way. Anyway : a superdrive uses lot's of power so you could only burn when your Tibook isn't on battery power. If you want to burn dvd's buy a iMac...

colaboy

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2002
Apple Japan sure doesn't look out of stock to me...

If you go to http://www.apple.co.jp you can order the middle column tibook 667 through the apple site and get a three business day turnaround as of right now (9am Sunday April 14th GMT). The top end built to order model is 8 days;

=-=-=
納期予定
3 営業日
8 営業日
=-=-=

Which translates in english to;

=-=-=
Payment date schedule
3 business day
8 business day
=-=-=

TiMacLover

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2001
Clovis, CA USA
Please New Tibooks

For myself I am very poor, I need a Powerbook G4 for next year I am taking a alternitive high school class about Oracle, learning PHP and Java so I need the power my fastest computer I have right now is my Power Macintosh 9500, I had a iBook 300 but sadly stolen by a family member and lets just say it went towards drugs :( If apple was to release a new Tibook soon the G4 400Mhz models would go down, already I saw one go for $996 on eBay a week ago and it was the standard I would be killing for air to have a Powerbook G4 400 with 256 RAM and DVD.

Can You Deny A Face Like That?

Attachments

• steve2.jpg
    steve2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 2,877

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Re: Re: NOOOOOOOO!!!

Originally posted by SubFredZero

Well the answer to that question is : YES, they are kidding you... :) It's a spymac rumor so i woulnd't believe it.

The thing I can believe is the 800mhz, it has to be done... But the superdrive : no way. Anyway : a superdrive uses lot's of power so you could only burn when your Tibook isn't on battery power. If you want to burn dvd's buy a iMac...

Nope, the thicker enclosure rumor was started by a japanese user group. Spymac is simply linking to it.

And if it is thicker., who cares? My Tibook feels far too fragile. I'm sure it wouldn't be like 3inches or anything.

iapple

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2001
it's just

more spymac bs..

the 800mhz seems ok, but the superdrive, just won't fit/or work. Who wants to burn DVDs on the road anyway??? It takes sooooo long. You'll run out of battery just by editing the movie..

not tibooks for awhile, that's what I say..

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I also noticed that on spymac's report that new iBooks were going to come out before June. When was the last time (other than the Combo Drive Powerbooks) that Apple updated their line of products in only 4 months instead of 6?

As for Powerbooks and Bluetooth, does this mean a wireless Apple Pro Mouse? That would be interesting...

And Apple would not want to increase the thickness of the Powerbook more than an inch. The limit Apple makes their portables in weight should be 6 pounds. By making the enclosure bigger you just add more weight. I would rather wait for technology to catch up and squeeze in a Superdrive later if one doesn't fit now, as Rower_CPU posted.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

gregorypierce

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
Not all very sound moves IMHO

Increasing the thickness of the TiBook would be a step backwards as many people who want them want the ultra-light and ultra-capable machine. Putting a superdrive in them should at best become an option as I personally don't see the need for burning DVDs in a laptop. An increase in speed does make sense as does bundling in BlueTooth - but BlueTooth is soooo young that I don't see the value add of putting it in now - best to keep those extra dollars in profit margin on the machine.

So out of all of that the one thing that makes sense to me is the speed bump. All of the other stuff seems to be quite a stretch.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Not all very sound moves IMHO

Originally posted by gregorypierce
Increasing the thickness of the TiBook would be a step backwards as many people who want them want the ultra-light and ultra-capable machine.

Hold you're opinion untill you see it. An increase in thickness could be 1/32", miniscule. Or it could be more. I'll take a wait and see attitude here. I don't think Apple would make a huge jump in thickness, it just doesn't make sense.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
if these rumours are close to being true, i'll be very tempted to sell my rev a and get a new model :) I do quite a bit of video editing for church/friends/family, so having a dvd burner on a portable would be sweet. I mostly use my tibook plugged in, so i wouldn't be worried about the battery usage of a superdrive.

Now what was my ebay password.... :D

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I can find only one reason for Apple making the PowerBook thicker (like, .2 inches, or so), and that's if they added a hot-swappable drive bay. That is what most professionals loved with their older PowerBook G3's, and made them reluctant to buy a PowerBook G4, even though you could attach almost anything with firewire.

A hot swapable drive bay could allow for 2 batteries (redesign the batteries), and future implementation of a superdrive.

I'm skeptical about the superdrive, though, because if I remember correctly, when it first debuted, the drive itself was bigger (longer) than other CD drives. I do also believe that it would use way too much power, and that it would heat up a lot.

These are just my opinions, but I don't think that many people would mind a little thicker TiBook for a hot-swappable drive bay...

greg6028

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2002
Cedar Rapids
External DVD Burner?

Originally posted by britboy
if these rumours are close to being true, i'll be very tempted to sell my rev a and get a new model :) I do quite a bit of video editing for church/friends/family, so having a dvd burner on a portable would be sweet. I mostly use my tibook plugged in, so i wouldn't be worried about the battery usage of a superdrive.

Now what was my ebay password.... :D

Are you currently using an ext. DVD burner with your G4 Powerbook?
I am looking to do the same, what hardware and software are you using?

Greg

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
OK, for those who are asking "what do we need to burn DVDs in a portable for anyways.." The answer is, most of the people doing it would not be doing it at the beach, but at home at school, or at the office. Burning DVDs may take a while, and I'm sure people won't be doing it in coffee houses, but there's no reason they wouldn't do it in other locations where they tend to spend 1/3 of their weekdays (like work). It's just another option for more efficient use of time.. why have to go home to burn that DVD for a coworker or your video class professor if they can have it before you leave for the day? :)

To give an example from my own situation, I HATE desktops. I will never have anotherone if its possible. Why buy a bulky desklamp if you can have a svelt little book shaped thing that does everything a desktop can do, BUT it goes with you everywhere.. There's no point to having a shelf filler if it can move more easily for working at other locations. It's likely I would burn DVDs at home, but on a TiBook.. sitting right where otherwise a desktop would have been in the old days.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
apollo chip is a must, i think!

Considering that the Apollo chip is already in the new powermacs, i cant see why Apple wouldnt put it into the new Ti.

800 seems the logical speed bump if you use the recent trends in speed changes as a point of departure, but I think that 1 ghz will be the high end.
Apple will just take out the Apollo from the powermac and slap that baby into the Ti.
No fuss or bother.

to really call the Ti the power house that it deserves to be called, it needs to be bumped to 1 ghz. I think that Apple is going to go for speed and power this year to make up for produciton problems etc.

When the powerbook goes 1 ghz. I will be going to the nearest Apple store to lay down my $3000.00 with a large smile on my face!

Which is the best way to make a transaction, ask any lady of the night.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
I really highly doubt a 1ghz Tibook.. only because i'm a pessimistic (is that how u spell that?) person. However, just the thought of it is making me drool.. :p~~

And, like you Grokgod, I will also be going to the nearest Apple store and getting one with a big smile. Actually, I'll probably just order one from the school store :)

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Re: External DVD Burner?

Originally posted by greg6028

Are you currently using an ext. DVD burner with your G4 Powerbook?
I am looking to do the same, what hardware and software are you using?

Greg

No, i've been converting to VCD. The quality isn't as good as i'd like though; i'd prefer to keep the dv quality.

Hardware: the VST Smartdisk that apple were giving away as an offer last year.
Software: iMovie (initially), fcp, after effects.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Re: Not all very sound moves IMHO

Originally posted by gregorypierce
An increase in speed does make sense as does bundling in BlueTooth - but BlueTooth is soooo young that I don't see the value add of putting it in now - best to keep those extra dollars in profit margin on the machine.

Bluetooth has been around since the mid nineties, but I do agree with you.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
bluetooth good

Bluetooth makes sense for portables. The fewer cables, cradles, and whatnot I carry with my iBook the better. My iBook can look rather hideous when I have a mouse, ethernet, headphone, firewire external drive, and security cable all attached to the side. I wouldn't mind reducing a few of those.

I dream of the day when I can get wireless electric power to my ibook. Then we'll truly be cable-free...

Biggles

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Ohio
hey i gotta question for all you "all-knowing, big cheeses of the Mac world". I'm really very interested in a TiBook, but it only lacks one thing: the dvd burning capabilities. I love making short movies with my friends (edited with iMovie of course) and i would love to use iDVD to create an awesome DVD. But what Im wondering is if its possible to use iDVD with certain external drives? Or would i just have to use Toast to burn em?

And yes i know i could do all that stuff right now with a new iMac, but i really have my eyes on a laptop right now. I mean i love using my computer, but wouldnt it be better if you could take your little machine outside on a warm day and type up a paper or surf the web on your back porch? or talk to all your friends on AIM while lying down on the couch watching Simpsons? I thought so :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.