Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple has announced a Tiger Early Start Kit for developers when signing up for ADC Select Membership.

The $500 program offers benefits of ADC Select Membership as well as pre-release versions of Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), Xcode 2.0 and a Tiger developer training DVD with sessions for WWDC 2004.

The site still reports that Tiger will be released in the "first half of 2005".

klaus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
Belgium
Still on schedule, so it seems

Well, so they are still on schedule, I bet they will release it in may or june, that's about at the 'end' of the first half of 2005. It won't be much sooner i'm afraid

but hey, looking forward to it!

dootbran

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
I love the stuff Apple offers to developers for less than the cost of Visual Studio :D

This one is really tempting!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
mrmacman said:
"Because at Apple, we know you have $500 dollars for a partially buggy prerelease of an OS, right?"

it is "for developers" who would benefit from haveing a prerelease even if it is buggy, plus you join the developer program, you get more than just a preview of Tiger

jeffmc425

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2003
Seattle, Wa
MrMacman said:
"Because at Apple, we know you have $500 dollars for a partially buggy prerelease of an OS, right?"

:D ;)

Oh c'mon. For us developers, this is great. We get to see some of the new APIs in the OS early, and get our projects in order to ship on, or near release date. This is not meant for the casual user, or for the "i gotta have all the latest and greatest" crowd. :cool:

haddiscoe

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2003
cheese1113 said:
"GM versions of Mac OS X v10.4 and Xcode 2.0 when available"

What Does that mean????

it means you get GM versions of Mac OSX v10.4 and Xcode 2.0 when they're available.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
Does anyone know if this also applies to the $99 student developer membership? I was looking at getting it but I'm kinda "in the dark" of what the students actually get. I mean, I don't have $500 just sitting around. Does anyone know what's offered throught the student developer membership?

Thanks

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
MrMacman said:
You say that with a smiley, but it still smacks of TROLL. Please, don't.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
"GM" stands for "Gold Master" - GM versions of software are what is sold when it is first made available.

In other words, you'll get a retail copy of Tiger once they're done beta testing.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I don't see the point. Anyone who was a select developer around WWDC time already has a copy of Tiger.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
MrMacman said:

First its not a bad deals it rather good if you are a developer. For $500 USD you get some extras and you also get the GM version.

To a developer this price is peanuts. :D

Good show on the OS front Apple. :)

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Blackheart said:
Does anyone know if this also applies to the $99 student developer membership? I was looking at getting it but I'm kinda "in the dark" of what the students actually get. I mean, I don't have $500 just sitting around. Does anyone know what's offered throught the student developer membership?

Thanks
nope. the student developer account is pretty bare-bones. the biggest benefit is the hardware discount. you get a monthly mailing+CD of the latest developer tools, but no previews of OS X. you have to pony up a lot more for that.

sandsl

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2002
Blackheart said:

Thanks

Students don't get this package unless they pay $500 like everyone else. Access to Tiger, & related info isn't included with student membership.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
So tell me, does this mean some kind soul is going to give us a complete detailed breakdown of what Tiger does over Panther...how everything works and looks. Forgive my ignorance of these things... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.