Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Safari on Windows and Tiger in early 05

I just noticed someone mention iLife for Windows in this discussion, and that seems like such an obvious thing for Apple to do (charging Windows users x2 what Mac users pay, of course. Have to make them pay for such goodness on crappy hardware and OS :D )

I've also seen some discussions here and there concerning Safari being ported to Windows (mostly speculative, although some people posting seem to have a sort of in-the-know air about them.) Seems to me that, given all the frustration Windows users are reporting using IE, that a Windows iLife suite with Safari included (as well as being a free download) would be a massive hit for Apple.

I wonder. It's unlikely that iLife on Windows would discourage Mac users from buying Macs in the future (iLife on Windows wouldn't be nearly enough to bring me over to Windows, especially if it's still free with each new Mac) and I doubt it would drain any hardware sales from Apple. If anything, it would be yet another example of Apple's commitment to quality that might entice more Windows users to switch, like the iPod is reportedly doing.

FWIW, I think a Tiger release in January would be unsurprising. Apple unveiled it so early, and they usually don't show the OS until it's pretty close to release. IMO, they wouldn't have shown it off if an early 2005 release wasn't likely.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
johnnyjibbs said:
I certainly hope and won't think iLife will ever go to Windows. iTunes is different because of the iPod (music match was rubbish). But iLife is part of the philosophy of Mac and Mac OS X and having that on Windows will remove most of the incentive of getting a Mac.
I wonder, seriously - if iLife was on Windows when you last bought a Mac, would you have bought a Windows PC instead? You personally (talking to anyone who says iLife on Windows would affect Mac sales).

I know I can think that some people might not have bought a Mac if they had iLife on Windows... it's just that everyone I know who has bought a Mac would have bought a Mac regardless.

On another note - with Apple's iTunes/iPod deal with HP, it's possible HP would be interested in Apple software for their Media Centre PCs. Apple may have made a good deal to make that happen.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
melgross said:
Don't forget that iLife can have Tiger specific features and hooks to 64 bit even if it comes out first. After all, it's not as though Apple doesn't know what would be available in Tiger.

That's the purpose of the developer's conference. To let them start working on their apps in advance so that when the new OS comes out, they will be ready shortly after.

A selling point for Tiger is that it will enhance the new iLife.

That was the purpose of THIS year's WWDC. It was all about Tiger seminars so developers could be ready with news apps to exploit it upon release.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Wouldn't Tiger have to be in a pretty advanced state of develeopment for them to confidentaly preview it at the last WWDC without the fear of experiencing some horribly embarassing crash live on stage?

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
caveman_uk said:
I doubt Apple would give themselves a 1H '05 release window for Tiger just to release it in January. I for one would rather Apple throughly beta test Tiger before release so we don't have the problems we had with Panther and the Firewire drives/Filevault issues that necessitated the hasty .1 release.

As it has been pointed out many times the firewire drive issue was a bug in the firmware of the drives themselves. Not Panther. Jaguar may have been able to work around the bug, but that still does not make it a Panther bug.

This is just like people claiming Firefox can't render pages correctly when they don't work like they do in IE, when the only reason they work in IE is because IE does not handle them correctly.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
I don't get it. A month ago Phil Schiller, in demoing Tiger, simply said Tiger was still a year out. Which makes sense since they announced when Panther came out that subsequent releases would be slowing to more of a 1.5 year to 2 year interval now that OSX has matured.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
I agree with those who said:

• iLife at MWSF (consumer show, and Apple has to have something to unveil)

• Tiger at WWDC (or at least release date announced) (developer conference)

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
GregA said:
I wonder, seriously - if iLife was on Windows when you last bought a Mac, would you have bought a Windows PC instead? You personally (talking to anyone who says iLife on Windows would affect Mac sales).

I know I can think that some people might not have bought a Mac if they had iLife on Windows... it's just that everyone I know who has bought a Mac would have bought a Mac regardless.

On another note - with Apple's iTunes/iPod deal with HP, it's possible HP would be interested in Apple software for their Media Centre PCs. Apple may have made a good deal to make that happen.

In the end it's Apple's job to be successful and make their shareholders money. Not be a platform elitist. If being a software company over a hardware company can make them more successful in the long run, then that will most likely be the eventuality. In creating software that is so good it might convince people to buy macs, they've become one of the best software manufacturers out there, competing directly with microsoft and Adobe. If they released software for PCs they could instantly expand their potentila market 90percent. I think operating costs would have to be less, without creating hardware, and profits would be higher as a software company alone.

It has to be tempting, and you have to figure that the apps are designed with other platforms in mind. Ditto with OSX. Makes you think. Why worry about hardware when you have the potential to dominate the software and gadget market? Imagine what kind of PS killer app they might create if they didn't have to worry about stepping on Adobe's toes? Same with office. Makes ya think.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
The danger of a date in a software title.....

(sorry did not read all the posts, got halfway and had to say something!)

I never did like the idea of adding a year to a software title. Why would you buy iLife 04 in 2005? Wouldn't you wait to see if there was going to be a 05 version? It also sounds out-of-date....I was using Windows 95 in my office in 1998! However, if Apple keeps the date in the title then expect iLife 05 at the MYSF 05. I don't know what iApp will/could be added to iLife, but I am sure apple will give us something...I just can't think what!

I think that the PB will also go duel processors (G4 for now, no G5) and that will mean that the pro-line are all duel processors with the iMac, iBook and eMac all single processors. This will help differentiate the two lines and allow the fastest processers in all machines (just 2 in the pro-line!)

Just my 2.347 yen!

sord

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
MacSA said:
Wouldn't Tiger have to be in a pretty advanced state of develeopment for them to confidentaly preview it at the last WWDC without the fear of experiencing some horribly embarassing crash live on stage?
Reminds me a lot of a different OS...or was it two of them...its a good thing Gates didnt consider that when he unvailed 98 and ME, I enjoyed his embarasment.

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
rdowns said:
That was the purpose of THIS year's WWDC. It was all about Tiger seminars so developers could be ready with news apps to exploit it upon release.

I know, I wasn't talking about next years.

SallyWattle

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2002
Australia
iLife for PC

liketom said:
Now that is an idea !!! iLife for Windows , like iTunes is making PC users think Twice now about going Mac maybe iLife apps would push them that little bit more to buy a Mac.

if not, then the money Apple could make from PC users must be worth it .

Why would they buy a mac if they have iLife.

Garage band would not be for windows because they don't make Logic for windows.

Try rearranging that last line: "Window's don't make logic"

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I think next year will be the year of software for Apple.

It all will start with Tiger, and coreaudio and corevideo. Tiger has to come first.

iLife will be demo'd, but not released until after Tiger.
Keynote will also be demo'd, but not released until after Tiger.
Same for the pro apps.

Of course, there is the option that Apple waits on the major upgrades to iLife until 06 to take advantage of Tiger, but I doubt it. It'll force the double upgrade. Plus, the wintel guys are catching up with iLife and the 04 upgrade was pretty anemic.

Of course, to argue my own point, Apple may wait until 06 when Tiger has had a year of adoption and bug fixing. But I doubt it. With the iPod & the new iMac bringing switchers, they need iLife to absolutely rock.

Rodan

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2004
I don't know if it would qualify for iLife, but an app for basic website creation would be nice.
Just about everyone with an ISP gets space for a small website, but hardly anyone uses it, because they don't know how.
How about iWeb?

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Don't know if it was mentioned before, but if iLife 05 is released before Tiger then this means no integration of core video or core image, which would be sad because these two could add sooo much to iLife.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
iWeb -- what do you want to do

A couple of people have posted a desire to have a feature in Tiger to easily publish a web site.

I have some experience with this & would like to hear some more details.

First, Apple's .Mac provides you with a limited web site capability (picture albums, hand-written web pages, drop-box, etc.). Apple makes some operations, such as publishing a slide show from iPhoto, quite easy because they automate the publishing process and integrate your pictures with pre-written web pages.

1) What do you want to do with a web site -- maybe just more storage for the things available from .Mac? Some candidates are:
- Photo Albums / Slideshow
- A/V Albums / Playlists
- Blog
- Family tree
- email
- Database/Search Applications - Recipes, etc.
- Shopping cart

2) Do you want to be able to host a web site on your machine? -- Most things you need are included in OS X or available free, but it means leaving your computer on and connected to the Internet. Realistically, this means a second phone line or a high-speed cable or DSL connection $30-$50 month. If you are going to publish a lot of web pages and/or have a lot of pictures or data, you will probably need to invest in an external hard drive.

Surprisingly, you can host quite a nice web site on any hardware capable of running OS X.

3) If you want to host the site externally, there will likely be an annual or monthly fee. This becomes more complex because, right away, you need to decide what database to use, what programming languages to use and a lot of other details. A typical external site will cost $10-$30 per month.

4) Formatting information to display on a web site is not very difficult, but it does involve some understanding of a specialized language, HTML (HyperText Markup Language). There are some GUI programs that generate HTML pages, but they can be more difficult to learn than the HTML language, itself. You can learn HTML basics in a few hours.

5) More involved web pages usually require some ability to program and manipulate a database. So , you must learn a "programming" language. There are several choices, but the easiest programming languages are extensions to HTML. You use HTML to format and present the data in your web pages. You use a "programming" language to retrieve and manipulate the data to be published.

6) Many of the "applications" that people run on web sites (Bog, Photo Album) are available -- some are free or available at a reasonable price. You can use these, as-is, or as a base to customize the application to your needs.

One complexity is that all the pieces do not come with OS X. Things such as a database, an easy web "programming" language, and the applications" are available from 3-rd parties.

Putting all the pieces together is not difficult, but there a lot of details (a lot of chances to make mistakes).

If there is enough demand, an iWeb package could be written to provide the most-desired applications and the components necessary to run them. iWeb could be written in such a way that it could be hosted on your computer or by a 3rd-party host service.

I would like to hear any thoughts or ideas-- post on this list or email me directly at dicklacara@mac.com.

Dick

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
PlaceofDis said:
i am actually planning on buying iLife '05 so i hope there are some good improvements in there, i didnt get '04 so it should be a worthwhile upgrade anyways...but the more improvements and features the better
I'm also planning on getting iLife '05 since I skipped '04. I wonder if Apple's going to introduce another new application, like they did with '04 (GarageBand).

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
dicklacara said:
A couple of people have posted a desire to have a feature in Tiger to easily publish a web site.

I have some experience with this & would like to hear some more details.

First, Apple's .Mac provides you with a limited web site capability (picture albums, hand-written web pages, drop-box, etc.). Apple makes some operations, such as publishing a slide show from iPhoto, quite easy because they automate the publishing process and integrate your pictures with pre-written web pages.

1) What do you want to do with a web site -- maybe just more storage for the things available from .Mac? Some candidates are:
- Photo Albums / Slideshow
- A/V Albums / Playlists
- Blog
- Family tree
- email
- Database/Search Applications - Recipes, etc.
- Shopping cart

2) Do you want to be able to host a web site on your machine? -- Most things you need are included in OS X or available free, but it means leaving your computer on and connected to the Internet. Realistically, this means a second phone line or a high-speed cable or DSL connection $30-$50 month. If you are going to publish a lot of web pages and/or have a lot of pictures or data, you will probably need to invest in an external hard drive.

Surprisingly, you can host quite a nice web site on any hardware capable of running OS X.

3) If you want to host the site externally, there will likely be an annual or monthly fee. This becomes more complex because, right away, you need to decide what database to use, what programming languages to use and a lot of other details. A typical external site will cost $10-$30 per month.

4) Formatting information to display on a web site is not very difficult, but it does involve some understanding of a specialized language, HTML (HyperText Markup Language). There are some GUI programs that generate HTML pages, but they can be more difficult to learn than the HTML language, itself. You can learn HTML basics in a few hours.

5) More involved web pages usually require some ability to program and manipulate a database. So , you must learn a "programming" language. There are several choices, but the easiest programming languages are extensions to HTML. You use HTML to format and present the data in your web pages. You use a "programming" language to retrieve and manipulate the data to be published.

6) Many of the "applications" that people run on web sites (Bog, Photo Album) are available -- some are free or available at a reasonable price. You can use these, as-is, or as a base to customize the application to your needs.

One complexity is that all the pieces do not come with OS X. Things such as a database, an easy web "programming" language, and the applications" are available from 3-rd parties.

Putting all the pieces together is not difficult, but there a lot of details (a lot of chances to make mistakes).

If there is enough demand, an iWeb package could be written to provide the most-desired applications and the components necessary to run them. iWeb could be written in such a way that it could be hosted on your computer or by a 3rd-party host service.

I would like to hear any thoughts or ideas-- post on this list or email me directly at dicklacara@mac.com.

Dick
It's been rumored that numbers 2 and 5 will become easier with Tiger (.Mac domains for #2, and a built-in database engine for #5).

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
wrldwzrd89 said:
I'm also planning on getting iLife '05 since I skipped '04. I wonder if Apple's going to introduce another new application, like they did with '04 (GarageBand).

I hope so. Apple need to continue to innovate if they are to make it an attractive upgrade, else arguably improvements will be seen as having to be free upgrades unless they significantly raise the bar.

I hope for a new piece of the jogsaw puzzle, as well as greater database like relationships between iCal, Mail, iphoto. iChat...

drastic

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2004
iWeb? iWeb!

drastic said:
A new iApp I'd really like to see in iLife '05? An advanced (and supereasy) tool to build websites. Homepage is too basic and it's linked to iDisk.

"iPages"?
"SafariWeaver"?
"HomePageDeluxe"?
"GarageSite"?
"WebMACster"?

This would be a logical step in Apple's philosophy:
ENJOY IT --> DO IT YOURSELF --> SHARE WITH FRIENDS

iTUNES --> GARAGEBAND --> CD-R
DVD PLAYER --> iMOVIE --> iDVD
PICTURE VIEWER --> iPHOTO --> ORDER PRINTS
SAFARI --> NEW iAPP --> INTERNET

...And then Steve Jobs says: "They all work together seamlessly!" :D

I had in mind a "Lite" version of Dreamweaver, a web design software "for dummies" :eek: , with a Mac/iLife touch :cool:.

:( Sadly, I think that:
iPhotoshop=war with Adobe
iWeb=war with Macromedia

Is Apple's army ready to turn allies into enemies?

Who knows... :rolleyes:

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
wrldwzrd89 said:
It's been rumored that numbers 2 and 5 will become easier with Tiger (.Mac domains for #2, and a built-in database engine for #5).

Hadn't heard about the .Mac domains---- interesting, but it would need to go thru Apple's DNS servers. And, would it require a .Mac subscription?

On the DB -- Current OS X Server ships with MySQL pre-installed (a back version installed in a non-standard location). MySQL is popular but messy to install and administer correctly. The biggest drawback is the MySQL license -- in order to redistribute MySQL, you have to either 1) Purchase a redistro license or 2) distribute the source of your app.

There are other choices that may be better, IBM's Cloudscape, for example -- no redistro license or open-source requirement.

Dick

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
dicklacara said:
Hadn't heard about the .Mac domains---- interesting, but it would need to go thru Apple's DNS servers. And, would it require a .Mac subscription?

On the DB -- Current OS X Server ships with MySQL pre-installed (a back version installed in a non-standard location). MySQL is popular but messy to install and administer correctly. The biggest drawback is the MySQL license -- in order to redistribute MySQL, you have to either 1) Purchase a redistro license or 2) distribute the source of your app.

There are other choices that may be better, IBM's Cloudscape, for example -- no redistro license or open-source requirement.

Dick
What I've heard about .Mac domains is this:
Now, you'll have two options for your web site if you're a .Mac subscriber. You can put a site up on your iDisk, like you've done in the past, and the current URL will still work. For example, my .Mac web page can be found at http://homepage.mac.com/wrldwzrd89/. With .Mac domains, http://wrldwzrd89.mac.com/ will become valid, and will point to your Mac! (replace wrldwzrd89, my member name, with your own).

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
drastic said:
I had in mind a "Lite" version of Dreamweaver, a web design software "for dummies" :eek: , with a Mac/iLife touch :cool:.

Such a application is already available. Its called freeway express. Freeway

My guess is that we see iLife 05 in January and in June Tiger.

I hope for iWorks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.