Tiger Sierra Theme Version 2 Released

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by swamprock, Nov 21, 2017.

1. swamprock, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017

swamprock macrumors 6502a

swamprock

Yes, it's finally out-

http://atari.vg-network.com/tigertheme/

[​IMG]

PLEASE read the readme completely before installing. Instructions, credits, thanks, etc are all included in that file.

This theme isn't completely... um... complete, but much of the heavy lifting is finished. Now it's just a matter of filling in the little nooks and crannies that still need theming, and correcting any issues that may have been missed.

Installing icons will require using CandyBar 2.6.1 for now. There are just too many icons to change, which precludes the use of a script to do so. I have included the iContainers for use with CandyBar to do so. These will also theme the Finder sidebar icons.

I left wallpaper out of this release, due to the lack of resolution independence in Tiger. There is a way to blur and install the right size wallpaper for the login screen, so if anyone wants to know how to do it, just ask here.

If anyone wants to take on putting a better installation process together, by all means go for it!

Please use this thread to report any problems, ask for help, comments, or any other issues that may arise...

... and enjoy!

2. zappaesque macrumors member

zappaesque

Brilliant work, Brian! I didn't get to test the last test release, but I see that it has come a long way since the first few test releases. Very nice!

3. AL1630 macrumors 6502

AL1630

Just tested it out, and it looks very nice!

4. AphoticD, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017

AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

Fantastic work swamprock!

Picture 2.jpg

The installer script works great and couldn't be any easier. Well done.

Curiously, my Finder sidebar icons didn't appear to update. I had the previous theme (and test files) installed on this G5. I'll try installing on a clean copy of Tiger next.

-AphoticD

EDIT: Got it. I had to use CandyBar to re-install the System icons - Here's my Sawtooth with a splash of new [Graphite] paint :cool:

Picture 1.jpg

5. swamprock, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017

swamprock thread starter macrumors 6502a

swamprock

Looks great!

CandyBar 2 behavior is a bit strange. Sometimes, it seems like it didn't theme certain icons. After a number of reboots, the icons that it didn't seem to change are suddenly changed. Maybe it's due to Tiger; perhaps there's an icon cache somewhere that I don't know about.

There are a number of apps that, if installed, will have their icons changed/updated by CandyBar- Photoshop CS2, Spotify, xPad, Office 2008, iWork suite, Filezilla, TFF 7450, Coreplayer, PPCAppStore, and a few others that I can't remember at the moment.

6. swamprock thread starter macrumors 6502a

swamprock

7. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Great work swamprock! Looks quite nice, glad it wasn't left in that incomplete state.

8. zappaesque macrumors member

zappaesque

I discovered that if you swap the extras.rsrc in the Leopard theme with the one in Brian’s Tiger theme that the progress indicator bars change to more accurate colors in the Leopard theme. Pretty cool :)

9. swamprock thread starter macrumors 6502a

swamprock

It should work with SST's Leopard theme just fine. There isn't much difference between the two Extras.rsrc files, except that Leopard only uses them for progress bars and arrow/arrow bar resources (and maybe some other minor resources; maybe arrows. Not sure), and uses the two Artfiles for the rest of the resources. Tiger uses the Extras file for everything...

10. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

That’s cool. From what I understand, @swamprock did a lot of fine tuning to get the progress bars to look right.

11. CooperBox macrumors 65816

CooperBox

From your screenshots it looks very impressive.
    Have just tried to install on 2 TiBooks, a 550MHz and 1GHz both running OS 10.4.11, unfortunately failed on both, so guess i'm doing something fundamentally wrong.
    With no apps open and a print-out of your procedure, following your sequence (and cutting/pasting the command sudo ./install.sh into terminal) shows this:
    Ti550DskTop1.jpg

Repeated the procedure again, this time typing the sudo command into terminal. Same result & same message "....command nor found".

Then attempted the same on a 1GHz TiBook. Same problem, two attempts-
    Ti1GhzDskTop1.jpg Ti1GHzDskTop2.jpg

Any ideas what could be wrong? Currently using the 1GHz TiBook to compose this reply, and it's generally pretty reliable. I hesitate to say the same about myself.
    Fwiw, both were running from ac power, with current time & date set automatically. The 1GHz model has an SSD installed but I don't really see that being an issue.

12. swamprock, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017

swamprock

Follow the same procedure, then, before attempting to install, type "sudo chmod +x install.sh" and hit return. Type your password if prompted. Then type "sudo chmod +x uninstall.sh" and hit return. Type your password again if prompted. Then continue to install from there. The procedure to do this is outlined in the troubleshooting section of the readme.

What's going on is that the install and uninstall scripts on your system don't have execute flags set for some reason. This procedure fixes that.

I did a minor update to fix a typo in the readme, and I think that archiving the theme within El Capitan may have reset the permissions.

13. CooperBox macrumors 65816

CooperBox

Ok thks, I'll give that a try.

14. swamprock thread starter macrumors 6502a

swamprock

I did my best. Unfortunately, some apps have their own resources that mess with the progress bars. There will be white areas above and below the bars follow the progress bar. This can particularly be seen in Software Update and Carbon Copy Cloner. It's a minor thing, though, and I'm not that bothered about it. The theme is always going to have these little quirks.

15. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

CooperBox, it looks like you might be hitting enter after typing in “cd “. The step of dragging and dropping the folder onto the Terminal window is to append the path to the same line as “cd “.

So the command in your case is getting split in two and not executing.

16. CooperBox macrumors 65816

CooperBox

That was EXACTLY the problem. Now installed perfectly. Brilliant! Many thanks for all your efforts, and to others involved. It's given my Tiger installs a new look and life renewal.

Coming to you from a relooked Tiger G4 Cube. :)

Cube dsktop.jpg

17. swamprock thread starter macrumors 6502a

swamprock

Wow. I guess I should have looked closer at his screenshots. Nice catch.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 26, 2017 ---
    Looks great!

18. z970mp, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp

macOS Tiger.png

Popped into my head, then took an hour to throw this together because I thought it would maybe go well with the theme somehow. Perhaps for the About This Mac window? The installer?

And before anyone asks, it's meant to portray a rough cut appearance. Nice metaphor for community projects like these, too. Also a little artsy, I think.

Anyone here may use this icon however you wish. :)

19. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

@swamprock

I don't normally go for Tiger, but I have a G3 server at home running OS X Tiger Server 10.4.11.

Do you know if your theme would work on Tiger Server?

Just giving this some thought. The server is headless, meaning I'd only see the theme when I logged in via VNC so ultimately this doesn't matter but I was curious.

Thanks!

20. swamprock thread starter macrumors 6502a

swamprock

Hmmm dunno. Never tried it myself. I would assume that MOST of it would work, but being a server OS, there might be some issues with some of the security items that the theme modifies. I wouldn't try it right now, until I can install and test it myself. I have a copy of Server 10.4.7, and just need the time to test it. I just started a new job, so free time is going to shorten for me in the near future.

21. swamprock, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

swamprock

Ok... I tested the theme installation on Server 10.4.11, and it does work. Even the font change works. The AboutThisMac window will still have the Server graphic, but that's actually an easy change. Everything else seems to work, though. You'll get a few errors during the installation, but there are a few elements missing in Server that are in Client, but no big deal.

So @eyoungren, yes you can install the theme in Server 10.4.11. If you want a different ATM graphic, like the one in the theme, let me know and I'll talk you through it.

EDIT: I just tested CandyBar, and it behaves the same in Server as it does on Client. It'll change most of the icons, but you may have to remove and replace apps in the Dock to get the themed icons to show up. There will be a couple (Terminal, System Preferences) that it won't theme at all, so you'll have to change those manually.

[​IMG]

22. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Cool! Thanks!

Now I just have to decide if I really want to sit there and do this all through VNC. It's a PITA to hook it back up to a monitor because I have to shut it down to install a video card and then divert one of my monitors.

Nice to know it can be done though.

23. swamprock, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019

swamprock

The next release of the theme will include a new Spotlight preference pane icon, which wasn't included in this last release because I couldn't figure out why it didn't change when it was replaced within the prefPane itself. Well, I figured it out today. Since those who installed the theme didn't have this icon included, there's no point in me releasing an updated version with this icon, because it would entail uninstalling, then reinstalling the theme just to change one icon. Since I'd like everyone who installs the theme to be able to completely restore their systems to the default Aqua theme, I won't post how to change the icon at this moment. I'll include it in the next release (with other updates), so that uninstalling and reinstalling an updated theme won't be so painful.

EDIT: I just replaced the original theme archive with the updated one, rather than do a "new" release since the change was pretty much inconsequential.

24. jst333 macrumors newbie

jst333

--- Post Merged, Dec 13, 2017 ---
    Thanks for all your work on this Theme... It is visually Great! And the Tiger G5 Feels so Fresh now. By Chance do you, or anyone else know how I could change the Font system-wide on Leapard? Thanks Again.

25. swamprock, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017

swamprock

That involves booting into Single User mode and replacing it manually. There's a post somewhere here that tells you how to do it. I'll post a link to it as soon as I find it.

EDIT here's what you do (READ THOROUGHLY!! and follow this exactly):

- Download the new system font here: https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/lucidagrande-dfont-zip.667024/

- Unzip it to your desktop. Reboot.

- Once you hear the bootup chime, boot into single user mode by holding Command-S

- Once the Bash prompt comes up, type "mount –uw /" (without the quotes)

- Type this: "mv /System/Library/Fonts/LucidaGrande.dfont /System/Library/Fonts/LucidaGrande.dfont.backup" (without the quotes). Hit Return.

- Type this: "cp /Users/yourusername/Desktop/LucidaGrande.dfont /System/Library/Fonts/LucidaGrande.dfont" (without the quotes). Hit Return.

- Reboot by simply typing "reboot" (no quotes). Your system font will be changed.

- It'd be wise to do a permissions repair at this time.

BE SURE to replace "yourusername" (in bold above) with YOUR user name in the line where you copy the font to /System/Library/Fonts or it will not work and your system will be temporarily hosed.

The font that you downloaded will be San Francisco, and the only way to get it to work as a system font is to completely replace Lucida Grande in /System/Library/Fonts, which is what that file does. We back up the original just in case you change your mind later.

If you want to revert back to Lucida Grande, you'll have to follow different steps, but that bridge can be crossed if need be at a later time.

Disclaimer- I am not responsible if you hose your system by taking these steps and something goes wrong.