Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook today announced that it's bringing Reels, its short-form videos that were previously only available on the Instagram platform, to its main Facebook app on iOS and Android in the United States.

facebook-reels.png

While the two share the same name and style, Reels content on Instagram and Facebook will differ. Facebook says it is testing the ability for Instagram Reels content creators to share their Reels to the Facebook audience, but doing so is entirely in a creator's control. Reels on Facebook can consist of effects, text, music, and more. Facebook's concept of Reels is wholly inspired by TikTok and follows its lead in featuring short, "entertaining," and trend-making videos.
With the ability to create reels and have their Instagram reels suggested to people on Facebook, creators — whether they’re just starting out or already have a large following — will have more ways to express themselves, grow their communities and reach new audiences.

Reels on Facebook can consist of music, audio, effects, and more. You can find them in News Feed or in Groups, and when viewing a reel on Facebook, you can easily follow the creator directly from the video, like and comment on it, or share it with friends.
Facebook also today announced it would be offering a new bonus program for content creators in hopes of spurring-up more Reels content on its platform. Reels in Facebook will be available starting today in the United States on iOS and Android.

Article Link: TikTok-Inspired 'Reels' Videos Are Coming to Facebook in the U.S. on iOS

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Amazed that people still even use facebook. Delete that site already and let the world move on to other things that don't want all your personal data.

I really wish I could but some programs I belong to insist on having live communications and post updates in private Facebook groups instead of using their own platform, Zoom, or emails. The groups are where they “create community” for their participants. I’m beyond over all of the ads you have to wade past to navigate to get to where you want to go. That bothers me more than the privacy issue.

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
I'm sure this will get about as much use as Facebook Stories.

Leave Instagram to counter TikTok. Facebook doesn't need this.

fc4090

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
I didn't know that I am beta tester, for last couple of weeks I did watch few "Reels". Most of the "Reels" posts are direct copy from TikTok. I am at CA/US, iPhone (before 12PM, now 13PM), iOS 15.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Amazed that people still even use facebook. Delete that site already and let the world move on to other things that don't want all your personal data.

Amazed that anyone uses TikTok, why not just write the Chinese Communist Party a check, be sure to include your face, name, email address, oh wait. Not that Facebook is much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDJim

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Oh great. More junk to filter out of my Facebook.

I only keep it for keeping in touch with family. I can't wait to one day delete it entirely. Full of loonies and conspiracy theorist nonsense.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
"We promise never ever to use facial recognition software on you or your friends in those videos. We also promise to never ever use software to recognize brand names in your videos to shove ads down your throat."

There are reasons why I don't use Facebook anymore and will never use TikTok.

Reactions: icanhazmac

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Take irresponsible money grabbing population manipulating people like Mark Zuckerberg, Jack Dorsey, Brian Armstrong,, etc.

Put them on a plane.

Fly over a place full of terrorists that they helped with their internet hate machines and money laundering systems.

Drop them there.

Forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.