Tim Cook and Samsung CEO to Discuss Patent Dispute One Last Time Today Ahead of Jury Deliberations

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple and Samsung having concluded their presentations for the jury in the high-profile U.S. court case over patent and design issues, Bloomberg reports that Apple CEO Tim Cook and Samsung CEO Kwon Oh Hyun will talk one last time in an effort to settle or at least narrow their differences before jury deliberations begin as soon as tomorrow.
The companies' lawyers will report to U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh in federal court in San Jose, California, on the outcome of today's telephone discussion between Apple's Tim Cook and Samsung's Kwon Oh Hyun, according to the person, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private. [...]

As testimony in the trial drew to a close, Koh asked that the CEOs talk, and said she was "pathologically optimistic" they could settle claims over patents for smartphones and tablet computers.
Senior executives of the two companies met several times leading up to the trial and were unable to reach an agreement, but Samsung is now operating under new CEO Kwon, who was elevated to the position in early June as part of an executive reshuffling.

Apple estimates that it should be owed roughly $2.5 billion in damages based on sales of Samsung devices it claims infringed upon Apple's patents and trade dress, while Samsung claims that Apple owes approximately $400 million in licensing fees for 3G-related patents based on a royalty rate of 2.4% per unit sold. Apple has claimed that the licensing fees for the standards-essential patents should be significantly lower.

Article Link: Tim Cook and Samsung CEO to Discuss Patent Dispute One Last Time Today Ahead of Jury Deliberations

Boiler

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
Competition

Though I support Apple, I don't mind the imitations and copy-cats that put competitive pressure for Apple to step up its game each year.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
This would make for a cool ars movie for geeks.

----------

This Wole ordeal would make a cool ars movie for geeks.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
Though I support Apple, I don't mind the imitations and copy-cats that put competitive pressure for Apple to step up its game each year.
You can pressure Apple more if you innovate and it would be just and fair. If Samsung came out with a paper thin phone that is bendable and will never break and has 7 days of battery life and the largest app store... Apple would be sweating.

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
"Apple estimates that it should be owed roughly $2.5 billion in damages based on sales of Samsung devices it claims infringed upon Apple's patents and trade dress, while Samsung claims that Apple owes approximately $400 million in licensing fees for 3G-related patents based on a royalty rate of 2.4% per unit sold."

Ok, so it's settled. Samsung, you pay Apple $2.1Billion and Apple, you get back to making cool stuff that Samsung can copy.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
There are only so many ways to design a four sided object with a touch screen interface. Why aren't they going after all the other manufacturers that have 'stolen' the idea?
First, this is a four-sided object:

Second, they aren't going after the other manufacturers that have made tablets or tablet-style smartphones because they don't sell as much as Samsung. Samsung has deep pockets and big sales numbers. As a competitive move, forcing Samsung to go back to the drawing board and redesign their phones would be a huge setback for Samsung and a huge win for Apple.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I say put these f'ers in a cage and let them duke it out. If they want to wear khakis and a polo while doing it then fine.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
After the judge said that Apple's lawyers must have been smoking crack if they thought she would allow one of their latest stalling tactics.

This isn't as clean cut as either side is making out.

There are only so many ways to design a four sided object with a touch screen interface. Why aren't they going after all the other manufacturers that have 'stolen' the idea?
Perhaps it's not as simple as you make it out to be? Anyone who thinks this trial is about rounded rectangles is obviously drinking the Samsung kool-aid.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
First, this is a four-sided object: Image

Second, they aren't going after the other manufacturers that have made tablets or tablet-style smartphones because they don't sell as much as Samsung. Samsung has deep pockets and big sales numbers. As a competitive move, forcing Samsung to go back to the drawing board and redesign their phones would be a huge setback for Samsung and a huge win for Apple.
That's a four sided dice :) Those babies were thrown around by D&D nerds way before all this all these fancy phones.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
They Should Settle

The outcome is not going to be favorable for either company and it won't hurt either financially. There is nothing to be gained litigating about old obsolete products.

Essentially this law suit brought by AAPL will force the manufacturers like MOTO, Sammy, HTC, LG and Sony to rely entirely on Google for the UI and OS. It will unify the Android assault on AAPL. Surely Tim Cook realizes that and it is best to leave Android fragmented.

The only winners will be the bastard army of lawyers earning $400 per hour!

steviec

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2009
and in other news, the man who invented the wheel is now suing everyone who has used his invention. Car manufactures are quickly retrofitting their tires for a more square look. No word from the man who invented the square....

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
but if the competition came up with their own stuff, it would push Apple to do even better.

Apple makes X, Samsung makes X, Apple makes X+1, Samsung makes X+1
vs
Apple makes X, Samsung makes X+1, Apple makes X+2, Samsung makes X+3

the rate of innovation is much slower when all the competition does is copy.

shmonkus

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
United Kingdom
I've been following this quite intently, and I'll eat my shoes if Apple win the full 2.5 billion, as much as I love the company. Samsung (and a lot of other asian companies) seem to have a knack of copyright infringement in one way or another.

It'll be left to the Jury (who hopefully aren't biased and all have Blackberrys) to decide, and even then, I'd be amazed if all of them understood what they were looking at in terms of evidence 100%

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Second, they aren't going after the other manufacturers that have made tablets or tablet-style smartphones because they don't sell as much as Samsung. Samsung has deep pockets and big sales numbers.
O'rly?

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/10/apple-suing-motorola-over-design-of-xoom-tablet/

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/apple-loses-ipad-lawsuit-to-tiny-spanish-tablet-maker-50005915/

Apple has lost a legal fight against a small Spanish tablet manufacturer called NT-K, maker of the NT-K Android tablet.
The NT-K case is especially telling.

ghostface147

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Just for show. It will go to the jury. Then the loser will appeal. It will drag on and on.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
There are only so many ways to design a four sided object with a touch screen interface.
Funny, MS and Apple both manufacture phones and seem to be getting along, not copying each other for the most part and coming to agreements about the rest.

Why aren't they going after all the other manufacturers that have 'stolen' the idea?
If Apple win this, they'll go after other manufactures of Android devices. I think this is actually a war by proxy by Apple against Google.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I still say I hope Apple puts the screws to Samsung and if Apple stole any technological ideas from other companies, that they be screwed too by having to pay royalties.

You have to protect your innovation period.

It doesn't matter the size of the company or not. If you invent something that someone else copies, then protect it. Failure to do so fails your investors, shareholders and yourself. It doesn't matter if Apple is selling 10:1 (pure example) or 10:9 iPhones to Galaxies or tablets or whatever. Protect it.

A similar example is a local company here in Ottawa. They make adult toys which are popular. Almost reaching $100 million in sales. Now other companies are copying it so they're going after those folks. Why? Well duh, because any other copy has the potential to take away sales.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/industry+Ottawa+latest+sector/7108256/story.html

I'll repeat so it doesn't look like I'm the fanboi - if Apple is guilty of stealing ideas/technology then companies should go after them too.

Yes, competition is a great thing, but invent your own and challenge....don't be a copycat by directly copying something. Shows your nothing but a cheap company imho.

Cheers,
Keebler