Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook confirmed on Tuesday during the company's quarterly earnings call that it has sold more than 1 billion iOS devices to date since launching the original iPhone over seven years ago. According to Cook, the impressive milestone, which accounts for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, was reached in November and was helped along by a record-breaking 74.5 million iPhones sold in Q1 2015. The milestone device was kept by Apple and is at the company's Cupertino headquarters.

iphone6-stock.jpg
Cook emphasized that iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus demand was stronger than any other iPhone it has ever released, selling at a pace of roughly 34,000 devices per hour. The success of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus was aided by the widest international rollout of an iOS device to date, with the smartphone launching in more places than ever before and in a total of 130 countries.

1 Billion iOS devices shipped!! - Philip Schiller (@pschiller) January 27, 2015

Article Link: Tim Cook: Apple Has Sold More Than 1 Billion iOS Devices

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
That's impressive, I wonder how many people own iDevices thought, just out of curiosity.
I know many iDevice purchasers are repeat purchasers.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
That's impressive, I wonder how many people own iDevices thought, just out of curiosity.
I know many iDevice purchasers are repeat purchasers.

yeah it's a point... I'd say a lot, however this release has a lot more people upgrading from say iPhone 4/4S' as well as switchers. Whereas, I suspect some releases were basically about fanatics buying the latest Apple gear because they can.

jimac

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2005
Originally Posted by borneo76
geez...that's a lot iphones.....impressive!

Originally Posted by ucfgrad93
That number also includes iPads. Nevertheless, it is still an impressive number.

Originally Posted by chabig
...and iPod Touches.

... and 2nd and 3rd generation Apple TVs (don't know if the original Apple TV was considered an iOS device).

BobKay

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2014
How can they keep the 1 billionth device sold? I mean, if they keep it, they haven't sold it.

wolfaaron

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
How can they keep the 1 billionth device sold? I mean, if they keep it, they haven't sold it.

They can keep the billionth device made (which might be what they mean) but I guess technically they can buy it for themselves too.

lra108

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2013
At the rate Apple's selling iphones,it wont be long before they reach the next billion...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
At the rate Apple's selling iphones,it wont be long before they reach the next billion...

About three years. (More than 95 million devices this quarter, but that was Christmas with a new iPhone, 1 billion in three years is 83 million devices per quarter on average which looks achievable).

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Apple needs to be very careful, I see that iPad sales dropped by a fifth and IPhone sales were so high mainly due to the Chinese market they entered last year. They best hope the sales with everything none IPhone increase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.