Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Aug 3, 2022
Your phrasing could have been better. And no, I don't chose to be on call 24x7 -- I just like to eat and pay my bills.
English is not my native language. 🤷‍♂️
And no, I don't chose to be on call 24x7 -- I just like to eat and pay my bills.
No one tells you to stop working, mate. Just change your job.

Cancelled
Aug 3, 2022
yup…accept when I’m on call once every 4 weeks. My phone literally has like 4 apps. Maps, Two Factor Security apps, and the default apps For email etc. I don’t participate in the garbae that is a destroy to our culture like Facebook, TikTok, Snapshat or whatever the new fad garbage is.

Again, smartphones are amazing technology and can be an awesome thing for society if used responsibly, they unforunately are not in many case. This speaks to the broader internet as well, but everyone having a computer in their pockey amplifies the problems it creates.
Most of us are just addicted to it, so it becomes our habit to constantly check them. I delete the apps that aren't related to work to avoid procrastination, and I only check those social apps once I am free on my laptop.

Reactions: fenderbass146

Mousse

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
There is no way that AR is going to be as fundamental part of peoples everyday lives as the internet is any time soon
Of course not. AI ain't smart enough to enslave us and lock us up in the Matrix yet. Not happening in my lifetime. I tell my kids and grandkids not to worry. Internet darling and all around good guy, the immortal Keanu Reeves, will save them when that day comes.😉

Cancelled
Aug 3, 2022
Easier said than done!
I understand that situation because I just left 2 high-paying jobs for a lower pay one until I resign and work on my own projects. Before that, I prepare by saving up after eliminating unnecessary expenses like paying that are not needed like installments for new devices, clothes, eating out, etc.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2016
Highly doubt it…I’m wishing we could go back to not being connected 24/7 and go back to dumb phones.
You can. I read an article a few months back where dumb phones are making a comeback just for that reason alone. It has experienced tremendous growth in the last 2-3 years.

bobcomer

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2015
I understand that situation because I just left 2 high-paying jobs for a lower pay one until I resign and work on my own projects. Before that, I prepare by saving up after eliminating unnecessary expenses like paying that are not needed like installments for new devices, clothes, eating out, etc.
Money is not really a problem, but getting a new job because of my age and physical abilities would be tough.

Being on call isn't so tough either...

Cancelled
Aug 3, 2022
Money is not really a problem, but getting a new job because of my age and physical abilities would be tough.

Being on call isn't so tough either...
I see, but it is always good to have a backup plan, so I suggest doing sth in your free time. If it works, you will get to say bye-bye to your terrible job.

bobcomer

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2015
I see, but it is always good to have a backup plan, so I suggest doing sth in your free time. If it works, you will get to say bye-bye to your terrible job.
My backup plan is to retire. <g>

Anyway, I never said my job was terrible, just that I was on call all the time. My job is actually pretty good.

Cancelled
Aug 3, 2022
My backup plan is to retire. <g>

Anyway, I never said my job was terrible, just that I was on call all the time. My job is actually pretty good.
It is not a backup plan, mate. You can't be sure that they won't fire you or making you resign out of frustration in the future. That's the reason I left my previous company.

bobcomer

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2015
It is not a backup plan, mate. You can't be sure that they won't fire you or making you resign out of frustration in the future. That's the reason I left my previous company.
Me retiring covers getting fired or resigning too. No company pension to worry about around here. Just 401K and my own savings.

wideEyedPupil

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2012
the Segway is all the electric scooters you see on the street.
yeah, nah. it wasn’t motorised wheels and a battery that had all the tech world beside itself when they got a preview (worst kept secret in silicon valley ever) it was the gyroscopic self-balancing engineering. less than 1% of e-mobility personal transport have gyroscopic balancing.

Jensend

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2008
If AR is supposedly less immersive than VR (ergo, easier), why don't we have it already? What happened to Google Glass from 2012?
They are essentially the same thing, except AR has a transparent display and people expect it to be less bulky. How is that easier?
Maybe, but 12 years later, the iPad is still just an oversized iPhone trying to be something it's not.
There's only so much you can improve on a roughly 12" rectangle. VR has a lot more room for advancement.
I still retain a cell phone and laptop computer as my production equipment, just in different form (iPhone instead of Motorola KRZR, MacBook Pro 13" instead of Dell Inspiron). iPad, Apple Watch, Oculus Quest; all here and gone for me.
These are all pretty much the same thing (general purpose computer) with different input, screen sizes, and portability.
One interesting thing to me is that a VR headset could potentially replace a multi-monitor desktop setup, but have the portability of a MacBook. Paired with a keyboard, you can replicate the input functionality of a MacBook in addition to VR-exclusive input methods. Eye tracking could replace many mouse uses.

Jensend

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2008
I’d rather keep my spatial awareness and just have two physical monitors in front of me instead of wearing a headset. From what I’ve seen of the Oculus, the destruction caused by them far outweighs any environmental benefit of reduced hardware needs (busted TVs, windows, Christmas trees knocked over and glass broken, busted noses, and long-term neck problems). AR is likely to be an even larger source of distracted driving as it would appear that someone is paying attention when in reality, they’re reading a text in their glasses.
If you're using a VR headset to emulate a multi-monitor workstation, you aren't going to be swinging your arms around wildly. And almost all VR headsets will have a passthrough mode, so they are essentially AR headsets, and you can display your real surroundings around your virtual monitors.

The resolution of the Quest Pro—and probably the first Apple headset as well—won't be good enough that you'd want to do something like this for an extended period of time, but as the resolution and optics get better, and weight comes down, it will become a great option for many people, especially those who travel or just don't want to sit at the same desk all day.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
yeah, nah. it wasn’t motorised wheels and a battery that had all the tech world beside itself when they got a preview (worst kept secret in silicon valley ever) it was the gyroscopic self-balancing engineering. less than 1% of e-mobility personal transport have gyroscopic balancing.
I disagree. It was the fact of small mobile efficient transport for short distances which turned into the scooters we have everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.