Tim Cook on iPhone XS: People Want the Most Innovative Phone Possible and 'It's Not Cheap to Do That'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Sep 18, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In an interview with Good Morning America's Robin Roberts this morning, Apple CEO Tim Cook discussed the new iPhone XS, XS Max, Apple Watch, and the recent exemption of some Apple's products from President Trump's proposed tariff on Chinese goods.

[​IMG]

Roberts asked Cook about the cost of the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max line, the latter of which is Apple's most expensive iPhone to date at $1,449 for the 512GB model. Cook explained that monthly payment plans provided by carriers help make the cost of the iPhones easier to digest.

He pointed out that all of the technology included in the iPhone, replacing previous separate gadgets like MP3 players and digital cameras, requires each smartphone to be priced at a premium. Cook also mentioned Apple's aim to "serve everyone," which he mentioned in an interview last week.
    Cook then discussed the tariff situation, explaining that while the iPhone is assembled in China, parts of the device come from all over the world, including the United States.
    In regards to potential blowback from the Chinese government on this tariff exemption, and how this could impact consumers, Cook says he's optimistic that the U.S. and China will sort the situation out.

The topic then moved onto the company's record trillion dollar valuation, which it hit in early August, making it the world's only trillion dollar publicly traded company in terms of market capitalization. Cook says that, from his point of view, Apple "could only have been created in America," and as such he and his executives feel a responsibility to help the country thrive, including creating jobs and encouraging coding in public schools.
    You can visit Good Morning America's Twitter account to watch the full interview, which also includes a discussion of the iPhone XS camera, Memoji, the Apple Watch Series 4's ECG monitor, fall detection, and more.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook on iPhone XS: People Want the Most Innovative Phone Possible and 'It's Not Cheap to Do That'

2. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

3. nortonandreev macrumors 6502

nortonandreev

I don't think it's "the most innovative phone" if it's exactly the same as the last one.

4. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

"Not cheap to do that..."

Easy choice not to buy.

5. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

The Note 9 was very innovative (though it has its flaws) and the price is maxed out at $1250 — expensive? Totally, but it’s more reasonable

6. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

But the Xr is probably going to be the best selling one

7. Kajover Suspended

The world doesn’t only revolve around the U.S., I don’t have a 30$ monthly deal with my carrier nor do I get the iPhone upgrade program.

I would also love to hear his reasoning behind the inflated pricing in Europe. Even if I add a 20% tax on the dollar prices, the difference is noticeable.

Moreover, even though I could buy it I simply won’t. I cannot connect it to a screen and keyboard/mouse and magically have a Mac. It is still a phone with an ok camera (compared to a compact camera) that softens the details way too much.

8. cardfan macrumors 65816

But it’s not exactly the same.

9. Remy149 macrumors regular

Then buy that and let people who prefer iPhones spend their money on what they want

10. zetti macrumors 6502a

zetti

1249 for a Max with small improvements from the X? Yeah no sorry not buying it.

11. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

Guess they shied away from asking him about AirPower then? GMA put out a tweet asking for questions and this was the overwhelming response

12. medazinol macrumors regular

medazinol

Sounds like Tim is on a PR tour to try and justify their profit margins...
    I've ordered a XS Max but damn, the prices are outa control.

13. Alphazoid, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018

Alphazoid macrumors 6502a

Alphazoid

He's basically pushing the IUP. The $30 a month is a bit disingenuous. For one, none of the X models are priced at that. Two, it doesn't take into account the carrier plan which will in no way be $30 a month.

14. Geert76 macrumors 65816

15. 78Bandit macrumors 6502

78Bandit

Here is a view of Apple by Seth Godin from his article about three types of companies. One focusing on profit, one focusing on difficulty, and one focusing on important. Guess which one Apple is?

"Apple became the first company to be worth a trillion dollars. They did that by spending five years single-mindedly focusing on doing profitable work. They’ve consistently pushed themselves toward high margin luxury goods and avoided just about everything else. Belying their first two decades, when they focused on breakthrough work that was difficult and perhaps important, nothing they’ve done recently has been either. Tim Cook made a promise to the shareholders and he kept it."

16. KJL3000, Sep 18, 2018

KJL3000 macrumors 6502

KJL3000

Is Tim actually explaining the higher prices today with built-in gadgets like camera and music player (without headphone jack, btw)?? This was a valid argument 10 years ago. Now it’s obviously a very lame excuse for justifying insane prices.

LOL

17. Nozuka macrumors 68020

I knew that was their reasoning behind increasing the price... now he just confirmed it.
    These payment plans are the only reason apple is able to charge prices like that and still sell many phones.

18. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

You could do all of that 10 years ago already, when iPhones were generally much cheaper. As far as I can see, there's no mention of the innovation that would justify the recent price increase.

19. BootsWalking, Sep 18, 2018

BootsWalking macrumors 6502a

He pointed out that all of the technology included in the iPhone, replacing previous separate gadgets like MP3 players and digital cameras, requires each smartphone to be priced at a premium

That happened 11 years ago Tim.

youtube.com/watch?v=x7qPAY9JqE4&t=2m27s

20. Brenster macrumors 6502a

Given that less people are on the yearly or every other year upgrade cycle now, I can understand the price and capability of a new highest end iPhone is priced as it is.

Would I like it to be cheaper? Sure. Is it going to be? No. Are there cheaper iphones? Yes, from the Xr down to the now entry level 7.

Related but not the same: my Mother’a old hand-me-down 2007 era MacBook finally gave up the ghost last year. She asked to the price of a cheap MacBook. £899.

Complaining bitterly she went down to PC World and bought a HP stream 11 as ‘it will be good enough for what I need it for’. Cue several weeks of bitter complaining about UI differences from her old Mac, performance, keyboard and trackpad deficiencies.

She bought a new MacBook Air not long after. And she’s now happy that she can do what she wants to do without issues.

TL,DR: if you want the BMW experience, pay the BMW ticket price.

Not to mention that if even the iPhone 7 entry model is too expensive, there’s a healthy second hand market for iPhones (at least in the U.K. via CEX etc)

21. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

As it should be. Will the high end price people out? Sure. That's why it's the high end. Some people are willing to pay for it.

Everything prices someone out.

22. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Yeah the XS Max is the same as the X huh.

23. obiwan macrumors 6502

I can't see how Apple's aim to 'serve everyone' has been fulfilled. I need a headphone jack, a phone I can fit in my pocket, touch ID, and one that is kinder to my wallet. You are not serving my needs as an Apple customer. You just killed that phone off, and replaced last years premium model at a more expensive price. That's not exactly 'serving everyone' then, is it?

24. ocnitsa macrumors 6502

I'd settle for a slightly less innovative phone at a reasonable price that isn't already 2 years old.

25. newyorksole macrumors 68040

The prices are high, but he’s right. Monthly payments make it easy for people to swallow. If people had to pay in full or pay a subsidy there would be wayyyyy less sales.