Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I don't think Apple should name their campus after SJ. Jobs hated looking to the past. He didn't like talking about how the Apple 2 was the bread and butter of the company. He got rid of the Apple museum. He got rid of PowerPC because he wanted to make the best products looking forward. He wanted to look forward and he would want the new campus to look forward.

Steve Jobs Future Center

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
said it before, saying it again - apple needs to split. one company for the computers - the other for the consumer electronics biz. let em build thinner phones and cars and TVs, and the computer group can focus on OSX, and by focusing on OSX, i mean actually focusing on it, not just feature stripping it and silly UI tweaks. I'd also like to see them returning to an embrace of more open standards (HTML5 vs Flash) instead of constantly reinventing the wheel with proprietary APIs they are free to drop arbitrarily when something shiny and new comes along (OpenGL vs Metal)

NocEdit

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2015
There are so many parallels in Tim Cook's first letter about why they won't help decrypt the San Bernadino phone... and the NRA's stance on gun rights in America. I felt at times like I was reading an NRA PR piece... "only good guys with guns can stop bad guys with guns". Replace guns with ENCRYPTION.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
I love how Apple has always been the first! /sarcasm
Being fourth or last does not make any difference, it never has, how you make it is more important than when you make it, ask Samsung, they should have learned a thing or two by now.....

Spending an extra $100-300 dollars for a phone is one thing. Spending $35,000 or more for a car, especially when there's another 'sexy' name already building cars-Tesla-is another. Apple WAS the first to market with the smart phone, and that is still paying dividends today. And competitors will not be playing catchup for the first few years, they'll have a product out with at least a couple of years of debug and refinement already done. And there's no guarantee that there will only be 3 or 4 competitors. VW, Nissan & Ford are all working on their version of the electric car, and there are others who already sell electrics in Europe and Asia who could try selling in the US if it looks like there is a market for them, specifically Renault and Mitsubishi. And those are all in addition to GM and Tesla. So if Apple is coming late or at the same time as these other car manufacturers they better have something special.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
said it before, saying it again - apple needs to split. one company for the computers - the other for the consumer electronics biz. let em build thinner phones and cars and TVs, and the computer group can focus on OSX, and by focusing on OSX, i mean actually focusing on it, not just feature stripping it and silly UI tweaks. I'd also like to see them returning to an embrace of more open standards (HTML5 vs Flash) instead of constantly reinventing the wheel with proprietary APIs they are free to drop arbitrarily when something shiny and new comes along (OpenGL vs Metal)
I'm a share holder and I don't like that idea.

kdarling

macrumors P6
According to Cook, the addition of people from the automotive industry isn't a confirmation of the Apple Car, but simply a way for Apple to "explore things with teams of people."

Well, that explains a lot.

Rumors say that Apple has obtained a repossessed 1964 Chevy Malibu with something glowing in the trunk, and that all the recent engineering hires were about trying to figure out how to harness its ability to fly.

Apple also reportedly has a secret warehouse with a 1982 Trans Am and a 1962 VW Bug, both talking on their own, which has Apple's automotive Siri team fascinated.

Another building contains a modified 1982 Delorean DMC-12, which is apparently being used for a project having to do with magically predicting the "next big thing".

On the downside, a group working with a red 1957 Plymouth Belvedere, keeps losing members to mysterious and violent accidents. Job applicants are welcomed.

Reactions: Reason077

zahuh

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2004
Well there are some things that came first for Apple: A7 chip, first 64bit mobile phone chip. 3D/Force touch, cylinder Mac Pro, Apple Pay... just to name a few

Fantastic point and even furthers my point. No need to say "We don't want to be first, we want to be best."

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Maybe Apple is not building a car, but a car software system. Just saying...

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
th.jpeg "Neh...i'm not gonna do that." "Apple's action and words don't match up."
"Our QA? What's QA?"

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Tim, please focus on MacOS and iOS. Software and hardware. Be careful spreading Apple all over the place.

Maybe those categories have been advanced enough and give room to new categories. Look at how the iPhone influenced the addition of features to MacOS... wonder how a Car or other form of category will influence the other products the same way?

ralpa

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2015
Considering Samsung is already in the car business :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yea. No phones looked like iPhone before the original iPhone was launched, now most of the smartphones look alike.

But of course if the product is successful, other people will try to copy it. Apple Watch is not as successful as the iPhone yet so not many other brands are copying that much yet.

If Apple car is real and is "wow", then Samsung may get some inspiration~

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Yes, test drive one. A good electric car is simply better. You will want one.

I did and I liked it, but it was one of the $100,000 models a few years ago. I also live in fly-over country, there are very few car chargers publicly available anywhere in the city I live in, some that do exist are private, and driving to one of the "near by" cities would be a very risky proposition. For me, I would need a car with at least a 350 mile range, and places to recharge once I got there. Trips to Chicago or Denver would not be possible unless someone has installed charging stations along I80 in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska and Colorado.

Until electrics (and support) become more common in the Great Plains, I'll stick to my hybrid.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
re: "But once we start spending gobs of money—like when we start spending on tooling and things like that—we’re committed."

Yea, take that Elon! We might only hire all your employee rejects, but we're just toying around right now. You'll know when we get serious because we'll spend gobs, not chump-change. Heh.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
If Apple is really looking for something to spend it's billions on, how about practical high speed internet? The added advantage is that with a lower cost and widely available high speed internet millions would ditch cable and look for streaming services. I seem to remember that Apple had a streaming device and service once, but was having trouble de-coupling content from cable providers. Maybe this would be a better use of R&D.

//And yes, I was being sarcastic about Apple TV, but most of the real problems with that device is that many sports and premium channels are tied to cable.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Apple WAS the first to market with the smart phone, and that is still paying dividends today. l
No Apple was not the first with the smartphone, there were many others, they were the first to make a successful one though!

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
If Apple release Apple car, I think it will shock the whole car industry and push the industry forward.
Just by the rumors that apple is developing a car, the industry is moving forward.
You get the samsung effect: apple is working on a smartwatch, samsung scrambled to bring a (rather bad) smartwatch.
Apple is working on a bigger tablet, samsung releases the bigger tablet in 6 months, etc.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
No Apple was not the first with the smartphone, there were many others, they were the first to make a successful one though!
The first smartphone was an IBM device called Simon, in 1995. It was huge and costly, and something you would carry in a briefcase, not your pocket or a purse. Blackberry, Nokia and Motorola had phones around 2000 with Internet capabilities but no apps and you used either the numeric keypad to type, with each numeric key except 1 & 0 had 3 letters that you toggled through to select or a dedicated keyboard with mechanical keys. The iPhone, released in 2007 was small enough to fit in a purse/pocket,a screen that was bigger than its competitors, and it could run programs that Apple called 'apps'. The touchscreen was the primary input device. There were phones that had some of these features, but not all of them together. Most of the articles on smartphones give IBMs Simon pride of place as the first one deveoped, but the iPhone as the first practical smartphone.

Reactions: SteveW928

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
I despise this S.O.B. Why do you "hive-minders" love him so much? He's a horrible little man. Steve Jobs is spinning in his grave.

he's been good for the workforce and for HR issues but the tech side of things has really been a let down. outside of the Watch and the Mac Pro, there's been absolutely nothing new under his watch besides revisions and revamps.
[doublepost=1456254799][/doublepost]

you've clearly never heard of Blackberry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.