Tim Cook Reminds Employees 'Apple Is Open' After Australian Retail Store Employee Bars Black Teens

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Nov 13, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this week, a group of black teenagers were asked to leave an Apple Store in Australia by employees who were concerned about theft. The exchange was caught on video and has since gone viral, leading to a series of apologies, from the store's senior manager and from Apple.

[​IMG]

Apple has released two statements on the matter, one from Apple CEO Tim Cook who said he wants "every customer visiting our stores or calling for support to feel welcome," and a second general statement clarifying Apple's core values.
    Following the public apology, Tim Cook has now sent an internal memo to its employees, which has been shared by BuzzFeed. In the letter, Cook calls what happened "unacceptable" and says the video "does not represent our values."

He goes on to remind employees that "Apple is open" to people from "all walks of life" regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, income, language, or point of view.
    Following the incident, the senior manager at the Apple Store where the teens were ousted invited them back along with their school principal to make a formal apology and to make it clear they are welcome in the store any time. Following the apology, one of the teens said "She apologized to us and told us that we are welcome here anytime. It feels like we have justice now."

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook Reminds Employees 'Apple Is Open' After Australian Retail Store Employee Bars Black Teens

2. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

These customers need to give Tim Cook a list of demands, including that he "admit his white privilege" and resign.

;)

3. larrylaffer macrumors 6502

larrylaffer

Is Australia a litigious nation? If this happened here, I would be demanding some free gear.

4. thasan macrumors 6502a

It is not a small incident. Angela should have flown there and apologise personally.

5. nikster0029 Contributor

nikster0029

6. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Reminds me of the horrible comments on this website when Dr. Dre joined Apple

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

yeah, empower every employee and store associate to become a PR/anti-PR for Apple.
    It is a big incident, yet isolated. Apple handled it well, and kept it local.

8. 2457282 Suspended

I am usually not on the PC bandwagon, but the video was clear and someone really needs to be fired over that incident. PERIOD.

9. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

It's sad that racial profiling and discrimination is considered "political."

10. JarScott, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

A very heart felt message from Apple and Tim Cook, and the utmost respect from me for acknowledging this incident and sending out a clear message that what that employee said in no way represents Apple's values.

However there is one part that does bug me, the part where Tim mentions Apple Stores benefitting the community around them. I'm pretty sure Apple is just one of many corporate giants who continually avoid paying proper taxes in the countries in which they do their business - taxes which go on to benefit the people of that country. Apple should be at the forefront of what is right and ensure they are paying all correct taxes, in their full amount and declared in the right country. It's not a lot to ask from a company who basically have all the money in the world. Apple have the power to set a good example and set off a chain reaction.

11. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

or 'social issues'...

12. WilliamG, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015

WilliamG macrumors 604

Is it clear, though? There's two sides to every story. If a group of similarly-aged white kids with backpacks came into an Apple Store simultaneously, as a store owner I'd be concerned, too. Don't get me wrong - I'm NOT saying what the store owner did is right, but I'd certainly be interested as to what happened before they were asked to leave.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Not necessarily. There are other ways, often better ways, to benefit a community.

14. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Uh, it's certainly a "social issue", right?

15. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

16. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

I was actually expecting Tim Cook to say something along the lines of an employee being let go but it would appear he's not quite so iron fisted as that. It seems he feels a bigger message is sent if the employee recognises that what they did was wrong. But also requiring staff to retrain in this area just shows that Apple is more about bettering staff in their weaknesses rather than shooting them down at first opportunity. Believe me, I imagine the employee seen in that video feels very, very bad. That is surely punishment enough. Everyone deserves a second chance, in my eyes. People should be given the opportunity to correct their behaviour at least once.

17. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I thought exactly the same. Call me crazy for wanting to know all the facts before calling for a lynch mob.

18. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

you'd be surprised

19. hunt2013 macrumors regular

It's more meaningful for the CEO to speak about this. Especially when almost everyone would recognize Tim before her.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

IT was, it is and it will always be an issue. Not that I like it, but that's the problem.

21. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

I agree. But I believe paying correct taxes is also very important. I know here in the UK, the government have been providing corporate giants with certain tax reliefs for doing business here but they still avoid paying the right amount.

22. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

Because the world will always be full of ignorant, arrogant, naive and out spoken people. That's as far as I'll go, because this is probably the reason they've moved this thread into the politics section.

23. robjulo macrumors 6502a

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

absolutely, but that's more a legislative problem than a corporate problem. Apple (and any other company) is actually respecting the law...

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

you know, you do too