Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
It's sad that racial profiling and discrimination is considered "political."

When the government is involved in everything, everything becomes political. Australia has a big government, one of the five eyes, for one thing.

Skin color, hair color etc don't matter.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Is it somehow obvious that the employees asked them to leave because of their skin color ? Or, is it somehow obvious that the employees would behave differently if the group of teenagers where whites ? Everyone seems eager to automatically mark them as racists, but how is this obvious from the article ? I just see some ill-tempered employees who should not be in that position because of their bad behavior. Why is this turning to racial issue so easily ?

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I was actually expecting Tim Cook to say something along the lines of an employee being let go but it would appear he's not quite so iron fisted as that. It seems he feels a bigger message is sent if the employee recognises that what they did was wrong. But also requiring staff to retrain in this area just shows that Apple is more about bettering staff in their weaknesses rather than shooting them down at first opportunity. Believe me, I imagine the employee seen in that video feels very, very bad. That is surely punishment enough. Everyone deserves a second chance, in my eyes. People should be given the opportunity to correct their behaviour at least once.

Considering the WORLDWIDE attention this incident gathered it seems logical to me that that employee got the message loud and clear - stunningly -- in a worldwide court of opinion and from the companies CEO.. Firing the guy in my eye wouldn't have been as big as allowing a person opportunity at redemption and amends. NONE of us are perfect, in our professional OR personal lives.

Apple -- thumbs up!

Reactions: epirali and 5105973

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
1 incident is not a "culture of..."
one video is not an "epidemic"

As was seen in videos of issues is there is 10 minutes before and 10 minutes after, and that plays into the decisions being made by all involved, both good and bad. I'm more of a "let's see what else comes out about this..." kind of person.

Monday Morning Quarterbacks never make bad decisions, as the consequence of the bad ones is there for everyone to see, and it's easy to say, "I wouldn't do what led to that bad consequence*"

*This is being said as a fan of the Seahawks and not a fan of the outcome of last year's Super Bowl.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Is it clear, though? There's two sides two every story. If a group of similarly-aged white kids with backpacks came into an Apple Store simultaneously, as a store owner I'd be concerned, too. Don't get me wrong - I'm NOT saying what the store owner did is right, but I'd certainly be interested as to what happened before they were asked to leave.

I thought exactly the same. Call me crazy for wanting to know all the facts before calling for a lynch mob.

Have you seen the video? There isn't a lot of room for interpretation. Please see the video first and then tell comment. I am not part of a lynch mob. I often time think everyone gets the short into a bunch for all the wrong reasons and the race card gets pull too quickly. But this seems to be pretty clear to me after watching the video.

Reactions: moetownslick

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
I will be very honest, I have noticed multiple times at AppleStore, retail reps rushing to help/woo white customers (greater odds of having a higher disposable income) while all the other ethnic groups roam around the store asking for someone to help them. Its sad to see that at Apple but I guess its all about sales.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deuce2 and akuma13

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014
The guy on the left looks like he wants to steal something. Perhaps also the guy second from the right. A couple of the guys look fine. Based on the photo I might be concerned.

Now I'll have to go see the video. Sounds like I'll see an inappropriate response from the employee(s).

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Political nature? WOW.

It was 6 young males (according to a local newspaper) wearing backpacks inside a store. They don't look like criminals but it would be better if we saw a video on how they were acting inside the store. Were they acting suspicious? Maybe not. Bottom line? We don't know.

Clickbait news. Move on.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I see no problem with what the employee did.

He identified the group of children with backpacks as a threat to the Apple Store, and decided to eliminate that threat by asking for them to leave. Any group of people that moves as a pack is a potential threat, and tends to be intimidating to other customers. There will have been several factors that led to the request, not least, the presence of several large backpacks.

Just as Apple, under Tim Cook, exercise their right to search the bags of employees without restriction, so they exercise their right to remove members of the public from the store. Tim should be proud that his employee did the right thing, and the employee should be rewarded with a pay rise or bonus.

Last edited:

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Is Australia a litigious nation? If this happened here, I would be demanding some free gear.

This is Australia mate. We don't ***** foot around like you lot. Everyone involved in the incident needs to go down to the pub (even the kids) get a few beers in them, say something someone doesn't like, then when it's lock out have a punch up out side. Problem solved, case closed. Australian justice.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
absolutely, but that's more a legislative problem than a corporate problem. Apple (and any other company) is actually respecting the law...
I thought the video that I just watched an Apple employee was involved. An employee should represent the company and that should be part of their training. I don't know about the law in Australia but obviously the store ("Apple" Store) team and management handled the situation inappropriately. You don't even want to know how did you got your iToys and so Apple is not always innocent.

Reactions: unobtainium

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Yes, be diligent but preemptively taking steps when you truly do not know is systemically what's wrong here. Walking, driving, shopping while black is NOT a crime and without any sliver of evidence that a crime is being committed, they have no right to treat them as such.

Reactions: unobtainium
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.