Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tokajilover

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2016
jobs was a tech-guy - he loved the products.
cook is a finance-guy - he loves money and grow

we will never see, products like the one with jobs, ever again.

cook will do his best, to focus on shareholder, and even more on cook, and cook.
cook first - america second ;)

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Great. Another paid puff piece for Tim to pontificate with abandon, while the entire product pipeline is going down the gutter.

I don't get the #1 placement at all. The companies lower on the list were far more interesting. And useful. Innovation-wise, it's far more impressive what Patreon and Diamond Foundry have accomplished.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
tim-cook-fastco-800x450.jpg

“The owner of that drone. Find him. And bring me his head.”​

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I think it's pretty obvious that he is referring to the controversy of only 2 months ago about iPhone performance being sneakily lowered to increase battery life in iPhones who's batteries were needing replaced, and how they never told the iPhone owners they were doing this, and how a (relatively) simple battery replacement would increase their iPhones performance significantly.
Lots of people felt cheated by it. I understand why they did it, but do not understand why they never disclosed it.

Apple DID tell people but people never bother reading the details in iOS upgrade notices. They need to be handheld at all times. Including being told to take their phone in for service before buying a new one.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I’m happy with my iPhone X. I used a retina macbookpro for a job recently and have some issues with it but overall it performed well. My issues were very high-end situation specific.

I have moved away from traditional computers. I find that iOS has been better for my needs. I bought the iPhone X, iPad Pro 10.5, Airpods, and Apple Watch Series 3 last year. All have been perfect for me.

saintstryfe

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
As always, Cook says nothing.

If their priority would be products, they would not have had that many failed products (Mac Pro, latest Macbook Pro). You only started working on a new Mac PRo after many Pro users complained so much that Schiller had to come out and do an interview saying that Apple "still care" about their Pro users.

If their priority would be products, they would not have waited that long to upgrade the Mac mini, and the Mac Pro and the iMac.

If their priority would be people they would not have done what they did to the iPhone and cheated with the battery performance.

The only thing you care is not about innovation, products and users, but about making money with the iphones...

Sad...

Repeat with me: Mac Pro and Mac mini don't sell well, so they don't get updated that frequently.

Sorry.

iMac has been regularly updated (2013, 2015, 2017), in line with significant-enough jumps in processors which is due to Intel.

They didn't cheat anyone with the phone- they tried to increase stability and phone life with a small hit to performance. And as an AASP I can say that phones that actually ran into this issue are less than 20% of the people who show up wanting a cheap battery.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
If Apple cares about artists, they don't care about custom experience. If they did, then Apple music would have improved since the launch... Could be a combination of AM and/or iTunes version. but the main plot is there.

Any company will say they care "more for" but really, that's not how it ever turns out.

If Tim reckons otherwise, prove it..

Apple could have done better by communicating with users about power management on iPhone as well initially, so that alone tells you they don't care.. otherwise, it wouldn't have happened.

Mistake do get made, but not if you are really concerned about your goal 100%, its not. It's supposed to be a clear, not just muddy waters.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Man, can we stop it with the "man, so much hate posts on MR lately" posts already?
Can it once and for all sink in that criticism of a company is mostly based on the fact that the people complaining actually care about seeing improvement?

Sometimes it’s what you claim. Sometimes it’s anti-Apple trolls making up stuff. Sometimes it’s professional whiners who simply don’t know how to use tech. It’s all of that. People who make logical critical comments are respected. People who just b*tch and moan aren’t.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Apple DID tell people but people never bother reading the details in iOS upgrade notices. They need to be handheld at all times. Including being told to take their phone in for service before buying a new one.

No, they DIDN'T. When Apple says "improves power management during peak workloads" nobody but Apple engineers translates that to "we throttle your processor frequency."

And the service/genius test would have pointed to no wrongdoing, instead their advice would be to just buy a new phone.

Get your facts straight please.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
No, they DIDN'T. When Apple says "improves power management during peak workloads" nobody but Apple engineers translates that to "we throttle your processor frequency."

And the service/genius would have pointed to no wrongdoing, instead their advice would be to just buy a new phone.

Get your facts straight please.

“Would be” tells me you never actually took a phone in for service. My iPhone 6 was shutting down at 40% charge. I took it to an Apple store and they changed the battery for free in an hour. THAT’S what a normal owner is supposed to do.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I have moved away from traditional computers. I find that iOS has been better for my needs. I bought the iPhone X, iPad Pro 10.5, Airpods, and Apple Watch Series 3 last year. All have been perfect for me.

That’s fine for you but I am in the professional A/V for live events. Can’t use iOS devices for that.

macmyworld

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Sure Tim. Apple maintains some of the highest margains out there. It does so for shareholders and that makes sense.

If Tim was so concerned about people and other nonsense he wouldn’t be sitting on more money than many countries have.

I respect Apple for what they are. But in the end it’s all about the money.

Reactions: Beachguy

Lab4Us

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2018
I'm sure there will be a lot of negative post on this article but i still think Apple make great products, the iPhone X is easily the best iPhone yet (and the best smartphone on the market in my opinion) the iPad Pro is a great device that has evolved to become a more computer like device for a lot of people, the Apple Watch is easily the best smart watch on the market, the AirPods are great and the HomePod is a great sounding speaker that is worth the cost alone.

Ok i've posted my positive thoughts and agree with Tim Cook, it's now time for the negative ones to start flowing :rolleyes::p
Should do like I do...realize all the negative Neds and Nancys posting here haven’t ever owned or used most of the Apple products they whine about, then completely ignore them while you enjoy the marvels that are Apple products with groundbreaking technology!
[doublepost=1519235454][/doublepost]
Sure Tim. Apple maintains some of the highest margains out there. It does so for shareholders and that makes sense.

If Tim was so concerned about people and other nonsense he wouldn’t be sitting on more money than many countries have.

I respect Apple for what they are. But in the end it’s all about the money.
Yes, because Apple and its employees are supposed to work for free! /s

Lab4Us

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2018
Sometimes it’s what you claim. Sometimes it’s anti-Apple trolls making up stuff. Sometimes it’s professional whiners who simply don’t know how to use tech. It’s all of that. People who make logical critical comments are respected. People who just b*tch and moan aren’t.
And logical legitimate critical comments generally come with a logical way Apple could maybe make a product better. OMG ROFL THERE’S NO AUX INPUT ON THE HOMEPOD DOES NOT fit into that category.

Lab4Us

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2018
Dave you are not wrong and I agree with all you say.

However, it would be good if Apple were to be far less evasive when it comes to not paying their fair share of taxes.

Here in the EU, they are active in Ireland and Luxembourg and avoiding (legally I am sure!) their fair share of tax - that impacts everyone and stops us having money for our public services.

Ordinary folk over here cannot get away with what Apple gets away with and clearly that has an impact on their top and bottom lines.
Likely a deal your government made with Apple to bring the jobs to those countries. Better to have employment opportunities I would think.

Cancelled
Feb 17, 2008
I would say apple is focused on how to aligned their products with people's needs. Because if they really cared about people the would be paying all their taxes which go to fighter fighters, police departments, street maintenance, etc. you know things people need and use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.