Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook has responded to a MacRumors reader's email about the lack of a long-awaited MacBook Pro refresh, stressing that he "loves the Mac" and that Apple is "very committed" to it. He told the customer, who wishes to remain anonymous, to "stay tuned," suggesting that updates to the Mac lineup are on the horizon.

rmbp.jpg

MacRumors cannot fully confirm the authenticity of the email, but it does appear to originate from Apple's corporate servers based on full headers we saw. Apple executives occasionally respond to customer emails, but it is possible the response was handled by Apple's executive relations or public relations teams.

tim-cook-mac-email.jpg

An update to the Mac lineup at some point is inevitable, and the bigger focus is now on when that will happen. The latest word is that Apple will release new MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models with USB-C ports as early as October, while updated iMac models with an option for new AMD graphics chips are also in the works.

That report reiterated rumors that the new MacBook Pro will be thinner and include an OLED-based touch bar along the top of the flatter keyboard, which will present functions that dynamically fit the current task or application, as well as integrate Touch ID to enable users to quickly log in using their fingerprint.

Our own Mac Buyer's Guide shows that it has been 479 days since the MacBook Pro was last updated, while the MacBook Air has not been refreshed in 550 days. Similarly, the Mac mini has not been refreshed in 694 days, while the Mac Pro is five days shy of 1000 days since its last update. iMacs stand at 332 days.

Article Link: Tim Cook Says Apple is 'Very Committed' to the Mac and to 'Stay Tuned'

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I told myself that this october is Apple's last chance. Before then, I won't speculate about "the death of macs" or some **** like that. If they release at least multiple macs this october, then it's absolutely fantastic! If they don't release anything, then it's clear that Macs are becoming less and less of a priority for them and my hopes will start diminishing for real. We better see Mac Pro (2016) and MacBook Pro 4th generation appear in our Wikipedia pages by the end of the year :p

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
What exactly was the strategy for Mac Pro if it's just shy of 1000 days since being updated?

Was there ever a strategy or plan once they released it?

iMac, Mac Pro, Mini, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air... Boom, Boom, Boom! NEW PRODUCTS!

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well of course he's going to say that. he'd be committing product suicide if he said that the Mac was not important to Apple. People would leave the platform in droves.

I'm not saying Apple is or isn't committed, but obviously he's not going to give any details other then saying they're committed

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
Listen, Apple sold a billion iPhones in the past decade; they probably didn't sell a billion iMacs or Mac Pros. By focusing on the iPhone, Apple can truly leverage its market influence to bully the entire audio industry to accept its proprietary headphone connector, for example. Apple has nowhere NEAR that power when it comes to desktop computing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.