Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
From the standpoint of sustainability, a much better option is to keep using the same phone for as long as it functions well. If the battery is giving out, just replace the battery.

(still rockin' my 6S)

Same here; 6s and no need to replace it. The way people replace their phones every year serves Apple executives and Wall Street types, but is a direct action toward compounding environmental/resource problems.

As Apple gets lauded for their environmental care, we see just how low the bar really is for corporations. Apple are pushing disposable products (almost every single product they sell can be classified as such) and aren’t likely recycling near enough of their own product to offset any real impact. Between the insane amounts of new paper and plastic in their glamorous packaging (why isn’t it post-consumer material?), and the mining of the [rare and sometimes conflict-causing] materials (that we have a finite source of on this planet), just to manufacture and sell more disposable electronics, that they’re pushing on an even shorter replacement cycle every year, Apple aren’t legitimately impressive on environmental actions... yet they keep getting lauded anyway.

Even their reduced toxic material usage is a problem when things like charging cables self-destruct from NORMAL exposure to human skin and light cause a need for MORE cables to replace the ones that self-destruct from basic and normal use (sort of like Apple’s self-destructing anorexic computers that can’t handle the thermals they’re designed with, without being throttled to save them from burning out prematurely).

Are Apple doing something behind the scenes to get humanity to mine the plentiful asteroids in our star system? I’m sure they could strike up an investment deal with Elon Musk. We legitimately need to develop that kind of materials-acquisition infrastructure. There is only so much of everything on Earth, and we are letting corporations destroy our closed-system environment as they sell the same things to us repeatedly, year after year.

Laissez-faire capitalism is driving us to an even worse dystopia than we already have. Are you ready to live in a Max Headroom future where nothing new CAN be manufactured? It’s about 20 minutes into the future...

Last edited:

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I got $370 for my almost year-old XR last month. A brand new one was $599, meaning the most I would get for mine was $450-470 (if that). And instead of having to spend hours of my life to navigate through a sea of scammers, the trade-in processing bit at the store took literally 3.5 minutes.

I can live with paying $100 to not deal with that

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019
Better to keep the damn iPhone for collection purposes rather than give it away at a discount, imo

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019
Trading program is another way to rip-off customers.
Well yeah but it's a choice, they're not forcing you to do anything. If you're stupid enough to give away your device at half the price, its totally your own fault.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
with trade-in, Apple makes profit with two transactions: new iphone and used iphone. At the end, Apple makes more money and their customers walks out with less money, like trading in your car.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
They charge $1000 for a monitor stand worth $1000, intended for a $5000 monitor that is cheap for its intended market. You are not the intended market.

ROFL. Thank you for coming along to prove my point. Apple can do any idiotic thing and someone will come to explain why it's actually a great thing, while at the same time condescendingly insulting anyone who thinks Apple is not the world's only true religion.

There is no world in which that monitor stand is worth $1,000. And the cost or value of the monitor is irrelevant. I guess to you if Bugatti charged $10,000 for windshield wiper blades for their $1,000,000 car that would be good value to you too? After all, you aren't the intended market for a million dollar car. And fwiw, Bugatti wiper blades cost about $20/pair.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
ROFL. Thank you for coming along to prove my point. Apple can do any idiotic thing and someone will come to explain why it's actually a great thing, while at the same time condescendingly insulting anyone who thinks Apple is not the world's only true religion.

There is no world in which that monitor stand is worth $1,000. And the cost or value of the monitor is irrelevant. I guess to you if Bugatti charged $10,000 for windshield wiper blades for their $1,000,000 car that would be good value to you too? After all, you aren't the intended market for a million dollar car. And fwiw, Bugatti wiper blades cost about $20/pair.

Your argument is only relevant if for some reason, there are people who intend to buy only the monitor stand by itself. I don’t know - maybe it will make for a nice conversation piece?

Purchased in tandem with the 6k display, you are looking at a total price of $6000 for a 6k reference monitor, which by all reviews I have seen, is actually very competitively-priced relative to other alternatives on the market, which reportedly retail for at least $10000.

And if for some reason, you intend to mount your monitor on a VESA mount and think you don’t need the stand, Apple just saved you $1000, and you still have the option to purchase the stand separately later on should your needs change.

So yes, maybe Apple did make a PR faux pas by marketing them individually, but it doesn’t change the fact that you are still getting a 6k display for $6000 at the end of the day. Which brings me back to my initial point - if you don’t intend to just buy the stand by itself, what does it matter? And if you are, why?

It just feels like people are scrapping the bottom of the barrel trying to find something, anything really, to criticise Apple over.

Reactions: I7guy

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Your argument is only relevant if for some reason, there are people who intend to buy only the monitor stand by itself. I don’t know - maybe it will make for a nice conversation piece?

Purchased in tandem with the 6k display, you are looking at a total price of $6000 for a 6k reference monitor, which by all reviews I have seen, is actually very competitively-priced relative to other alternatives on the market, which reportedly retail for at least $10000.

That is just foolish. It is $1000 for a monitor stand. That is an absurdity. The fact that you feel the stand plus monitor is worth $6000 is irrelevant. It's the stand that is a $1000 product from Apple and that rightfully makes Apple look like a bunch of clowns.

I saw the same keynote as you, and while the $5000 monitor is certainly nice, calling it comparable to those $10k and up monitors is marking nonsense. Same as saying my MBP can drive a row of 5k monitors when a GTX 2080 can't do it. The MBP can push the pixels if you're rendering a few text windows but that's not what normal people (not Apple marketing drones and zealots) think you mean when you say you can run multiple monitors.

Basically Apple marking lies. All companies marking departments lie so I don't even mean this as a criticism of Apple, but you take everything Apple says as a gospel of your religion.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
That is just foolish. It is $1000 for a monitor stand. That is an absurdity. The fact that you feel the stand plus monitor is worth $6000 is irrelevant. It's the stand that is a $1000 product from Apple and that rightfully makes Apple look like a bunch of clowns.

I guess my point is - so?

The people who want that 6k monitor is going to pay $6000 for it. Of this amount, does it really matter at the end of the day which component cost what? So long as the final price of $6000 is reasonable relative to the other alternatives, who cares if the monitor really only cost $1000 and the stand actually cost $5000 on its own?

Bottom line - it’s a package deal, and deserves to be evaluated as such.

It really feels at this point like you are simply arguing for the sake of arguing. Let’s just say, for argument’s sake, that yes, I agree with you that $1000 is a ridiculous price for a metal stand and it does make Apple look like a bunch of clowns.

So? It still doesn’t change the fact that the people who do want that stand are the ones who will be purchasing a monitor to go along with it and that $6000 is still a very reasonable price to pay for a screen of that caliber.

Conversely, if you do end up buying just the stand by itself to make a point that it’s an overpriced lump of metal, then I feel it says a lot more about your intelligence than it does about Apple’s pricing strategy.

You can win this argument, and I am perfectly willing to concede this argument (now that I have made all my points out for the world to evaluate) for all the good that it does you.

It doesn’t change a thing.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

But if you had a Porsche and wanted to replace one of the rims. https://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-...esium-wheels-for-the-porsche-918-spyder-cost/

So for a $5,000 monitor you are getting a stand fit for the purpose at a price.
[automerge]1572204376[/automerge]
Same here; 6s and no need to replace it. The way people replace their phones every year serves Apple executives and Wall Street types, but is a direct action toward compounding environmental/resource problems.
The way people replace phones serves themselves. Apple has been working to be more green. Being green is a process not an end goal in and of itself.

As Apple gets lauded for their environmental care, we see just how low the bar really is for corporations. Apple are pushing disposable products (almost every single product they sell can be classified as such) and aren’t likely recycling near enough of their own product to offset any real impact. Between the insane amounts of new paper and plastic in their glamorous packaging (why isn’t it post-consumer material?), and the mining of the [rare and sometimes conflict-causing] materials (that we have a finite source of on this planet), just to manufacture and sell more disposable electronics, that they’re pushing on an even shorter replacement cycle every year, Apple aren’t legitimately impressive on environmental actions... yet they keep getting lauded anyway.
Maybe Apple is getting lauded due to the entirety of their green efforts and not being dinged for a specific point?

Even their reduced toxic material usage is a problem when things like charging cables self-destruct from NORMAL exposure to human skin and light cause a need for MORE cables to replace the ones that self-destruct from basic and normal use...
I still have the original cables and earpods from my 4S and ipad 2. And other people claim to as well. Yes you mistreat a cable and it will break. Drive a car into a wall and it will bend also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abazigal

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
It’s great for lazy people or those that do not want to bother selling it privately. At least they get something and don’t have to deal with some of these companies cheating them out of their phone’s value by claiming the phone is damaged when it isn’t or that it doesn’t have an OS when it does.

ducknalddon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2018
It may not be ‘competitive’ in terms of the resale market, but I would rather trade into Apple/my carrier versus selling my phone with amount of fraud that’s out there on craigslist, Swappa, eBay, etc. It’s just a ‘safe bet’ for those who are more cautionary, and for some, we don’t need to maximize our profits when trading in the iPhone.

It's not that bad on eBay, there is some fraud but if you are careful the chances of getting caught out are fairly low.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
It's not that bad on eBay, there is some fraud but if you are careful the chances of getting caught out are fairly low.

For some people, the extra $100-150 you get isn’t worth the risk of “some fraud”, and then having to deal with sending it through the mail, etc. For that $100, you’re in & out of the store with a new iPhone in 5 minutes.

if anything, people on eBay should be happy supply is dwindling with all the people trading in

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
But if you had a Porsche and wanted to replace one of the rims. https://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-...esium-wheels-for-the-porsche-918-spyder-cost/

So for a $5,000 monitor you are getting a stand fit for the purpose at a price.

The rim would be considered a repair part. Shall we compare repair part pricing for an Apple product vs a Dell product? Also, the OEM rims for my Acura were $6000 from the dealer, nearly 10% the price of the entire car, when I wanted to get a set for snow tires. Instead I just pay twice a year to have the original rims swapped back and forth. So that is in no way a fair analogy to Apple's $1000 monitor stand.

The $1000 stand would be as if Porsche didn't supply a driver's seat in their $800,000 Spyder but sold it separately for $100,000 and lowered the car price by $50,000. It would still be a $100,000 car seat which is completely idiotic and you'd still have Porsche apologists saying to think of it as an $850,000 car which is worth it and you're just bitter you can't afford it.[/QUOTE]

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The rim would be considered a repair part.
if you buy the car with those rims that what you are paying. The price of the rims alone like the price of the stand alone, is what it is.

Shall we compare repair part pricing for an Apple product vs a Dell product? Also, the OEM rims for my Acura were $6000 from the dealer, nearly 10% the price of the entire car, when I wanted to get a set for snow tires. Instead I just pay twice a year to have the original rims swapped back and forth. So that is in no way a fair analogy to Apple's $1000 monitor stand.
Sure it’s fair. You don’t need the stand like one doesn’t need $$$$ rims. It’s a package deal and you can say cost of accessories is total cost - cost if main component.

The $1000 stand would be as if Porsche didn't supply a driver's seat in their $800,000 Spyder but sold it separately for $100,000 and lowered the car price by $50,000. It would still be a $100,000 car seat which is completely idiotic and you'd still have Porsche apologists saying to think of it as an $850,000 car which is worth it and you're just bitter you can't afford it.
In other words the cost is the cost. There is no other way to spin this.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
if you buy the car with those rims that what you are paying. The price of the rims alone like the price of the stand alone, is what it is.

If you price out every part that makes up the car, you'll come out at about 10 times the price of the car. You are not paying that price for the rims. Same with Apple repairs. A MBP upper case, logic board and screen are already nearly twice the price of an MBP. It doesn't mean you're paying those prices when you buy a shinky new MBP.

Sure it’s fair. You don’t need the stand like one doesn’t need $$$$ rims. It’s a package deal and you can say cost of accessories is total cost - cost if main component.

Most accessories (not repair parts) cost a reasonable but high price for brands like Apple and Porsche. It is complete idiocy to factor in the total price of the product and accessory and then say well that's not so bad.

In other words the cost is the cost. There is no other way to spin this.

That's right. And the cost of this monitor stand is $1000. The cost is the cost. You can't try to spin it by saying it's really a $6000 combo.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If you price out every part that makes up the car, you'll come out at about 10 times the price of the car. You are not paying that price for the rims. Same with Apple repairs. A MBP upper case, logic board and screen are already nearly twice the price of an MBP. It doesn't mean you're paying those prices when you buy a shinky new MBP.

Most accessories (not repair parts) cost a reasonable but high price for brands like Apple and Porsche. It is complete idiocy to factor in the total price of the product and accessory and then say well that's not so bad.

That's right. And the cost of this monitor stand is $1000. The cost is the cost. You can't try to spin it by saying it's really a $6000 combo.
Sure you want a pro setup, you’re paying $6 grand. Want a less than pro setup, bring your own stand. So yeah, it’s a $6 grand engineered package, the same way the spyder is an $800,000 package. But yeah, you can bring your own rims but then you probably won’t have a pro package

ike1707

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
While you're right about the term gypped, the word gypsie is also an offensive term applied to the Romani people. Calling a Roma a Gypsie, is on par to calling an African-American the n-word. So if you insist on calling people out for unintended racism and trying to educate them, please be a lot more careful. It's ironic that you're helping spread racist terms yourself.
Today I learned. I think in modern use it can simply refer to being nomadic and “free spirited”, but your point definitely applies to what I said, thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.