Tim Cook Shares Tribute to Steve Jobs on Sixth Anniversary of His Death

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Black Tiger macrumors member

2. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

i had a few Apple products while s.Jobs was CEO..
    G5, 17" powerBook, MacPro(1,1), 2010 MBP, iPhone 3G/3Gs/4s(sort of), MobileMe, OS X

since s.Jobs passed, i've had (have):
    iPhone 5s & 6s, rMBP, 27" iMac, iCloud, macOS

None of the latter would i trade for the former.. none.
    since t.Cook took over, all of the Apple products i use have improved.. greatly in certain instances.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

----------
    Jobs was a good CEO.. so is t.Cook..
    that's my personal take at least.

3. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I'm getting a little tired of hearing about Steve's DNA...
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2017 ---
    or maybe a bit of both and don't have to be mutually exclusive?

perhaps a bit perfunctory and obligatory too being the anniversary of of his death, more than sincere and reflective of his own volition, at this point, ostensibly.

I can't imagine being a college or high school student again, or any other 4 year metric of a 'life chapter,' beginning and ending with relatively same iPhone design...

its certainly the changing of times at Apple no doubt

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

First gen iPad with its 256 mb ram.

Entry level 2011 11” MBA with 2 gb ram.

Steve was talking about how much thinner the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 were in his keynotes. In fact, the whole term “thinness” was originally coined by him and pretty much used by everyone else in the industry thereafter.

And let’s not forget the original MacBook Air.

The MacBook Air ditched a ton of ports for a single thunderbolt port. I needed a vga adaptor to hook it up to a projector and a hdmi adaptor to connect it to my external monitor.

It’s not about dongle or no dongle. It’s about what Apple thinks the user is able and willing to give up in exchange for that they perceive will offer a great user experience according to their terms. And to Apple, a thinner and lighter device is a better user experience.

How long before the iPhone drops the lightning port entirely though.

And somewhere out there, someone such as Federico Viticci of Macstories is enjoying their 12.9” iPad Pro because the larger screen estate. Different strokes for different people.

I would argue that Apple had a slim product lineup back then because that was all they had the resources for. So they had to cast the widest net possible, even though the reality was that one size never did fit all. And this meant there were many segments of the market that Apple wasn’t serving.

The Apple of today is a way larger company and caters to a much wider demographic of users, so they cannot get by with the same limited offerings they had in the past. Hence the need to carpet-bomb the phone market with all iterations of iPhones to cater to every price point conceivable, for instance.

Apple hasn’t lost its way. Times have changed, and Apple too has changed in keeping with the times and that’s just the way she goes.

5. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

maybe Steve passed the torch to him to watch Apple go up in flames from the iHeaven, and so that his legacy would be THAT much stronger.

He knew he was the captain, and without El Capitan at the helm, Apple just isn't apple anymore. its a sinking ship

6. PickUrPoison macrumors regular

This milking you’re hung up on, it’s meaningless and your argument is not helped by making up crap like “10 different sizes”. What would YOU have done for the last 6 years with iPad and iPhone? Be specific.

Are you saying Steve wouldn’t approve of the 4.7 or 5.5 inch iPhones, that if he were still CEO that only 4.0” iPhones would exist? Would Steve hate the 12.9” iPad Pro? The $329 2017 iPad that has left no room for competitors?

In addition to owning the tablet and smart watch category, Apple now also owns the wireless ear bud space, with a widely acclaimed product at an unbeatable price. (What happened to the fabled Apple tax?)

The 12” MacBook is another new product intro, and the upcoming iMac Pro looks impressive, what little we know. I hope the new MacPro comes out 1H2018; the cylinder was a big mistake, but can be fixed.

Apple Music has done well. The A11 SoC is a beast and widely acknowledged best in class, years ahead of Samsung/Qualcomm. It’s too early to know about ARKit and HomePod but time will tell.

Tim Cook has ramped up R&D tremendously from Jobs’ era, and I’ve no doubt it will continue to bear fruit. I couldn’t disagree more with your “Tim Cook has done nothing” hogwash—you’re just wrong.

7. tw1ll macrumors regular

I think a true friend should mark someones death with something more dignified that a Tweet.

There is no taking away from Jobs his achievements as a businessman and innovator, but the cult of Jobs culture at Apple seems to serve no purpose other than highlight a company that has struggled to replace such a charismatic, strong leader.

8. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

You're right.

[​IMG]

9. YaBe macrumors member

YaBe

Tim Cook really is not as bad as people make it look like, IF only they would stop comparing him to S.J. they would see it.

No one will ever be like S.J. and I am sure that when we will have the Next™ C.E.O. people will be complaining that he is not worth a dime compared to T.C.

10. typecase, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

typecase macrumors 6502

typecase

I said the zenith FOR ME. I like to plug stuff in, upgrade my video card, my RAM and even my processor. My 2010 Mac Pro still performs like a current day computer due to this ability and has more RAM and a better video card than most anything I can buy from Apple today. Nothing sad about that.

11. tw1ll macrumors regular

Indeed.....fair point.

Still think Tweets are crass in these circumstances though - personal thing.

12. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

1. First gen iPad had no ram issues when it launched . If you want to say that future OS updates introduced it.....that's a discussion about planned obsolescence

2. 2011 MBA - 2 GB is fine for the average user running OSX , its issue was Gpu, hardware contraint from intel.

3. From iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4..... it was not thinness that Steve was proud of, Compare the thickness of 3GS to 4, retina was its selling point

The air, constraint by hardware at the time.

4. What air just with a thunderbolt port? Though if you look at the design constraint of the air, it's the only MacBook that is constraint. I owned air all all along, never needed dongles .

5. Yeah it it about dongles , if it was not they would have the ports, cheap Chinese companies have ripped of the new MacBook Pro and added ports... how is carrying 3-5 dongles a good user experience?

6. You missed the point about the 12.9, it's a niche product that fails as a hand held device ..... if you want an "iPad" that needs to be setup and docked like a laptop.... well...and yet still fails to achieve its goal .... I know people who can use a screwdriver as a hammer... hammer is still a better Tool for the job

7. Carpet bombing by definition means you have no idea what you are doing, you are just throwing stuff against the wall hoping you hit something . You will find apple found its way by getting rid of Carpet bombing and focusing on precision "user experience" Apple is day is milking Steve's legacy products by fragemeting them while trying to also be fashion, media .....god knows. ....Tim for me is what Steve Balmer was to Gates.... we can all look at the number and say it's awesome....is it? How long will Tim "Balmer" Cook Continue to bring in record profits before they are overtaken in innovation like Microsoft was? Some would say already, the X is playing catch up to the S8, by the time most get it, S9 is out.... though don't worry the 5 and 6 design will still be sold by Apple with old internals at premium prices...

13. citysnaps macrumors 68020

In the mid 1990s when FireWire was introduced, I had to.... buy a FireWire cable or two. Probably around $10, IIRC.

In 2017 after I bought a new MacBook Pro with USB C ports, I had to... buy a USB C cable or two. The most recent one was $5.80.

Wasn't trippin then. Not trippin now.

One thing for sure, there's no way I'd buy any computer today with 20 year old USB A ports. USB C is so much better, on many aspects.

14. YaBe, Oct 6, 2017

YaBe macrumors member

YaBe

Back then you could have used USB and were not forced to use FW and you still had the "legacy USB" port, in 2017 you do not have a choice, that's the difference.

There's no way I am buying a computer without the commonly used port, and does not have the newest one as well, like they did back then ;), one does not have to remove the other, when USB C will be widely adopted (we are not fat i give you that) they they could remove the legacy version.

15. citysnaps macrumors 68020

Why in the world would I want to use slower-than-molasses USB when FW800 was available, along with FW800 drives?

Again, if you're buying an expensive computer/laptop with far superior I/O, and you're fretting opening your wallet to buy a couple of $10 cables, maybe you should delay that laptop purchase until you can afford a couple of $10 cables without getting the shakes.

16. YaBe macrumors member

YaBe

It does not have to do with money all the time, I can spend 2000$ and I can very well spend 10$ for the adapter, but why should I limit other people 's choice?

Also speed is 1 part of te equation, why would i need to bring 2-3 adapters when I can carry none? Why do I need to update the cables to my older devices wich would never benefit from the added speed (like a printer, my usb fan, my usb miner and we can continue wich would have 0 benefit from USBC speed)?

17. citysnaps macrumors 68020

If you're happy with USB A, and you're not going to benefit, then for sure. Stay with 20 year old USB A. There are plenty of laptop manufacturers stuck in the past that will sell you a laptop with USB A. I'm sure glad Apple is forward thinking with the advantages of USB C. But then I don't get the shakes sweating buying a couple of proper cables.

18. YaBe macrumors member

YaBe

I am not arguing about USB C being the future (but we live in the present), and that it has advantages, I just do not understand why is a bad thing to have choices, and have both port for a transition period, it is not like in the example you made we were left with computer with FW port only and no USB...

I'd be sure glad Apple geve people both ports, and Glad I am not a person thinking about his/her needs only!

19. Tozovac macrumors 6502

Tozovac

Look, all I'm saying is somehow the things that were taken away during the time of SJ didn't significantly hinder the user experience for me (it often significantly helped, like after I got over the shock of no optical drive in the Air), while so many things being taken away after SJ are still really taking away the user experience for me, even after years of being given a chance to settle in (especially elements that made software so Apple-like).

20. citysnaps macrumors 68020

You have loads of choices. There are many laptop manufacturers out there. Open your wallet and support the manufacturer that meets your needs. Granted, it does take a bit of courage to vote with your wallet.

21. YaBe macrumors member

YaBe

Not that many choices if you want OS X :p...

As a matter of fact, as you said you like the future and forward thinking, and I did just that, I moved my entire work on an iPad Pro (wich is Apple's idea of the future of computing) 12.9 so as I said I am not thinking about my needs here, but still don't understand how people can claim that removing all ports but one is a great thing.

22. citysnaps macrumors 68020

You do have a choice. If you want OS X on a modern computer, then buy the cables you need to transition to far superior I/O.

If buying a couple of cables causes you to lose sleep, and that's more important than using MacOS, then there are a lot of USB A-ready computers out there.

We have to make choices everyday in our lives, on a variety of fronts. Just step up and make the choice that works for you and move forward/backward.

23. WWPD macrumors member

WWPD

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." -Gandalf

24. Tozovac, Oct 6, 2017

Tozovac macrumors 6502

Tozovac

Therein lies a major critique of today's "courageously forward-thinking" Apple a la Tim that many accept and love but which leaves out in the cold the many who find that the trade-offs aren't worth the supposed gains. Too much of today's Apple's "giving the customer something more and courageously new" centers around removing something that wasn't there last year. More fewer buttons/interfaces, more thinness, more smaller bezels, more minimization of software/UI/interface. Apple markets them as being "courageous" but to many like me they feel too unnecessarily over-the-line invasive when compared to the majority of "courageous" decisions made before 2011. Huge, huge difference now vs. "before" but with certain subtleties that too few recognize. How far can giving more by giving less be sustained?

25. BlargKing macrumors regular

BlargKing

From making decent premium computers/phones to making animated emojis. This is why I left the Apple ecosystem.