Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I still have my 4 that I preordered as soon as possible, after watching his keynote. Still one of my favorite devices, and still used quite often to this day.
I used to have a 4s in perfect condition. I let my daughter use it as an iPod and she lost it a year ago.

It still hurts......

Reactions: MartyvH

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I used to have a 4s in perfect condition. I let my daughter use it as an iPod and she lost it a year ago.

It still hurts......
Sorry to hear that!

Nice thing is, they are dirt cheap now, so if you wanted a nostalgia phone, craigslist, Swappa, or EBay make a great option to get one. Oddly, I still use mine for casual video watching because I absolutely can’t stand the new TV app, and my 4 is too old to have that.

Reactions: Juicy Box

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Apple never was on the cutting edge of technology
You have some interesting observations but I must push back against this one. Apple didn’t invent the circuit board, but they were the first to marry an easy, mouse-driven GUI with with an hand-carryable unibody computer. They didn’t invent the microHD but they were the first to put 5GB (instead of a CD’s worth) into a portable music player, let alone one with such a simple interface They didn’t invent catalog searching but now-ubiquitous drill-down searching first showed up for consumers in iTunes. They didn’t invent the cell phone, but now just about every smartphone looks more or less like an iPhone.

Just because Apple didn’t invent their ingredients (and in some cases, they did) doesn’t mean they weren’t cutting edge in what they produced. If your definition of cutting edge tech is the invention of a new polymer or solar cell or transistor, you’re right. But I think that’s not really relevant to a consumer electronics company. Apple has always been very cutting edge when it comes to bringing tech to us in a novel, better way. What was cutting edge about Apple and Jobs was putting the human at the center of the technology equation.

Edit: Additional thought - I still think Apple does this better than anyone else in the business, with two exceptions. One is the plug/adapter incompatibility silliness, which is small potatoes and will go away soon. The other is in AI, where they have fallen behind Google, which I would agree is very much cutting edge in this area. This is big potatoes, and I think Apple needs to get better much faster.

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Most likely not very different from the current product line-up.

...Aside from the fact that the iPhone would not have had the sleep/wake button on the side...

10 years ago, Apple was kickass. Now, it has a small attention span.

Last edited:

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Tim Cook is milking the Steve Jobs thing as much as possible to cover what a failure of a CEO he is. Using the same 4 year old design on a new phone, wow, that's ancient for tech gadgets, real progress there.

Tim's friendship with Steve was real, as evidenced by him nearly choking up at the recent iPhone event. To suggest that Tim is just bringing up his friend on the anniversary of his death to gloss over some imagined innovation failures is, well... the kind of word I'm not allowed to post on this forum.

These types of comments are why I wish we still had downvotes. The level of toxic drive-by posts has overtaken many discussions as trolls vote each other up. It's kind of disgusting for you to use Steve's death as a trolling opportunity.

Reactions: citysnaps and Jax44

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Why does everyone insist that everything at Apple was PERFECT under Steve? There were issues back then and there are issues now.

I've never heard anyone (not even myself) say that things were perfect then. But the Apple experience then with Jobs was certainly must more about new unique hardware tech every few years adorned with unique Apple-like UI/software that seemed designed with consumers and their "it looks amazing and just works" experience in mind first and foremost...unlike Tim's Apple where "new hardware" just means resizing the same old things and/or removing ports, buttons, and tactile features while also stripping down the UI/software to cater to the whims of a minimalist hardware designer. So yes, before was definitely different in a way that was much more closer to perfect than now.

Reactions: z970

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
From an insanely great company (1998-2012), to the greedy fashionable brand.

Rest in peace, Steve.

So true. The zenith for me was 2012. The Macbook Pros were great and had ports galore, the Mac Pro was readily upgradeable and Snow Leopard was probably my favorite OS of all time. Oh, and upgrade meant that no features were removed and they just added stuff.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Might still be true, at  - the Onion knows it all....;)
SteveJobs_theOnion_111006.png

Last edited:

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
I wish Steve Jobs was back.

Tim Cook manages Apple in a Numbskull manner. I'm sure he's a great individual, but for the life of me I can't figure out why Steve picked him. Tim is the absolutely wrong leader to lead Apple right now, he's worse than Gil. The only reason why people buy Apple now is because they're stuck in the walled garden. What a shame.

Mal_R

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
Because SJ was a Messiah for frothy Apple loyalists (i.e. all the ones on this thread that are so fanatic that in order to adulate Steve, they must instinctively throw hateful attacks on Cook). And since SJ is Messiah, please realize that a Messiah's death anniversary is more important than his birthday. (See for comparison, that Biblical guy who died on a Cross, his death anniversary is slightly more sacred than his birth anniversary).
So you just came here to be a troll.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I wish Steve Jobs was back.

Tim Cook manages Apple in a Numbskull manner. I'm sure he's a great individual, but for the life of me I can't figure out why Steve picked him. Tim is the absolutely wrong leader to lead Apple right now, he's worse than Gil. The only reason why people buy Apple now is because they're stuck in the walled garden. What a shame.

Looking at how successful Apple is today, it’s not that hard to see why. Tim Cook really is the best person there is to lead Apple.

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
Steve Jobs had ups and downs with his products, but the ups were definitely UP. His commencement speech at Stanford was amazing. I still watch it every so often (
).

The biggest reason Apple currently has some issues is due to the control Steve had over Jonathon Ive. Since Ive got control of so much in Apple (without Steve oversight), I really feel that they've entirely lost direction on how to keep things simple for consumers. iOS and MacOS have both gone downhill in my opinion. And the hardware. The totally empty white/grey with total lack of clarity on what a button really is drives me nuts. The Apple TV 4+ remote is legendary in how bad it is. The list goes on.

I think Apple will reinvigorate a bit when Ive calls it quits (I'm guessing two years at most), and when they finally get serious about their "hobbies". And please...give up on these fall events that have become so predictable. Just come out with products before the "sometime in December" release date.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Call me cynical but I think it's more Apple PR!

Putting "still inspiring us..." makes the message look like marketing.

The irony - Tim uses Steve's name to this day.....and hides behind his legacy and products..... Less playing victim bud!

Or maybe, just maybe, he's remembering a friend that he truly loved and respected. People here use and praise Steve's name every day, why can't Tim also think he's the standard that Apple should strive for and try to live up to without it being branded negatively?

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
The zenith for me was 2012.
That’s just sad.

In contrast, the last five years have been my most productive and satisfying since . . . my first Apple computer, the IIc. My iPadPro, the Pencil, my Watch, the AirPods, an insanely gorgeous new 5K iMac—not to mention the phones—plus a 2013 MacBook Pro that still performs beautifully.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
Some pathetic comments here tbh.

Not particularly Cooks biggest fan but it is clear as day that him and SJ were close friends and that Steves passing effected him deeply.

This kind of thing has always been handled very well by Cook's Apple imo. Respectful without being over the top, the beginning of last months keynote was a perfect example. I don't think I've ever heard Jobs mentioned in an Apple keynote since his death before Septembers event. I don't think it is milked at all.

Anyway Jobs was gone way too soon and the world is poorer for it. RIP.

Reactions: Solomani

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Tim Cook is milking the Steve Jobs thing as much as possible to cover what a failure of a CEO he is. Using the same 4 year old design on a new phone, wow, that's ancient for tech gadgets, real progress there.
You are correct, Tim Cook is the most successful CEO in the history of the world! He has taken Apple from $350 Billion in market cap to $800 Billion!

I join you in congratulating him. As you say, it’s amazing he could do so much, given Apples minimal product offerings over the last 6 years.

RuffyYoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2014
Serbia
Apple needs to reinforce quality control in their software, especially in iOS. They shunned iOS since it's 7th version and the competition is catching up rapidly. They need to bring back what made people fall in love with thei devices in the first place: really polished and good friendly design. Now it's buggy and looks awful.

Reactions: Tozovac and z970

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Nobody really knows whether Jobs would have allowed iOS7's UI to see the light of day or the removal of the "lickable buttons" I so miss, but yet I fully 100% know he would never have allowed the mess of an iOS UI we're stuck with currently, nor the Fisher Price-looking OS.

But for me the biggest criticism I have of Tim is his inability to recognize (and put a stop to) so much prioritization on "less is more." Today's Apple w/o Jobs is too much about offering more (and charging more by) providing less:

• More sleekness via fewer USB ports, no headphone jack, no magsafe, no function keys...flexibility and convenience be damned (and more work & dongles to do what used to be easy)
  • More thinness, battery life improvements be damned.
  • More emphasis on delicateness of design, durability be damned.
  • More removal of tactile buttons on the iPhone, convenience of unlocking w/o having to look at the device be damned. (more work to do what used to be easier)
  • More sleekness of the trackpad via ForceTouch, "feel" be damned.
  • More unnecessary minimalism and vagueness in the iOS/OSX, intuitiveness & prettiness of "Apple design" & "it just works" & joy-of-use be damned.

Interesting to see whether Tim lets Jony & Craig & the boys keep painting Apple into a corner of offering more by providing less. There's only so much more left to remove. Wonder if Apple will have the ability (and who) to recognize this unsustainable strategy & pivot in time.
In short, everything Steve Jobs had been doing while he was still alive? Because Steve never made products thinner at the expense of battery life, or removed ports, or championed the use of adaptors and docking stations, or introduced an iPhone with a glass back, or shipped a product with insufficient ram, right?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
In short, everything Steve Jobs had been doing while he was still alive? Because Steve never made products thinner at the expense of battery life, or removed ports, or championed the use of adaptors and docking stations, or introduced an iPhone with a glass back, or shipped a product with insufficient ram, right?

My first iPhone apple product with insufficient ram was the 6 plus - feel to name another

Steve did not have an obsession wth thinness , that was Ives , you will find the thinnes obession hit its mark post 2012

Ummm removal of legacy ports is one thing, dongles.....do you really thing Steve would have championed the user accessibility mess that dongles create? Really?

While I love the 4 , best design ever, the 5 improved on it , as a non glass back made it a more durable product, to go back after all this time to glass....is a compromise to bring in a gimmick feature.

You know what , we would also not have such a mess with product fragmentation if Steve were about, there would be no giant iPads or big iPhones, no notch , cause he was about user experience, the right size device . As an example, my iPad pad pro 12.9, awesome device, crap daily user experience in hand....I'll leave you with that thought. There is a reason I pick up my iPad Air 2 90% over it

Apple under Steve made mistakes. Difference being he was about the user experience , Cook is about profit. Take the shuffle 3rd generation. Steve brought back the bigger and uglier shuffle over the sleek and cluster**** user experience that was the 3rd gen. If you ever used the two, you would understand how important design is when it's centred around the user and not based on just making something look great....

Last edited:
Reactions: antonis and z970
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.