Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook spoke with Charlie Rose in a two-part interview, and the first segment is airing today. In a series of video clips, Tim Cook talks about Steve Jobs, Apple's Beats Electronics acquisition, the Apple TV, and Apple's plans for the future.

In the first clip, Cook again comments on Steve Jobs' ongoing influence at Apple, saying Jobs is in his heart and deep in Apple's DNA. "His spirit will always be the foundation of the company," says Cook. Cook also gives one other interesting tidbit about Jobs -- his fourth floor office has remained untouched since his passing.

The complete first part of Tim Cook's Charlie Rose interview will air later tonight on PBS, with the second part of the interview airing on Monday night.

Article Link: Tim Cook Speaks on Steve Jobs, Apple's Interest in TV, and Beats Acquisition in New Interview

farewelwilliams

macrumors 601
Jun 18, 2014
"we make the best products"
even before watching the video, I know he's going to say this at least once.

Comment

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
In the second video he basically says literally they working on changing the TV industry.

Comment

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
I thought the first clip was the best. They practically have a memorial to Steve with his office left as is. I hope it stays that way for decades.

Comment

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
Cook is starting to annoy me.

Can't he disappear into background again.

Comment

flottenheimer

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Is the entire interview available anywhere online?

PS: Recently, Tim's stage and TV performances have improved dramatically. His stiffness is gone. His tempo is up. And his energy, passion, humor and even a bit of warmth is shining through. Great stuff, Tim!

Last edited:
Comment

ryansimmons323

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
United Kingdom
That thing about the office reminds me of Walt Disney.

Exactly like that, they kept his office untouched for years until they set up the archives and moved it piece-by-piece to Disneyland. Even his notes left on his desk from his final day remained untouched.

Comment

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
His wording on Beats is very interesting. He's impressed with the idea behind the streaming service, the talent, and the growth they achieved. He said nothing about the products themselves. :roll eyes:

Edit: Which is actually encouraging. If he said "Beats makes the best headphones in the world," we probably wouldn't have much to look forward to. I think they'll improve the headphones in the future.

Last edited:
Comment

rockarollr

Suspended
Apr 3, 2010
USA
"Tim Cook's full Charlie Rose interview will air later tonight on PBS, with the second part of the interview airing on Monday night."

That sentence just doesn't make sense. If the "full" interview is airing later tonight on PBS, how can there be a second part that will air on Monday night? Stooooopid... :rolleyes:

Comment

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
His wording on Beats is very interesting. He's impressed with the idea behind the streaming service, the talent, and the growth they achieved. He said nothing about the products themselves. :rolleyes:

He knows the sound is sub-par.:D

Comment

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
People will continue to mock him, but Tim has come a long way in his ability to communicate his passion, opinions, and support for what the company is doing. It is clear that he's incredibly bright and does have a real sense of ownership for his decisions. He may never be as charismatic as Jobs, but he fundamentally understands what needs to be done and is piloting the company in that direction.

I think it becomes more obvious every day that indeed he was the correct choice to take the helm. That's not to say that we can't disagree with his decisions, but he's a far cry from the long list of failures that once held the CEO title bookended by Jobs.

With respect to Beats, pay careful attention to the order in which he describes the reasons for purchasing them. If you still think this is about headphones, you're not listening.

As for TV, it is a mess that I'm sure they're attempting to wade through. We may not see anything in this area for several more years (contractual hell).

Comment

orbital~debris

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Anyone know when this will be broadcast on Bloomberg TV in the UK?
Every episode I've looked at on the Sky electronic programme guide shows the same generic info, with no details on who is appearing on each edition of the show…
Guess I'll have to Sky+ all the episodes!:rolleyes:

Comment

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
Apple Watch 2, an Apple TV set, an even thinner MacBook Air, plus new Nanos & iPad Air 2 in a couple of weeks.
Not a bad pipeline. Hope they give AW preorder data during the iPA2 event.

Comment

yaxomoxay

macrumors demi-god
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
That thing about the office reminds me of Walt Disney.

Exactly like that, they kept his office untouched for years until they set up the archives and moved it piece-by-piece to Disneyland. Even his notes left on his desk from his final day remained untouched.

Seeing Walt Disney's and Wehrner Von Braun's offices is one of the coolest, yet strangest memories I have.

Comment

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
His wording on Beats is very interesting. [...] He said nothing about the products themselves. :rolleyes:

Because the product is crappy. Beats just made them into a fashion thing.

Cook does the same thing with the Watch now - an uninspired, useless fashion item.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.