Tim Cook Talks Apple Watch Water Resistance and European Apple Pay Expansion

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 25, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    While on a trip in Germany to visit with German Chancellor Angela Merkel and meet with a few German-based Apple staff members, Apple CEO Tim Cook told Apple Store employees in Berlin that he wears his Apple Watch constantly, "even in the shower", according to iGen.fr [Google Translate].

The new piece of information from the Apple CEO could mean the company's been working on adding more water resistant features to the upcoming wearable, since at its early-September reveal event the company warned off wearing the device in the shower.

Cook went on to say that he charges his Apple Watch every night, which seems to fall in line with what he's said previously on the topic. But, as Apple Insider points out, some of his comments regarding the new information on the Apple Watch could have been lost in translation.

He also told a few of the Apple Store workers, specifically in fielding a question asked by a visually impaired employee, that apps and accessibility features focused on aiding the disabled would be coming to the watch over time. Cook even commented on a few recent bits of bad press the company has faced in regards to the working conditions at its Chinese facilities.
    Concerning the overseas launch of Apple Pay, which has been gaining steam in rumors lately, Cook stated that a European launch for the contactless payment service will come "before the end of the year." Cook's trip continues this week (via The Marker) [Google Translate], with the CEO moving on to Israel to visit the newly-built Apple offices in Herzliya and a planned meeting with former President Shimon Peres.

Article Link: Tim Cook Talks Apple Watch Water Resistance and European Apple Pay Expansion

2. joshuaclinton macrumors member

"even in the shower.."

I'd like to know how many Apple Watches Tim has gone through.

3. 0815 macrumors 68000

good - but won't stop the haters from hating it.

4. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

I would not read to much what he tells employees at the store. Question will be how the watch is specified. I hope that they can improve the water resistance to at least 30m.

5. willwritefortea macrumors newbie

I didn't realize this was such a big feature for so many people.

What are you aiming to do on your watch that can't wait the five or ten minutes it takes to actually shower?

6. thekeyring macrumors 68040

December 31 2015: "Apple Pay launches in UK."

Nailed it!

I'm kidding, obviously :) I could have upgraded my phone early, but I thought I'd wait for my upgrade to come round. By then the iPhone 6S would have launched and - hopefully - Apple Pay in the UK.

7. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

Apple Pay adoption is rapidly increasing, working conditions in China are improving. The trend is positive.

8. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

I'm still waiting to see the prices. I'm not one to wear a watch in the shower anyway.

So water resistance isnt a problem for me. Price will be a factor not looking to go over £400 for the Stainless steel 38mm.

9. neuropsychguy macrumors 65816

neuropsychguy

Of course not because they can't go deep sea fishing or scuba diving with it on (not that they really would). Some people will always complain about anything.

10. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

I think, it's all about convenience. I want to wear my Apple Watch all day and don't want to remember specific situations where I have to take it off.

11. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Of course he wears it in the shower. He make enough money during the time it takes me to write this post to buy a new Apple Watch every hour for the rest of his life.

12. LordVic macrumors 603

its not necessarily the shower. thats just an example (I know i don't wear mine during showering)

but you know, I do wash my hands regularly during the day, Especially coming out of the toilet. When I wash my hands, I use lots of soap and water. and do wash up to my wrists (proper handwashing technique, it's a habit). Wearing a watch, it WILL get wet. it will on occasion get under the flow of water.

What about rain? can you guarantee during a torrential downpour, no water will get on your wrist watch?

what about regions of the world with extreme humidity? Water resistance helps here too.

Simply put, the more water resistant a watch can be, the better.

13. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised...

[​IMG]

... oh wait, that was one of the major criticisms in The League of Apple Watch Naysayers handbook.

14. thekeyring macrumors 68040

I think people want to put it on in the morning and take it off at night without thinking much about it.

That's why people want a 20 hour battery life, no questions asked. They don't want to worry "I'd better not use the Watch too much, I'm working late tonight and the battery might die".

15. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

You don't like to read your messages in the shower like everyone else? :eek:

16. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Control music while in the shower?

17. 0815 macrumors 68000

I think you are taking this too literal. Don't think most people care if you can take it into the shower - but they care if they can use it during day to day activities where it might get under water for short amounts of time - or maybe they can't wash the hands without making a wet mess all around them.

So yes, I think it is a feature to care about ... a nice to have, but not must have.

18. madsci954, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

madsci954 macrumors 68030

Actually, he probably just walks down to the warehouse, grabs a new one of the style he wants, and puts it on. And no one bats an eye lol

19. iSee, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

It's about not having to worry about it and not being forced to fiddle with it.
    You want a watch to serve you, not the other way around.

That's a good point. Tim Cook can do whatever he wants but if Apple recommends that it not be worn in the shower, then you are taking a chance. TC can replace Edition watches by the dozen. There's wiggle room, of course, because you can always claim when going in for a replacement that you never wore your Apple Watch in the shower. But no one wants that hassle, a lot of people like to be honest, and surely there are limits.

20. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Well for me personally, I like to listen to music/podcasts during my shower, so it would be nice to be able to control that. Also, check the time. Those are the main things that stick out to me.

That being said, if the Watch has a quick charge capability (say an hour or so. The battery will be pretty small), then I might prefer to charge during that time to allow myself to sleep with my watch. That would allow for sleep tracking and the tap to wake feature. Not to mention a mini nightlight if I need to get up in the middle of the night

21. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

That's actually a good use I never thought of.

22. Keirasplace macrumors 601

I can't wait for the millions of flashlight apps for the watch ;-).

You'd need bluetooth speakers in your shower (or near) to do that (or shower proof headphone ;-).

----------

That was already a feature (washing hands); this is supposedly something more than that.

23. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Awesome thought. Now I can install a great sorround system in the bathroom and control music from the watch and sing to full lunges.

24. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

Maybe apple watch is water resistant but they just didn't have the feature nailed down by 100% and didn't want to make false promises so they kept it out.

25. Keirasplace macrumors 601

That still doesn't mean engineers have to shoot for something; actual numbers, say 4h of screen time/direct interaction per day.

4h of active use (looking at the screen/replying) is a hell of a long time to look at a watch... Yet, some people seem to think that this means they'll have to ration themselves all day because of that.

What kind of lives must you live to be affraid of running out of battery juice because you stared at your watch for 4h!!

For most people, as expected, this won't be an issue. It is not like Apple has not made consumer battery devices before you know.

I don't even look at my Iphone's screen for more than 2h a day (and I think that's too much).