Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Awesome thought. Now I can install a great sorround system in the bathroom and control music from the watch and sing to full lunges.

It'd be great if apps like Sonos are put on the Apple Watch - could control the Play:1 in our bathroom from the shower! :D

Having said that, in the mornings I'm barely awake enough to stand up, never mind navigate a ~1" screen and operate an app...

NissanGuy23

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
Wages are going up faster than anywhere else...yea, went from $1 a day to $2 a day...100% increase!

heeloliver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2014
I'll still probably take it off, but this is good to know. Besides, the 5-10 min i'm in the shower, I could let it charge. I can't imagine charging it could take terribly long, as it's probably a pretty small battery inside the watch.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Actually,he probably just walks down to the warehouse, grabs a new one of the style he wants, and puts it on. And no one are an eye lol

Pssh... he probably just changes watches daily like we change socks... or bandaids.

Showers with the watch on gets out and tosses the old watch into the large bin full of old Apple Watches, straps on a brand new one his butler has waiting for him on a Sapphire platter and goes on with his day. :p

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
That still doesn't mean engineers have to shoot for something; actual numbers, say 4h of screen time/direct interaction per day.

4h of active use (looking at the screen/replying) is a hell of a long time to look at a watch... Yet, some people seem to think that this means they'll have to ration themselves all day because of that.

What kind of lives must you live to be affraid of running out of battery juice because you stared at your watch for 4h!!

For most people, as expected, this won't be an issue. It is not like Apple has not made consumer battery devices before you know.

I don't even look at my Iphone's screen for more than 2h a day (and I think that's too much).

I agree :) I wasn't trying to hate on Apple, only explain why someone might prefer it if the Watch was water-proof, or had a long battery, so it could be worn all day.

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Glub glub glub glub glub. What's that? The sound of aquifers around the world being drained as millions of teen guys start taking longer and more frequent showers after discovering the Apple Watch can play video in the shower.

Last edited:

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I don't undertand why so many people want to wear their watch in the shower. I have a Pebble which is designed to that level of resistance, and I never do. My arm gets nasty under there, Im going to clean it when I'm in the shower. The pool seems fun, but Bluetooth has trouble with water, so it is pretty useless.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I'm not worried about in "the shower" but do want to wear it in "a shower" with the difference being the second option is when I'm out on my road bike I plan to have the watch on and do continue to ride even in the rain. I use a Garmin 500 on the bike for several reasons but one of the main reasons is its ability to deal with water/rain without any issues. I have forgotten it in my jersey and run it through a wash cycle with no issue. I would like to be able to do the same with the watch if that accident happens.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I agree :) I wasn't trying to hate on Apple, only explain why someone might prefer it if the Watch was water-proof, or had a long battery, so it could be worn all day.

I agree on both counts; not saying you were "hating" (I dislike that expression now).

I'm just saying that 4h of active time (looking at the screen), will actually get you through the day because 99% of people don't spend that much time doing that.

FelixAng

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2013
Hong Kong
As tight-lipped as Apple is, if Tim says it's shower-ready he's basically saying: "Don't worry, folks, the Watch will survive water in daily life."

ksb315

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
water resistance was the biggest turn off for me actually - i don't need to be able to shower with it, but imagine being out somewhere reasonably far from shelter and it starts down pouring? I don't want to have to buy another watch if that happens. That's a non issue for a phone because they're in cases and usually in pockets free from the weather.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
its not necessarily the shower. thats just an example (I know i don't wear mine during showering)

but you know, I do wash my hands regularly during the day, Especially coming out of the toilet. When I wash my hands, I use lots of soap and water. and do wash up to my wrists (proper handwashing technique, it's a habit). Wearing a watch, it WILL get wet. it will on occasion get under the flow of water.

What about rain? can you guarantee during a torrential downpour, no water will get on your wrist watch?

what about regions of the world with extreme humidity? Water resistance helps here too.

Simply put, the more water resistant a watch can be, the better.

Couldn't have said it better.
My G-shock goes through numerous showers with me. Is it because I wanted to? Nope. But more like it is more convenient to leave it on.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Glad the watch is water resistance but I hope future versions have it water proof.
Enough for swimming and do water sports. Don't expect it for scuba but if could be like 5 to 10m water proof that would be awesome.

BigBear14

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Wrong thread .... or are you one of those who try to hijack every thread to promote the personal wish list of what others should do for you?

No it's not the wrong thread, it's precisely the thread to voice that concern considering the nature of the :apple:Pay announcement coming worldwide before the end of the year.

Others should do for him? You mean the company selling him a product with features promising to be introduced?

Seannyb

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
Oregon
Control music while in the shower?

Now we're talking! I like the way you think.

----------

I can't wait for the millions of flashlight apps for the watch ;-).

You'd need bluetooth speakers in your shower (or near) to do that (or shower proof headphone ;-).

Actually you could have your phone plugged into your speakers and control your phone with your watch ;) No bluetooth speakers necessary.

cjc2104

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2013
New York, New York
The convenience of water resistence is key, imagine if you were caught in the rain and it wasn't? No point in wearing it in the shower though, it has to be linked to your iphone to do anything....

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
For me, it's not being able to control music in the shower, or to go scuba diving with it.

It's a device that's on my wrist all day, so it's nice to know it'll survive when I inevitably do the washing up without taking it off.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
The convenience of water resistence is key, imagine if you were caught in the rain and it wasn't? No point in wearing it in the shower though, it has to be linked to your iphone to do anything....

True, and we all know how flowing shower water disrupts wireless connectivity. Personally I think that Apple has a secret agenda here - while they want us all to believe that it is about the "'fashion statement' Apple Watch", the truth is that they are just throwing a toy watch on the market to generate a demand for obscenely high priced waterproof iPhone cases. ...YES you've read it first here - WATERPROOF IPHONE CASES!!!! Made of genuine Chinese cow leather - THIS is the product that they are really trying to promote.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Wrong thread .... or are you one of those who try to hijack every thread to promote the personal wish list of what others should do for you?

not hijacking the thread, pointing out that canada is not only read but important, the article mentions pay and therefore this is relevant

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
The greater water resistance is definitely something I would like. I'm a barista and the occasional latte or milk will hit my watch. More importantly, when washing dishes I don't have to take off my current watch and I would like to keep it that way with Apple Watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.