Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a new interview with CBS Mornings, Apple CEO Tim Cook touched on a wide range of topics, including the iPhone 14's new Emergency SOS via Satellite feature, the future of Twitter, and what it means for the app on the App Store, and what's next for Cook after he steps down as CEO of the company.

In a teaser for the interview earlier this week, Cook said Apple will be deliberate in its hiring amid economic uncertainty. "That means we're continuing to hire, but not everywhere in the company are we hiring," Cook said, amid reports the company has halted hirings. In the full interview, Cook talked about the iPhone 14's Emergency SOS via Satellite feature, which launched earlier this week to iPhone 14 users in the United States and Canada.
I'm a hiker, and so I'm frequently out in places where there is no service, and you don't want there to be poles out there either. But now, to have the ability to contact in the event of an emergency is huge. You know, if you go to national parks, they are largely not covered by cellular service, and so this happens to people all the time, and it feels so great to be able to talk to a satellite hundreds of miles away traveling at 15,000 miles an hour.
Cook also touched on Apple's stance on privacy, saying the company does not believe in "sucking that information [user data] up into the cloud to make decisions off of it." Cook added: "We believe in getting the bare minimum level of information that we need to provide somebody a service."

For the first time, Cook also commented on recent developments at Twitter following its takeover by Tesla CEO Elon Musk. When asked about what the recent changes mean for the relationship between Twitter and Apple and the app's presence on the App Store, Cook said: "They say that they're going to continue to moderate, and so I count on them to do that because I don't think anybody really wants hate speech on their platform."

During the interview, Cook declined to respond directly to a question regarding his future at Apple, saying instead, "it's a privilege of a lifetime to be here," and "I get to work with people I really love to work with and spend time with them. And so, there's a lot of joy in my life because of Apple. And it's really hard to envision life without Apple."

Article Link: Tim Cook Talks iPhone 14 Emergency SOS via Satellite, Future of Twitter, and More in New Interview

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Imagine going out for a hike and walking past Tim Cook.

> and it feels so great to be able to talk to a satellite 100 of miles away traveling at fifteen thousand miles an hour.

Though he'd just be a blur if he were hiking at 15,000 miles per hour!

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Cook was also asked what about's next for him after Apple. As expected, Cook declined to respond to the question directly, saying instead, "it's a privilege of a lifetime to be here." "And I get to work with people I really love to work with and spend time with them. And so, there's a lot of joy in my life because of Apple. And it's really hard to envision life without Apple," he concluded.

What? Not building yet another billionaire space rocket? Or buying Snapchat? How about becoming CEO of two or three companies simultaneously? Another possibility: a supply chain and cost management consultancy called Love To. Come on Tim, get with the program!

Aug 30, 2022
He pretty much confirmed that he is not going anywhere. Tim Cook: Lot of joy and It's really hard to envision life without Apple. There you have it, folks. He's not retiring anytime soon.
I concur. I can’t really blame him for staying though, he made Apple omnipresent and the most powerful company in the world. Quite impressive imo.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
He pretty much confirmed that he is not going anywhere anytime soon. Tim Cook: "A Lot of joy to be at Apple and It's really hard to envision life without Apple". There you have it, folks. He's not retiring anytime soon.
I think he’ll retire by the end of the decade — this would put him at 70. Or it could be sooner. Craig is 53 now, so maybe the transition should happen sooner.

Tim’s babies are AR/VR and Apple Cars. If both fails, he is gone. If he fails on cars, he is gone.
I agree! It's been a very long time since Apple has introduced any new products (that were not in the market) under Tim Cook. Tim Cook's focus is not much on introducing new Apple products. He is not seemed to be product-focused. He is more into services. It will be interesting to see how AR/VR will play in the market under his leadership.

I think he’ll retire by the end of the decade — this would put him at 70. Or it could be sooner. Craig is 53 now, so maybe the transition should happen sooner.
That's a possibility but I don't think he will be leaving anytime soon. The whole Apple's leadership has changed so much and Cook and Eddy Cue are pretty much the only ones left. I'm not sure if Craig will be the one taking the role of the CEO.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Cook declined to respond directly to a question regarding his future at Apple, saying instead, "it's a privilege of a lifetime to be here,"

Could have done with talking about his future. Thanks for the memories Tim but it's time to go

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Unpopular opinion, despite a few flaws, I think Tim Cook is a fine CEO.
More of a caretaker than a leader. He inherited an Apple that had tremendous momentum, and he made sure nothing derailed that in terms of financial growth. Instead of taking risks, he has played it safe. Instead of pushing innovation, he has milked blood from stone. The result ten years later is that Apple is stagnating in every way except financially. And as long as they continue to make money, there is no "legitimate" complaint over the direction. Even if long-time users and followers of Apple can point to a million things that have gotten worse under Tim Cook.

Reactions: Feyl

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Cook also touched on Apple's stance on privacy, saying the company does not believe in "sucking that information [user data] up into the cloud to make decisions off of it." Cook added: "We believe in getting the bare minimum level of information that we need to provide somebody a service."

I guess Tim Cook no longer believes in the fundamental right to privacy...

"We believe that people have a fundamental right to privacy. The American people demand it, the constitution demands it, morality demands it."

... of letting the user be in control of their personal information...

"We believe the customer should be in control of their own information."

... and letting the user deciding what, if anything, to share. I guess Tim Cook no longer thinks "you should ever have to trade it [privacy] for a service."

privacy.png

Sorry Timmy, but showing users irrelavant ads has nothing to do with providing us a service.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why are they asking Tim Cook about Twitter? What do they expect him to say? Why should we care what he thinks about Twitter?

Reactions: Feyl

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
More of a caretaker than a leader. He inherited an Apple that had tremendous momentum, and he made sure nothing derailed that in terms of financial growth. Instead of taking risks, he has played it safe. Instead of pushing innovation, he has milked blood from stone. The result ten years later is that Apple is stagnating in every way except financially. And as long as they continue to make money, there is no "legitimate" complaint over the direction. Even if long-time users and followers of Apple can point to a million things that have gotten worse under Tim Cook.
I have to disagree, the switch to Apple Silicon alone was a risk and it has been going very well.

Reactions: citysnaps
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.