Tim Cook to Deliver 2018 Commencement Address at Duke University on May 13

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 20, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Duke University today announced that Apple CEO Tim Cook will deliver the 2018 commencement address on May 13 in Wallace Wade Stadium on the university's campus in Durham, North Carolina. Cook earned an MBA from Duke's Fuqua School of Business in 1988 and has served on the university's Board of Trustees since 2015.
    As part of today's announcement, Duke included a brief video revealing its commencement speaker selection using Animoji, with Cook making an appearance as the fox.

In addition to this year's upcoming appearance at Duke, Cook has delivered a number of other commencement addresses in recent years, including at his undergraduate alma mater Auburn University in 2010, at George Washington University in 2015, and at Massachusetts Institute of Technology last year.

Article Link: Tim Cook to Deliver 2018 Commencement Address at Duke University on May 13

2. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    These things are always a drag to sit through. Tim Cook isn't worse than the majority of anodyne commencement speakers. He's just the same, which is bad.

3. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I disagree. Most of us only get to sit through a handful of them; our own, perhaps one for a brother or sister, and then those for our own children. All should be proud moments, and not something we find boring.

Oh, and I'd hardly call the commencement speech linked below "a drag."

https://www.ted.com/talks/steve_jobs_how_to_live_before_you_die

4. ImperialForces macrumors member

Give the speech to a collage that doesn’t charge $200,000 for a 4 year degree.

Duke is Puke. Tar Heels!!!!

5. craigmak macrumors member

I will have to disagree. My commencement speaker slammed the school chancellor and the department he was in before striking it rich. It was very entertaining.

6. xnu macrumors 6502

xnu

I love Tim Cook. Good for him, good for Apple, good for Duke.

7. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

I hate Duke and that pompous, self-centered buffoon Christian Laettner.

8. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

I would rather watch Steve Jobs’s Commencement Speech at Stanford all day long.

9. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

I just want to see Tim Cook get up there and say he finally saw The Last Jedi and deliver an impassioned hour long rant on everything wrong with it, to a completely bewildered audience.

Make it one for the ages, Tim.

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Has anyone noticed Tim has the habit all the time, again and again starting a sentence with:

"I couldn't be more"

I couldn't be more excitied
    I couldn't be more happier

etc etc.....

11. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

A euphemism for “for this event, my emotions cap at a 3”?

12. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

OK I don’t mind Animoji but man this was cringeworthy.

13. technopimp macrumors 6502a

This where Tim will reveal that, for the past four years, the university has been silently transferring all of the graduates credits into other non-major programs. They felt it made sense to help them diversify. So, unfortunately, no one has enough to actually graduate with their chosen degree. However, for the low, low price of $29,000, they will replace that degree with a brand new one.

14. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

LAETTNER?! That’s the best you can do?? A 30-year-dated basketball reference? Lmao!

15. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Swampthing

16. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

17. MacLawyer macrumors regular

MacLawyer

Sadly, Duke has just scored 4 out the top 10 2019 recruiting class.

18. HiVolt macrumors 6502

HiVolt

I just can't stand Tim Cook's speaking style... Long, drawn out, often sounds like he's whispering outloud, just the general tone doesn't sit with me.

19. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

He needs to just say: "I couldn't even!"
    --- Post Merged, Jan 21, 2018 ---
    The animosity seemed like they were missing and misreading facial movements... or maybe they were working as expected. Dunno, but they didn't look as polished as the commercials.

20. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

Pff...did they assume the genders of those animals? How not done...

why Is the unicorn female?

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Having been thought a few graduations I can't remember the words of one single commencement speaker -- and some were big gets for the time. No one remembers these things. Speakers are a status symbol for school and speaker, and once it's it the can it's on to the next. Heck, I remember concerts better. Funny how people get so emotional about what is the equivalent to the clock striking 12pm. I mean, yes, high profile people typically give commencement speeches. They give speeches year round.

22. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

I’ve never encountered anyone who said a commencement speech inspired them. None can even remember who gave the address. Steve Jobs’ famous one is probably the only memorable one I’ve heard of.

23. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Sigh....I really got cheated out of my commencement address. Some Verizon or AT&T exec, I don’t remember the name.

24. Kabeyun, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018

Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

Although not technically a commencement speech, Seth McFarlane’s 2006 Class Day address at Harvard ranks up there.